Newsflash - Crowley is not God

cesara

I kinda chuckled reading through this thread ...

I'm not so sure he actually 'admitted' to his faults....they were only brought to light by people who wanted to discredit him. Crowley was eccentric; he was egocentric -- he loved attention...good or bad.

He was bad with money, leeched off of others, and was addicted to pain killers. He also wrote some pretty amazing stuff....designed some pretty amazing tarot cards....

His 'negative' side does not negate his more 'positive' one....but they don't enhance each other, either....

firecatpickles

Aeon418 said:
I was trying to take the view that the Christianity of hypocrisy and cruelty was not true Christianity. I did not hate God or Christ, but merely the God and Christ of the people whom I hated. It was only when the development of my logical faculties supplied the demonstration that I was compelled to set myself in opposition to the Bible itself. It does not matter that the literature is sometimes magnificent and that in isolated passages the philosophy and ethics are admirable. The sum of the matter is that Judaism is a savage, and Christianity a fiendish, superstition.

Confessions ~ Aleister Crowley
I wonder how Crowley would have turned out had the Gnostic Gospels at Nag Hammadi been found within his own lifetime?

KK
:TCHAR

cesara

kilts_knave said:
I wonder how Crowley would have turned out had the Gnostic Gospels at Nag Hammadi been found within his own lifetime?

KK

*nods* yes, interesting, indeed.

Aeon418

Why do you think it would make a difference? Crowley's attacks on Christianity are against the superstition, blind faith, and dogmatism that surrounded him as a child.

firecatpickles

"...superstition, blind faith, and dogmatism..." The Gnostic Gospels rail against these very issues- and this is why they were rejected as a part of the current Christian canon (the "authorized" Bible) -the canon Corwley himself fought against.
KK

Aeon418

It would probably have made no difference at all. Remember that Crowley was brought up in a fundamentalist Christian sect. The Gnostic Gospels would have had as much effect as they have on current day Christian fundamentalists, i.e. None at all.

ravenest

kilts_knave said:

KK

I feel it would have had little effect.
AC seems the type to respect any tradition thats worthwhile (see the end of Liber Librae) but abhors the false traditions that follow when the message of liberation is converted to a tool of oppression.

I liked his (?) quote about Jesus In R.A.W.'s 'Masks of the Illuminati' Crowley has just given a lecture and an audience member asks. "What about Jesus, you didnt say nothin about Jesus?"
AC " I hold the poor fellow totally innocent of the religion that was foistered upon him posthemously."