Llewellyn or Weiser Thoth? Which is more common?

gregory

I recently won a White box C in e-bay - I bought it just to get the red and black UCH card. I didn't look at it properly till today - except for that. (Yes, OK I am bad and evil, and it is missing the Tower which is sad, and serves me right but there you go.)

I also have another greeny, which came unboxed.

There must have been two "greeny" printings. The one I got in the white box is horribly faded throughout - to the extent that it cannot have been just left out in the sun - especially as the only unfaded card is the UCH - and the backs are faded too. In comparison with the other greenie - well, there is no comparison. The first one I had is very green - but the colours are vivid.

Never saw one with the upside down Ace though - can someone post a scan ?

Lillie

I'd told my self I wasn't going to post in this thread, but here I am!

No tower! shame!
Just put the hex with the other, complete deck.
Or is the difference in the backs too extreem?

The C edition. Yeah, I don't know how many print runs there were, but there were two copyrighted versions. 78 and 83 (I think)
One difference is that the Hex card is the other way up in the second one. you can tell by looking at the five petaled flower.

Another difference between some ond others is that on the early ones there are a couple of anomalies with the hebrw letter/ astrological sign.
On about 3 cards they are the other way round to the majority. But by the time mine was printed (it is copyrighted 83, but sold around 2000) this had been 'corrected', so that they all matched.
Wether this was the change in 83 which cause the new copyright or wether that was something eles, I don't know.

I have always heard that some were greener than others, some more faded than others. But without getting a stack I can only take peoples word for this.
I would like to see the differences in person, but I don't have the cash to buy a dozen of these!

I also have a suspicion about the borders, but have no evidence about this apart from my memory.

Then there are the ones with the multi lingual titles...

This is the first I have heard about the upside down ace. I'll have to dig out my weiser to have a look, see if it's like it on that one!
Well spotted!

For anyones info. The weiser is almost always the one that turns up in the UK.
You hardly ever see the llewellyns on ebay here.
Weisers are rare enough, but the others even more so.

Dean

Gregory
The Up-side down Ace is on the US Llewellyn edition, i did some scans of it and some other cards in my Llewellyn US deck, as other people have noted these are probably the worst faded prints in this deck. There are a few more faded cards but i shall scan them later.

Attachments

• Scan10026.JPG
    Scan10026.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Llewellyn 4 swords.jpg
    Llewellyn 4 swords.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Llewellyn 6 Disks.jpg
    Llewellyn 6 Disks.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 126

gregory

Now that IS weird. Your upside down ace has the plain borders - which until this minute I thought were only in the earliest - the White Box A I have - the one printed in USA and which ONLY has Weiser on the box. I've neevr seen another one with plain borders.

In my "A" deck the Ace is the right way up (and the colours are not bad at all.). The faded ones - I think it varies from deck to deck which cards are affected - I think it was down to which vat was low on ink at any one time :D

Lillie - that's exactly what I have done with my UCH, don't worry !

Lillie

All the really old ones, Weiser or Llewellyn have the plain borders.
They are the ones that come in the two part boxes.

Apparently there are small differences between them.
Tiny size difference. Lamination, the missing 8.
I'll have to check my ace to see if thats the same on the Weiser.

The biggest difference is the writing on the boxes. It either says llewellyn or Weiser. Usa or Hong kong.
And I believe the hong kong ones have gold writing on the front.
Other than that...
Much the same really.

Dean

My scans are of the early Llewellyn US edition.

Lillie, in your two part box Weiser edition does yours have the same up-side done Ace like mine, i was told by some people who have the Llewellyn Hong kong edition that their Ace is printed like that, but a few other people have said that their Hong Kong edition didn't have these mistakes added, it makes you wonder if there was first and second printings done with these early edition, my US Llewellyn edition has a nice card stock, but others have said that their Llewellyn HK edition was a poor quality.

Lillie

It's at the bottom of a big box. I'll try to get it out tomorrow.

There also seems some discrepancy with the missing 8.
Possible some of one type was put into the others box. Left over stock, that sort of thing.

It's just something I remember from posts here about it, not something I'm sure of.

gregory

Ah so..... That makes sense. Thanks Lillie - you are the Thoth Biz !

Abrac

Lillie said:
I'd told my self I wasn't going to post in this thread, but here I am!
That's cool Lillie. We might start thinking you don't like us if you didn't chime in. ;)

Abrac

coredil

Bloody Hanged Man

From my Llewellyn, USA deck:
A bloody Hanged Man!

Attachments

• ThothHangedMann.jpg
    ThothHangedMann.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 133