Watergarden

Azarial

I have a pond out in my backyard. This year I am going to add an herb garden to it, as soon as I figure out what types of herbs I would like in it. Anyway, I was thinking of putting some big chunks of crystals in the garden, large enough to fill up your hand. What types of crystals could I add that would promote a sense of tranquility around my pond? Ones that wouldn't cost me a forune that is. I would like to use the area as a place to relax, unwind and maybe do a few tarot readings for myself. Also if you can reccommend any good herbs to add, that would be great too.

~Azarial~

Princess_Lucy

Hi Azariel

Rose quartz and amethyst are both available for cheap-ish prices, and promote healing and peace... they also come in chunks large enough for your purpose :D

Lucy

catlin

I think the calm and peaceful feeling of Flourite might also be good for a water garden.

diane drizzy

Azarial-Lucky you!
Right now I'm having good success with sodalite thanks to this board. I don't know how well they would hold up outdoors, but seeing that they are stones I guess that shouldn't be a problem.
Please show us what you've done when finished. It'll be a breath of fresh air for us "high-risers"!

September Pixie

there are lots of resources for Agate.. I would look for stones that appeal to you and then pick the stones with the higher hardness levels.. Quartz is nice and comes in a variety of colors.. but if your looking for bigger stones (cost friendly) and durability you might look into man-made stones like blue goldstone and blue obsidian.

Ankou

Personally, I find river stones to be the most meditative next to water. Simple grey and cool to the touch, they help me to remeber a simple balance. The best part of them is that you can find good river stones just about anywhere in any size, and they are free or can be bought cheaply.

Cheers

memries

I was surprised when I had a pond how many ordinary plants will do well set in water ! I don't remember all the names now but there are a lot. Maybe a search in the library would be good. That varegated Pothos grows in water so why not in the water in the pond. They grow so profusely and quickly.
Another good idea is to place those round clyindrical terra cotta tubes (tiles for old septic tanks or wine racks as it were)here and there and they give you the height you need to put a plant in. Put the plant in the top.

For "high risers" you can get a large plastic or whatever pot, put the pump on the bottom, place a terra cotta tube run the wire up through it and on top your fountain head. Turn it on and ...
Viola.. instant water garden. Place water plants in it. I made one quite successfully and it was pretty but the kids kept putting their hands in it and I was not sure of the electricity under those conditions so I scrapped it.
Next time I can do it I am going to buy one of those large chinese pots for gold fish and use that.

LadyMedusa

A strange place to look for them... but I purchased several large (brick size)pieces of rose quartz, obsidian, and other stones at a local pet shop. They carry them for decorating aquariums. If you find a place that prices by weight you can get some very nice pieces for a reasonable cost.

LadyMedusa

Azarial

Thank you for all the information, I will look into that. I haven't gotten started cleaning it out yet from last year, I am hoping to get started maybe this weekend. My fish are getting ansy to get back outside! I will take a picture and post it, once i'm all done.

~Azarial~

catti

wondering how the pond garden is progressing....been wanting to make a small bog with one of the two (!!!) iron bathtubs my husband brought to the yard....they have been in the yard for a year now so I think it gives me the right to repossess one.
not really sure where to begin ( aside from digging the hole ) , like you curious about plants that will do well. I want a pump to make a small shower effect in the center ( or off center as the case may be)
the tip about finding slabs of quartzes at a pet supply store most interesting...would have NEVER imagined it.
Meanwhile put in a tomato a pepper and oregano and romero...put them all in large pots because have had to many failures in the ground. In Georgia there is alot of red clay soil and combined with the lack of sun in my yard , the plants are unhappy.
Today I will be transplanting something called Rose of Sharon, have to look it up to find out what it is...but it is a donation and has very pretty leaves. Looks like hibiscus but is hardy.
~Catti