Sabian Symbols Study Group: Taurus Degree 7 - #37

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: TAURUS
Degree: 7
Number: 37

Symbol: THE WOMAN OF SAMARIA COMES TO DRAW WATER FROM JACOBS WELL.

Elven

The Karmic Symbol for Taurus 7 is:

TAURUS 6 ~ A BRIDGE BEING BUILT ACROSS A HIGH NARROW GORGE.

The Quest Symbol for Taurus 7 is:

TAURUS 8 ~ A SLEIGH WITHOUT SNOW.

The Opposite Symbol for Taurus 7 is:

SCORPIO 7 ~ DEEP-SEA DIVERS WITH SPECIAL MACHINERY.

The 3 symbol in Tension with Taurus 7 are:

LEO 7 ~ THE WONDERS OF THE CONSTELLATIONS OF THE STARS IN THE NIGHT SKY.

SCORPIO 7 ~ DEEP-SEA DIVERS WITH SPECIAL MACHINERY.

AQUARIUS 7 ~ A CHILD BORN OUT OF AN EGGSHELL.

Symbols of the 5 Pointed Star (72 degree apart) from Taurus 7 are:

CANCER 19 ~ A FRAGILE MISS, REPRESENTATIVE OF PROUD OLD BLOOD, IS WED IN A MARRIAGE CEREMONY BY A PRIEST TO AN EAGER YOUTH OF THE NEW ORDER.

LIBRA 1 ~ A BUTTERFLY PRESERVED AND MADE PERFECT WITH A DART THROUGH IT.

SAGITTARIUS 13 ~ A WIDOW'S PAST IS BROUGHT TO LIGHT.

AQUARIUS 25 ~ A BUTTERFLY WITH THE RIGHT WING MORE PERFECTLY FORMED.

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Solar fire Part of Body: Vocal cords
Dr Jones Key Word Awakening and discusses self-giving.

I feel this is a really well a service symbol, physical and emotional and spirit, the act of service with water being the extra elements (regardless of what you feel about Christ - as the woman of sumaria was watering Jesus).
What an amazing key word - awakening! It really follows the whole life path - new beginnings, forgiveness, re-inventing yourself and being of help to others. Jesus met the woman of Samaria by a well, she drew the ‘living water’ out of the well for Jesus to drink. Living water is emotion and spirit.

Element Soapstone
Discussion Soapstone is a metamorphic rock, soft, sometimes feels soapy it is used for inlaid designs, sculpture (Traditional Inuit carvings, and in India also) sometimes used for fireplace surrounds, cookware and as a marker in construction. This useful stone, beautifully practical has a hidden power and strenght in it, the connection through the body is warming. It is an understated, common stone that has the energy of the woman, of service, of love.

Simone

OK, those are quite specific references - and i have to admit I don't know the story of that woman, nor of the well.

It conjurs up, however, the image of a well in a desert - water in a desert is vital, without water there is no life anywhere.

This symbol tells us that there IS a well where water can be drawn from so the desert is not as barren as it seems.

Samaria of course makes me think of samaritans and the good samaritan (and that there is a story about one good samaritan makes me wonder if they were not all as charitable as the one the story is about?)

So she is drawing water from Jacob's well (I really have no reference about the well.... but it seems to be biblical as well)

and it makes me wonder of taking advantage without giving. Weird thoughts, considering the reputation of the samaritans today.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts / interpretations on this one!

MCsea

Right on Simone, what you have explored in this symbol is its purest essence,

I think 'we' and others can get caught up in the biblic reference - WHICH of course CAN mean something to some people - adds colour if you like,
but the essence is the water from the well - the gift of life...

I really dont want to make a 'religous' thing of this symbol.. if you know what I mean.. its not a bible study group - BUT since it has a biblic refence I have added here 'the story'...

FROM - http://www.keyway.ca/htm2002/20020812.htm

"And Jacob came safely to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, on his way from Paddan-aram; and he camped before the city. And from the sons of Hamor, Shechem's father, he bought for a hundred pieces of money the piece of land on which he had pitched his tent. There he erected an altar and called it El-Elohe-Israel." (Genesis 33:18-20 RSV)
Jacob's Well was made famous in Bible History as the place by the Samaritan city of Sychar, near ancient Shechem, where Jesus Christ stopped while on a journey from Judea in the south (where Jerusalem is located) to Galilee in the north (where Nazareth and Capernaum are located) and had His well-known encounter with a Samaritan woman.

"A spring of water welling up to eternal life"

"Now when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing [see Baptism] more disciples than John [see John The Baptist], although Jesus Himself did not baptize, but only His disciples, He left Judea and departed again to Galilee."
"He had to pass through Samaria. So he came to a city of Samaria, called Sychar, near the field that Jacob gave to his son Joseph [see Children of Jacob]. Jacob's well was there, and so Jesus, wearied as He was with His journey, sat down beside the well. It was about the sixth hour."

"There came a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink." For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food."

"The Samaritan woman said to Him, "How is it that You, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?" For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans."

"Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and Who it is that is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water."

"The woman said to him, "Sir, You have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep; where do you get that living water? Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, and his sons, and his cattle?"

"Jesus said to her, "Every one who drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst; the water that I shall give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

"The woman said to Him, "Sir, give me this water, that I may not thirst, nor come here to draw."

"Jesus said to her, "Go, call your husband, and come here."

"The woman answered Him, "I have no husband." Jesus said to her, "You are right in saying, 'I have no husband'; for you have had five husbands, and he whom you now have is not your husband; this you said truly."

"The woman said to Him, "Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain; and You say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."

"Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship Him. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

"The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming, He who is called Christ; when He comes, He will show us all things."

"Jesus said to her, "I Who speak to you am He." (John 4:1-26 RSV)

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 407

tink27

Thanks for the story Marina!

Hmm, I'm just thinking over this symbol and passing on my thoughts. Purple_scorp's picture shows the woman at the well with people gawking in the background? Will she be shunned by Jesus as they have shunned her?

Historically, the Samaritans were a religious group that had broken away from the Jewish Religion. The Samitarans were very as far as I know very pagan and the Jews looks at this group as heretics....so no wonder this woman was surprised that Jesus, a Jew, asked a drink from her.

I also can't help thinking that if Jesus was out and about most of the day, this is not usually a time a woman would draw water from a well. Most women would meet first thing in the morning, chat and go their merry way before the sun blazes too hot! This makes me think this woman was shunned from this group and looked down upon.

But this also makes me feel that immigrants when migrating to another country can be feared and disliked by others. Why? So there is a strong message here of feeling rejected and of judgement and prejudice in the hearts of people.

We can learn so much from people of other races....where I live, Canada is a land filled with a multitude of cultures. We enhance the beauty and the power in each other!

Everyone one of us no matter our religion or position have inherited a tremendous force that reflects the essence of perfection. We are all connected within a web of power that ripples and vibrates between us all. Apart we are all his reflection, together we are him.

Man, woman, objective, subjective, are mirrors to each other.....

We need to be one with the heavens and the earth, virgin in spirit (not body), fully focused in the moment and with total confidence.

tink :love:

tink27

I have been thinking of the Samaritan woman and her courtship with 6 men. 5 of whom were past lovers and the 6th who she was living with then. 6 is the number of balance Why all these relationships….what was she searching for? Did she suffer from low self esteem? Was she easily led by another? Or was she exaggerating or denying the reality of her situation?

There seems to be some conflict here between religion (higher) and sexuality (lower). And sex can either be straight….or it can be crooked. Nothing makes religious people more nervous than the talk of sex….especially if it isn’t ‘regulated’. When is it sacred and when is it profane? For most religious people they let the clergy decide on that one. During biblical times we have been told of the Harlot, or Goddess worship. And the word Goddess does have a warm, damp and fertile ring to it.

This woman was not a Christian……and the word religion does (to me) have a monotonous feel to it. She was possibly searching for something, taken over by an uncontrollable impulse stemming from her unconscious…..exposing an aspect of her nature, we all have at one time or another tried to keep under control. Could it also stem from a desire to unite and merge with something greater than ourselves?.....which was first initiated through the act of sex..

It could have been too that her life-force, her own creative energy was seeking a way to express itself outwardly as well as find a way to spiritually grow. But this alienated her from others and deep down she wanted to resolve this, but the well just kept getting deeper and deeper. When the student is ready, the teacher will come, is an old saying that I think fits nicely here. With another’s compassion and support she had the will and the courage to free her trapped energy.

tink :love: