Question About Our Vehicle

Sophie-David

Except perhaps at the start of learning Tarot, my readings are usually very clear to me, and over the last month, startingly so. But this one is most puzzling. If I had drawn these cards as a reading for myself I would have been delighted. I had a great affinity with the Moon, which is my spirit card. And if any of the cards had been in different positions it would have been easy too. What I do feel from this spread is that there is something very significant to learn here, especially when I have drawn three Majors in four cards.

Today we learned that our 1989 Mazda MPV needs $3500 in parts and service for transmission repairs. Within the last two weeks we spent $3500 for differential replacement and miscellaneous other things. It has been a very reliable vehicle, with a minimum of maintenance required, and this is the first time that it has broken down on the road. The transmission and differential were both original to the vehicle. When we bought it, the vehicle itself was selected through faith and spiritual revelation.

The question: "Tell me about keeping the MPV and getting it repaired". I used the Hanson-Roberts.

The spread (laid horizontally): Earth, Water, Fire, Air
(For me this is roughly equivalent to Pentacles, Cups, Wands, Swords)

The result: The Moon, The World, Temperance Rx, Ten of Rods Rx

The Moon in the Earth position tells me about the physical and material value - and the prognosis - for the van. The Moon upright is normally a very beautiful and powerful card for me, and indeed I am affected much more my the month of the full moon than that of the zodiacal sun. This month we will have the full moon in Scorpio. In this position the Moon is perhaps the most puzzling card of the spread. One thing that do feel is that I need to sleep on the decision, and indeed a dream may reveal the answer. This would seem to be the key card that will answer my question.

The World in Water is also intruguing. This seems to indicate great balance and integration in our emotional response to this issue. But we don't seem to feel that way on the surface, there is a lot of confusion. My card of the week was the World Reversed - indicating in my context that my world has been turned upside down. As the card of the week, this is a very accurate summation of how I feel following the union with the Creative Beloved (documented in the Spirit Guide Draws thread).

In the Fire position, Temperance Reversed comments on inspiration, growth, creativity and transformation. Temperance Reversed has never been a bad card for me, in fact it is one of the few that I would normally take as its exact opposite, i.e. "Intemperance" meaning passion. This is the inner joy which arises from the fusion of the feminine and masculine through the activity of the upright Temperance.

Finally, we have the Ten of Rods Reversed in Air. Here we have the release of burdens and worry. At this point we see either choice as potentially worrisome. Buying a new vehicle would result in even more expense, and would not leave us immune to breakdowns either. Repairing the present vehicle might reduce worries if we feel that nothing further will go wrong, or increase them if we think that this is the beginning of the end.

Any input would be helpful! :)

Tarotphelia

I can only tell you what I would think if I got these cards , and believe me I know how it is to have your favorite vehicle in distress . My reading style is not so layered and multifacted as yours , so you will get a very basic approach here.

"The Moon, The World, Temperance Rx, Ten of Rods Rx"

The Moon says to me there is more wrong that is hidden at the moment, and Temperance rx reinforces that . The World says that it's been a great ride for you , but everything has it's time of completion. (sob !) Ten of Rods rx says it's time to let it go , because it's probably going to become more of a burden.

My advice: seek ye the not too used used vehicle as a replacement and maybe throw some cards about the best way to find it . Sometimes there are very good deals to be found with a little digging .

Hope this helps - best of luck !

MeeWah

Sophie-David said:
...The question: "Tell me about keeping the MPV and getting it repaired". I used the Hanson-Roberts.

Sophie-David: Know too well what 'tis like to have a reliable vehicle suddenly fall ill & require costly repair where none previously existed, so empathize with the situation. Characteristic of many vehicles with a history of reliability, once they begin breaking down there no end to the continuing problems.

In fact, many years ago in a similar situation, I did a reading to help hubby & I locate a used car in good condition. & we did, using the cards as guidance. A reading of this type may be the next to try.

Immediate impressions: Transmission repair or replacement amongst the more costly expenses. Once the transmission faileth, likely its condition already affected or damaged other parts before the failure detected or evident, so oft far more than transmission involved.

Hence, time to look for another vehicle because the attachment to current vehicle affecting perception/judgement. Belies the ultimate worth. In terms of resources, costing 'the earth' &/or 'the world'.

Earth as The Moon: Far more entailed than apparent.

After all 'said & done', to drain both emotionally & materially & still without a viable vehicle. (I see the phrase "A white elephant".)

Water as The World: The emotions influence the attachment & that understandable; however, the demands far exceeding the longer term use & life/longevity.

Fire as Temperance-R: The ideal to not quickly dismiss possilble life left in the vehicle yet also understandable in the interest of avoiding waste.

Equivalent, however, to being dollar-foolish & penny-wise. Spending dollars to save pennies not wholly appropriate.

Air as 10-Rods-R: This strikes as akin to 10-Swords-R. Pertains to the intellectual understanding or logic.

Despite that invested in the vehicle, the burden & its attendant frustrations elminated by figuratively stamping it paid & retiring it.

Sophie-David

Dark Inquisitor and MeeWah

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this for me. Before I had read either of your comments I had come to a resolution, and your analyses confirmed what I had concluded, which was helpful.

As the spread seemed to be indicating to me with the Moon in Earth, I did have a dream which presented the issues last night. Then in shower analysis this morning I processed the dream and came to a conclusion.

Basically the spread was almost "all about me", which is what I instinctually felt yesterday. The van itself was cosmically insignificant - the judgement in the intellectual or air side was all that was needed - "Get rid of this burden already!" If it was not a vehicle to which there was a lot of emotional and even spiritual attachment this would have been crystal clear.

In the dream last night there was an initial and quite pointed visual comment from the Empress about not doing my vocal practice last night. Following this, Lynn and I walk across a street filled with mud. A large backhoe with metal tracks moves across the mud and runs over the briefcase that I had left on the side of the road. The backhoe uses its claw to pickup a sports car, puts it on the roof of the backhoe, then ambles away. I go to where the briefcase has been run over, and it is muddy but undamaged. It simply got pressed down in the mud. The dream ends.

One doesn't normally move a vehicle with a backhoe - unless it is junk. The message here was clear, even though the MPV was transformed into a more archetypal car.

But the presence of mud all over the place is reflected in both the Moon in Earth and the World in Water. When you mix earth and water you get mud. Due to the recent union with the Creative Beloved, I am feeling quite literally swamped - overwhelmed with emotion and trying to adjust (reference Hanson-Roberts: Three of Cups Reversed). In this midst of this deluge - my world turned upside as in this week's World Reversed - the car issue is plopped down in the middle of the mud. Not a good time for clarity! But the dream reveals the truth quite succinctly, the car is hauled away and life carries on - "business as usual" (the undamaged briefcase). Temperance Reversed in Fire suggests that a new spiritual balance will be achieved in time.

Dark Inquisitor - I too have four planets (plus) in Aquarius. For me this means that once my Saggitarian idealism is convinced, Capricorn practicality takes over and Aquarian detachment allows separation to be easy.

MeeWah - "Despite that invested in the vehicle, the burden & its attendant frustrations elminated by figuratively stamping it paid & retiring it" - a priceless turn of phrase! :)

Deep - and Dark - Blessings - David

psychic sue

David - I tend to agree with what someone else has posted (can't remember who) - there is more damage/repair needed than meets the eye.

I too think it's time to cut your losses and look for a new vehicle (the world) - the car has served you well, but everything has its time.

Your capricorn ability to "cling on" to rocky surfaces (!) makes it hard to let go - but let go you must.

My advice would be not to spend a lot of money on repairs - look for a new car! This will release the worry you feel and the expenses!

It's like the old saying - don't throw good money after bad.

love and Blessings,

Sue x

MeeWah

Sophie-David: Appreciate the feedback, particularly the further insights with the dream, too, which enhance the throw.

Sophie-David said:
...Basically the spread was almost "all about me", which is what I instinctually felt yesterday. The van itself was cosmically insignificant - the judgement in the intellectual or air side was all that was needed - "Get rid of this burden already!" If it was not a vehicle to which there was a lot of emotional and even spiritual attachment this would have been crystal clear...

I tend to view the throw as related to more than one level--to allude & reflect not only the mundane situation (with vehicle) but to also pertain to other matters. In this instance as your observance shows, to relate to the self & the developmental. Actually, in my view, the physical/mundane can be as a statement regarding the general status quo & thus extend to application on the multiple levels of being. It requires mental clarity, however, to discern thusly & that was temporarily overlaid by the emotions (& connected to an inner process).

Sophie-David said:
...One doesn't normally move a vehicle with a backhoe - unless it is junk. The message here was clear, even though the MPV was transformed into a more archetypal car.

Agreed!

For example: if the vehicle was removed with a *tow-truck*, that tends to suggest the constructive; the repairable/salvagable because a tow-truck normally used for such a purpose. A backhoe, however, not only an extreme expression (over-kill), but of the clean-up/discard; the get-rid-of-it-already.

Sophie-David said:
...the car is hauled away and life carries on - "business as usual" (the undamaged briefcase)...

In a manner of speaking, its removal from your life stilll leaves the life relatively intact, as represented by the undamaged suitcase. Particularly like the apt phrase "business as usual"!

Sophie-David said:
...Temperance Reversed in Fire suggests that a new spiritual balance will be achieved in time.

Yes, see that understanding also. In all, quite a succinct throw with rich layers attesting to the depths of knowledge, understanding & discernment.

I am sure a replacement shalt be found relying on the usual wisdom, too. That being, though goeth without saying, doth not hurt to reiterate God/dess' blessings in this endeavour as with all endeavours!

& thanks for sharing a most intricate & intriguing exercise :)

Sophie-David

psychic sue said:
Your capricorn ability to "cling on" to rocky surfaces (!) makes it hard to let go - but let go you must.
This is a good point too, Sue. Capricorn has an innate connection to the material. There is a benefit in rootedness, but there can also be material attachment or obsession. On the other hand, in Capricorn's ascent there is also a natural tendency to leave stepping stones behind, and this can also be the most ruthless of signs. This is a inherent polarity between attachment and detachment is reflected in Capricorn as cardinal Earth - neither mutable nor fixed. The ascent must be tempered by insight and compassion.
MeeWah said:
I tend to view the throw as related to more than one level--to allude & reflect not only the mundane situation (with vehicle) but to also pertain to other matters. In this instance as your observance shows, to relate to the self & the developmental. Actually, in my view, the physical/mundane can be as a statement regarding the general status quo & thus extend to application on the multiple levels of being. It requires mental clarity, however, to discern thusly & that was temporarily overlaid by the emotions (& connected to an inner process).
Yes, I believe you are quite right in this. I was overstating the case when I said it was almost "all about me". The comments I received here were on a more practical level and no less valid than my interpretation of the cards. Because of the space I am currently in, I needed to approach the question in a different way, through a dream. The cards do speak on so many levels.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Tarotphelia

Sophie-David said:
Dark Inquisitor - I too have four planets (plus) in Aquarius.

Oh dear - my sympathies!

Sophie-David said:
For me this means that once my Saggitarian idealism is convinced, Capricorn practicality takes over and Aquarian detachment allows separation to be easy.

Ah, The Autopilot . A very valuable tool in certain circumstances !
Please let us know what happens if you get a different car . Hopefully it won't be too painful .

Sophie-David

Epilogue

Sophie-David said:
In the dream last night there was an initial and quite pointed visual comment from the Empress about not doing my vocal practice last night. Following this, Lynn and I walk across a street filled with mud. A large backhoe with metal tracks moves across the mud and runs over the briefcase that I had left on the side of the road. The backhoe uses its claw to pickup a sports car, puts it on the roof of the backhoe, then ambles away. I go to where the briefcase has been run over, and it is muddy but undamaged. It simply got pressed down in the mud. The dream ends.

One doesn't normally move a vehicle with a backhoe - unless it is junk. The message here was clear, even though the MPV was transformed into a more archetypal car.
Well I wondered if there might not be an additional significance to the MPV being transformed from a van into a sports car, and indeed there was.

Shortly after I last wrote, I again had to return to Vancouver to continue my acting assignment, and on the way to driving there in my employer's vehicle, I stopped at the Mazda dealer and repair shop where our MPV was parked, cleaned out our stuff and removed the license plates. While waiting for the next ferry I test drove a Mazda Protegé, a compact and fairly sporty car. With the possibility that we might be moving to an urban area if I won a promotion, we had thought that it would be a good idea to buy a car rather than a van or truck. But after taking the vehicle out on the highway on a windy day, and feeling completely ill at ease with its lightness and finicky handling - and also with the lack of a driver's right arm rest because I often drive with just my left hand (we drive on the right in Canada, so the driver sits on the left) - I decided that cars were no longer in my comfort zone!

So I came to realize that the dream was also suggesting that the idea of having a car was also something that needed to be scrapped.

In any event, the work assignment prevented me from coming home and taking leave for about three weeks, and Lynn and I eventually took the bus out from Ucluelet to Nanaimo this past Wednesday, staying in a motel, renting a car, and then going vehicle shopping. In the afternoon, we started at a Subaru dealer close to the motel, and then worked our way back through all the import dealers until we finished off at Suzuki at about 7 PM. This was the day for test drives to narrow down which models we were interested in. Lynn had already cased each dealer's lot on the Internet so we knew exactly what to look for.

By the end of the day we had narrowed down our choices to Subaru Forester, Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape, and Subaru Outback. I did body-mind-spirit-emotion readings on these three, and for the body (the actual physical qualities of the vehicle) the Forester had Strength(!), the Tribute had Judgement, and the Outback had Ten of Cups Reversed. The reading on the Forester aligned with its Consumer Reports best buy status for a small SUV, especially good in reliability and durability. The Tribute drove and sounded very much like our MPV, so Judgement conveyed the idea of our MPV rising from the ashes and it was the safe choice (Mind card was Fool Rx). The Ten of Cups Rx expressed the Outback as too much of a good thing, reflecting our thoughts that it was bigger and fancier than we needed (Mind card was King of Wands Rx - pride, showiness).

Our goal for the next day was to have the field narrowed to three choices that we would be prepared to make offers on. In this way we would be dealing on our terms, knowing that if the deal did not meet our expectations ($1500 off discounted sticker price, including our suitable-for-parts-only MPV), there was always another choice. And indeed we had three specific vehicles to take for a final test drive and ask about price, a 2003 Forester, a 2002 Forester and one Tribute, each at a different dealer. I drew cards for each. The Tribute offered to be a nightmare - Nine of Swords Rx, the 2002 Forester was a Five of Wands full of conflict but winning, and the 2003 Forester Seven of Pentacles spoke of wasting money.

We didn't get very far with the Tribute, it seemed like it had been through the wringer (the survivor of a lot of bad nights and days). The 2002 Forester seemed initially overpriced and the sales manager gave us a big story about how much he was losing because he had paid too much for it in the first place - as if we should pay for his mistakes! He would only come down $1000. He suggested we take it for another test drive, which we did, but when we came back found that we were waiting ten minutes without seeing him again. We left the keys with another salesman and said that if the manager wanted to come down the extra $500 he could call us on Lynn's cell. He never called.

Finally, the 2002 Forester proved to require some hard bargaining, but we did get slightly more than $1500 off the price, which was our target. The neat thing was that we did not need to playact or lie. Twice I said that we had nothing more to talk about and was about to leave - but knowing that we had backups I was fully intending on doing so. Without posturing we were actually playing the car buying game anyway. We ended up buying probably the best car we have ever had, at a very good price.

I was very impressed at how well the Tarot backed up our instincts in this process, giving us an edge of confidence that served us very well.

Elven

This seems to be resolved Sophie-David so possibly not relevant , but my impression was

SophieDavid said:

I got earth - Engine Block & Head - Cast iron - metal
Water - Cooling System
Fire - ignition - battery - coil.
Air - compression.

My inital thought was that you have a small corrosive pinhole 'developing' in the block (between at the head) which will eventually leak water into the cylinder causing a head gasket to go and a loss of compression in cylinder 4, and overheating.

Blessings
Elven x