Is there a study group for learning Tarot in general?

Ayram

I did a search first - for general tarot study groups - and clicked on one whose title fit this description, but the options seemed limited. I guess what I'm asking is: is there a group (or would anyone like to be in a group) that studies each card, one at a time, together, regardless of what deck?

I'm learning the order of the major arcana before the meanings, just for having a good framework, then the numbers by name (e.g. card 15 is death), and then finally the good stuff: the meanings of each card one by one. Eventually I'll work on special pairs, spreads and other details. I've only just finished studying the Empress so I have a long way to go (even though I've studied most of them over the years but only briefly, so I never remember anything in-depth)!

If there's such a group, please direct me there, and if not, please let me know if you'd be interested in starting such a group with me. Thanks!

-Ayram

OliviaRose

If there isn't already a group like this I would be interested in joining yours:)

sharpchick

Here are a couple of links you might find useful - they are posted as stickies under Using Tarot Cards.

This one is about card interpretations, and is grouped by Major and Minor Arcana:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=14874

This one has all those durn questions about readng rituals, etc.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15119

Here's the link to "Thirteen's Tarot Card Meanings" on Aeclectic's main site:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

If you are wanting some intensive study, Barnes and Noble University (online) has a pretty frequent tarot class.

That should get you started. ;)

Sulis

Moderator note

The 78 week card studies in Using Tarot Cards study cards from different decks.

The Tarot Study Group forum is really for studying specific tarot decks.
We've had groups that study the court cards here before but just studying each card from different decks really belongs in the Using Tarot Cards forum.

Here's a link to the latest card in the 78 week study - The Moon (18) http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=21461

Just type 78 weeks into the Search engine and do a search in titles only.

Those links provided by Sharpchick are very good too.

Sulis xx
co-moderator - Tarot Study Groups

Ayram

Thanks Sharpchick and Sulis -

I know about all but one of those stickies Sharpchick, but appreciate and saved the one you gave me that I didn't have.

Sulis - I'd forgotten about the 78 days thing and saved that too, thanks.

Oliviarose - I'm up for a mini "study group" if you still are! Just PM me if you want to find a way to study a little together and maybe someone else will jump on board later on, too. If not - or regardless - we can look into the threads/stickies that Sharpchick and Sulis suggest.

Thanks!

werdy

ayram i would also be up for it if you want to form a study group though i dont have cards yet but will in the next day or so

Ayram

Great, Werdy!

What got you interested in Tarot (if you don't mind my asking), and what deck did you order?

werdy

hiya

have not ordered a deck as such have been asking a few people i know what they suggest ,they really have not said much on the subject as yet apart from a rider waite deck i looked at a deck that was advertised on ebay the other night but just did not grab me the way i think it should
i was going to go to a few of the spiritual book shops tomorrow to see what they have as well
maybe you can suggest something as well?

Sulis

Moderator Note

Please see my previous post.

The discussion of cards from various decks is already taking place in Using Tarot Cards - that is the correct forum - a study group already exists - The 78 week study

Thanks

Sulis -co-moderator - Tarot Study Groups

Ayram

Werdy -

Sorry - this turned out really long!

While I *shouldn't* make suggestions for decks (I mean it's such a personal thing), I wouldn't mind sharing why I got the ones i got - and also I do feel confident in suggesting that you DO go to a spiritual bookstore/gift shop to see the cards in person, as opposed to making your decision from seeing them online. Some sites show the pictures better than others though. This forum - as you probably already know - has samples of the cards:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarota.shtml
Just click on the card to see a handful of cards from that deck.
Also there's a thread on here of links if you want to see the whole decks - not just a few samples:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=17948

I can't tell if I'm having good taste or just being a follower, but I feel comfortable buying the decks that have the 5 star ratings and best reviews (or best sellers or whatever). When I went to see them in person at my local store, it just so happened that I agreed they were some of the best, even though over the internet I didn't necessarily agree. Often I'd love some less favorable decks online and then it turns out in person wouldn't like them much at all. In person is everything. I tend to like decks that don't have much in the way of borders, with Thoth being the exception for some reason. Same with too much writing on the cards - kinda bugs me - even if it's helpful for us beginners. I also think beginners are better off with a deck that can be shuffled without too much trouble (a little big is okay but really big is a pain)...though I bought a bigger deck just for something new and different, recently.

As for the Waite decks (Rider-Waite or Universal Waite or whichever version), some people turn their noses up about it and say they're more for beginners, while others who've been doing it for decades say they still like they're old trusty Waite deck. Either way, I got it because I WAS a beginner (and still am), but mostly because most books use those images as examples and make reference to the meanings of those particular decks most often, so finding books to learn about Tarot in general was a lot easier, with that deck; it really seems to be universal.

It might be helpful to buy one of those, but to also buy another deck that you pick solely on your own intuition or the "pretty pictures" or the "powerful pictures," etc. Something that attracts you for whatever the reason. Between the two decks, you may have more fun with the learning process. It's also nice to be able to compare different decks, pick up a particular deck depending on the mood you're in, use them for different purposes, or use a second deck to ask the same question and see if you get similar answers/cards - e.g. you can use a second deck as a "clarification" deck when you need it for that purpose. Oh - and - I think I've read on here that some decks will "respond" to some people better or vice-versa...so you might try doing a reading on a friend some day and have no luck with one of your decks, then go to the next deck a few minutes later and have a really accurate reading.

I myself had only the one deck for almost 10 years (hardly ever studying it/using it though), before getting into it this time which is about the third time over the 10 years, and recently buying three new decks! One of them doesn't really count though (the Whimsical Tarot deck) because I bought it for my little boy who keeps wanting to play with my cards. The other two decks I bought were A.C. Crowley's Thoth deck (under "Thoth"):
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/aleister-crowley-thoth/ (got the larger size)
and the Goddess Tarot deck:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/goddess/index.shtml
I got these two partly because they're so popular (the follower in me!) and also because of the way they made me feel (and also they were in-stock!). The Thoth deck intrigued me by its look, in the store, even before I ever read about its popularity, but I wasn't sure exactly why it intrigued me - they were somehow quite different and seemed of high quality - and also because people say they have a very strong energy about them and that feels accurate to me, when I look at them. Also I liked the "art deco" feel to them and the big size of the deck I happened to get. I was going to buy only one new deck for myself that day but I just couldn't decide between Thoth and the Goddess deck so I got both, telling myself the indecision was a sign I should get them both! The Goddess deck felt really positive compared to all other decks I had or was buying, and happy and bright and simple yet classy. I liked that they weren't too tall and rectangular - again - just for something different, shape-wise (not because they fit better in my hands or anything like that). Note though: many say be sure you like the feel or size in your hands before buying, if possible). I thought the Goddess deck would be appreciated by my girlfriends who are always asking me to do a reading on them even though I'm not good enough yet. They have same meanings as general decks but use some different words which seem more poignant for women, too. They also appeal to my feminine side when I'm feeling that way, even though I tend to be pretty middle-of-the-road (not girly girly or masculine) in general. Finally, I liked that i liked both decks from what I could see over the internet AND in person. To sum up this looooong book I'm writing you (!), I use the Univeral Waite deck to do most readings on myself and to study Tarot, I use the Thoth deck when I'm feeling a little dark or intense or need extra guidance, and I use the Goddess deck when I'm feeling light and hopeful or need extra guidance.

There are still lots of other decks I like (don't feel the need to own them all but would someday like to have a few more) and you can see the list under my profile I think. At least I think I still like them...not really sure anymore! Most I haven't seen in person though.

I'd like to know which decks appeal to you! It's fun to see what people like....it tells something about them, you know? ;-)

SO sorry I gave you so much to read (!).