help me remember this book!

Elizabeth Genco

Hi, everyone --

There's a book out there, an older one, that I've flipped through before. It featured commentary on the cards (at least the Majors, I don't know about the Minors) from a number of different decks in a kind of side-by-side "comparison shopping" format. I can't remember all the decks in it, but it was definitely NOT new, so they tended towards more old skool stuff like the Crowley deck, the Waite deck, Marseilles, and some historical decks.

I'm 99% sure that the book is out of print now, and that I'd have to hunt it down on a used book site. I thought Paul Huson's "Mystical Origins of the Tarot" might be it (reprinted, repackaged, of course, as the original thing is older), as it has a similar comparison of several different Tarot personalities (Mathers, Golden Dawn, Waite).

Maybe they *are* the same book? Does anyone know if "Mystical Origins of the Tarot" came out under another name, or, if not, what older out of print book I might be thinking of?

It's driving me nuts!

Thanks!

lunakasha

Could it possibly be this one???

The Illustrated Guide to Tarot

I was just looking through it today at Barnes & Noble, and it sounds like the one you are describing (maybe). The book compares several different decks, including Thoth, Marseille and some of the more "recent" decks, yet it was published in 2000, so it does not mention the newest decks.

:) Luna

Elizabeth Genco

Nah -- it's too new! The book I'm thinking of is definitely from the 1970's, which I should have mentioned in my post.

Maybe it was in the form of a dictionary...?

*furrows brow*

Thanks, though!

lunakasha

Elizabeth Genco said:
Nah -- it's too new! The book I'm thinking of is definitely from the 1970's, which I should have mentioned in my post.

Maybe it was in the form of a dictionary...?

*furrows brow*

Thanks, though!

Ahhhh....well, sorry I was only about 30 years off, LOL!!!

Good luck finding it....I am sure someone here can help out.

:) Luna

mnemosyne7

Robert Wang's Qabalistic Tarot

Sentient

Could it be:

Dictionary of the Tarot
by Bill Butler
Schocken Books Inc. 1975?

Scion

I think Sentient has it with BUtler's book. It fits datewise and stylewise.

If you'r enot sure about the 70s dating, it might be Tarot Compendium by Jana Riley, which is another gathering of differing interps.

Elizabeth Genco

Ding ding ding!! It's the Butler book. I knew I'd remember it after I heard the title. I just ordered a used copy, because I'm a dork like dat.

By process of elimination, I ended up with a copy of the Huson book, too. I wonder how it compares to Bob Place's latest, which may be my favorite Tarot book ever in the history of anything (seriously!).

Thanks, all.