Temperance means patience?

clarity

I'm getting this beautiful card quite a bit and its hard to interpret.

Does temperance in a reading also mean having patience, to wait and give something time? That with time brings answers or moderation? Isn't it also called the angel of time? The question was about when something would happen.

Also, for another question on how someone would describe anothers personality/ character and its temperance upright. Would this mean they see this person as an equal balance of all things. That nothing is in excess or out of proportion?

Thanks!

webmuse

My opinion, time is an ingredient about making things happen. Balancing time and energy = endurance and in the end fruition. So yes, it could be about being patient. I see temperance as balance but also as a scientist, someone willing to experiment, perhaps a bit of a perfectionist (sometimes you may need a little extreme, unbalanced, Devil energy to not be so perfect). A baker, chef, pharmacist, chemist, hell, even an aroma therapist. Anyone mixing proportions, seeking alchemy of ingredients, is a temprance sorta person.

FantasyWorld

I also see it more of balance and blending but patience would play a role in that. It could also be self-control......

Laurel

Patience is a virtue and so is Temperance and all the virtues have a synergistic and blending relationship. Temperance in a spread could mean the value in waiting, in not being excessively impatient. It might also mean that the problem has a less complicated solution or to settle for what we need rather than what we want. Temperance is almost a card of spiritual "tempering" and finding the balanced blend of extremes inside ourselves.

So that second question about seeing someone as an equal balance of things is right on track.

firecatpickles

...Temperance aka moderation; in music, tempo moderato, or take at a reasonable pace. I would say patience is an excellent synonym.

K:spade:K

thinbuddha

It falls between Death and the Devil.

Between Death (of ego) and Devil (reveling in one's ego, to some degree)

I read Temperance to be the ideal mixture of these two cards- Too much death (too little attention to your own needs/desires) or too much Devil (too much attention to your own needs/desires) is a bad thing. Too little of either is also bad- temperance is the happy medium.

Think of what it means to temper steel- to add the right amounts of heat and cold- to create a stronger metal. Too much or too little of the heat and cold makes for weak, britle results.

Ladybro

To be patient means ( I Think) to be quiet, waiting for the right moment to act to, and Temperance, instead, is working on something. Blending, merging or doing something like that

firecatpickles

In the Minchiate tarot Temperance follows the Lovers. Patience or Temperance is an inherent part in making the marriage of the Fool to the (?) successful. The other virtues are also indispensible to a successful relationship. Furthermore, Temperance is one of the four pagan virtues which is in sequence; VI. Temperance, VII. Strength, VIII. Justice. [The fourth pagan virtue, Prudence, is inexplicable included with the holy virtues at the end of the Briscole, trump sequence, possibly because wisdom comes necessarily toward the end of the Fool's life and not right after marriage.]

I do not limit my interpretations for the Temperance card as merely balancing or merging two forces with no consequence, that's for the Chariot, or the Hanged Man, or to some extent XI. Time (aka The Hermit). Temperance is a mixture of two elements that produce a third, more powerful, more effective force.

To use one of Thirteen's examples, hydrogen and oxygen create water. Or, Imagination and Skill, Art. Practice and Determination, Success. Time and Energy, Patience. Etc.

K:spade:K

FantasyWorld

thinbuddha said:
Too little of either is also bad- temperance is the happy medium.

I like that! That fits into the puzzle,LOL;) Since I seem to often have a hard time with a "happy medium", I've often had trouble finding the meaning of this card but that makes sense.

Thanks Thinbuddha:angel:

Lady Orchard

I agree with the interp of patience and knowing when to act/speak. but there's not inactivity on your part....somebody made the analogy recently of something cooking, don't take it out of the oven until it's ready. I like that.
take action, make a decision, mix those ingredients, and then be patient for all to come together.