a course in miracles chapter six "the lessons of love"

HOLMES

Introduction

1 The relationship of anger to attack is obivious, but the relationship of anger to fear is not always so apparent. anger always involves projection of seperation, which must ultimately be accepted as one's own responsiblity, rather then being blamed on others. anger cannot occur unless you believe you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsibile for it. Given these three wholly irrational premises, the equally irrational conclusion that a brother is worthy of attack rather then love must follow. what can be expected from insane premies except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests. you cannot be attacked, attack has no justification, and you are responsbile for what you believe.

It seems strange the introduction to the lessons of love starts with an teaching of anger. yet how can we learn about love if we dont' first learn about the blockage of love. in ego filled relationships that many of us live in,, there is may be loved but there is a lot of fighting,,
the fighting stems from anger, we allow ourselves to be attacked and we allow ourselves to attack in return,, and we put up with it for we call that love.
anger is our responsiblity, not someone else,
to combat it,, we must first look at ourselves and realize,,
we were not attacked, our return attack is not justified, and we are responsible for everything we do.
a brother is never worthy of attack but alwasy of love.

it is hard to say these things when we are dodging an physical attack of a parent, of a spouse, or a brother, or a stranger.
that we are looking at a person who has raped, hurt, beat or physically killed our brother physical vechile.
yet that is why we are taking this course,, to overcome our mental barriers to unconditional love so we may realize our true connection to the creator.

2. you have been asked to take me as your model for learning since an extreme example is a particulary helpful learning device. everyone teaches, and teaching all the time. this is a responsiblity you inevitably assume the moment you accept any premise at all, and no one can organize his life without some thought system. once you have developed a thought system of any kind, you live by it and teach it. your capacity for allegiance to a thought system may be misplaced , but it is still a form of faith and can be redirected.

of course the "me" is not me holmes but the me of yeshua ben jospheph, issis sanada as he became known afterwards in india, and who is known to us as jesus christ. we are to take him as an extreme example of love,, so we can learn to share love in our lives.
we are not being asked to go to such extremes ourselves.
we are being asked to use this extreme example in order to learn a new thought system which we will teaches as we follow it.
to me follow it does not mean to follow blindly, but to examine it, test it, and doing so will learn it.
for our old thought system of attack, or run, does not work,, but it is still our whole basis for doing things.
but now we can strive to overcome these things.
by examining a new thought system.
the thought system of love