Tarot of Dreams – Eight of Swords

Noir

This is one of my favorite cards in the Minor Arcana – I find it to be both evocative and powerful. I think Bursten did a very good in the interpretation of this card, especially the idea of the bubble looking fragile and crystalline, but still holding the figure trapped. This echoes the situation of the Fool in the Devil card, though here the issues seems more rooted in illusion or being trapped within ego structures rather than being caged by pain, addiction, and fear.

Other commentators on the Tarot, such as Crowley, Arrien, Geer, and Haindl, bring the idea of obstruction and interference to the Eight of Swords. In the Haindl deck, this card is linked to Hexagram 21, which Richard Wilhelm calls “Biting Through.” He writes, “When an obstacle to union arises, energetic biting through brings success.” The hexagram speaks of successfully overcoming obstacles through balancing clarity and power with gentleness and respect. It is interesting to see that the woman in the card is well positioned to “bite through” her cage, if only she were able to find the strength or insight to do so.

Unlike the RWS symbology, the woman in this card is not blindfolded, but I feel that this card is still linked to the Two of Swords. My sense is that what may have started out as an exploration or a short-term defense mechanism like denial has become a more advanced pathology, as symbolized by the fact that the woman is now encased and the bubble or sphere is crystallizing on the bottom. If the whole sphere crystallizes, there may be no way to “pop” or “bite through” and the figure could be trapped forever, which is not uncommon. There is much more a sense of being trapped and restricted, as well as a sense that the figure cannot free herself and she is waiting for someone to rescue her. The more serious concern is that she is actually mesmerized by her reflection in the bubble, caught like those souls in Plato’s cave who cannot escape their fascination with the shadows on the cave wall. This card points to the root of many causes of political and religious strife throughout the world.

To me, Jupiter in Gemini speaks to being gifted but indecisive. There is an expanded ability to communicate and to take in large amounts of information. However, this can then create idiosyncratic mental structures which the person cannot escape.

Reversing the card may speak to taking steps toward liberation or the opportunity to do so. But it could also be a warning not to interfere in a particular situation. What do you think?

serenaserendipity

The Haindl deck and biting through--

Dear Noir,

I think it's interesting to compare the idea of "interference" from the more traditional decks, to Haindl's interpretation linking it to Hexagram 21-"Biting Through", which implies an obstruction which must be overcome...

I think some of these differences are inherent in the qualities of the two oracles-- I-Ching in my understanding, deals more directly with the PATH one is on, while Tarot describes a set of circumstances you are facing in life...

Haindl is one of my favorite decks. I find its spiritual connotations fascinating. I don't own the deck and can't afford to buy another for a long while, but I do like to use it when I ask for a free tarot reading on "facade.com"!!!

Bless you-
Serendipity

Sheri

When I see this card, I see someone perhaps in their own little world. Imprisoned, but not in an obvious way, perhaps even by their own doing. The nakedness implies a vulnerability, aloneness and hopelessness, much the same feeling as is usually attributed to the Devil card. I also think that the fact that this is in space, and the person facing out toward the expanse may suggest that the person feels they need this bubble of protection against the unknown in the outside world.

bershka

valeria said:
When I see this card, I see someone perhaps in their own little world. Imprisoned, but not in an obvious way, perhaps even by their own doing. The nakedness implies a vulnerability, aloneness and hopelessness, much the same feeling as is usually attributed to the Devil card. I also think that the fact that this is in space, and the person facing out toward the expanse may suggest that the person feels they need this bubble of protection against the unknown in the outside world.

I agree that the woman's nakedness implies a vulnerability. I find it interesting that it is a woman, not a man or a child. The woman represents subconscious, our inner fear which is shown by these swords pointing towards the bubble. For some reason, I felt that the woman is scared, so she is looking for a way out but she is stuck into this bubble, the limits of her mind or like you said she is imprisoned!

Since this small bubble plays a small part/represents the microcosm in the entire universe/galaxy, it only represents our mind and it is small compared to the bigness of the galaxy. She is using the energy of Strength (8) to confront her limitations & fears, looking outward in an attempt to get out of the bubble.