Daily rune

Sophie

OK, I'm taking the plunge. I am going to cast one rune a day, asking simply - what I need to know. Anyone who cares to join me or comment on my daily rune is welcome :)

Today: Wunjo. Joy.

The rune looks like these little flags they put on golf courses or ski runs. Skiing, of course, reminds me of happy times had with loved ones :). But it also looks like an arrow on a path indicator, because the "flag" part is triangular. So I feel it is telling me - this way - that's where you need to go. That's the path.

And where do I need to go?

A joyful shift during a generally bleak period, which will in turn influence the bleakness for the better - a herald of happier days coming. Optimism and the buoyancy it is giving me. I have been feeling much more the thing for the past couple of days, thanks to a good fairy on this forum.

Thorsson says this rune indicates an ability to cope with pain, as well as social or domestic harmony. I have decided to stay in tonight, but have organised a very pleasant programme for myself :). Thorsson also advises "strive to bring together the disparate elements of yourself", which is something I've been working on. I am many, but I am one, and I accept it joyfully. This rune is reminding me of that important inner work I am doing.

Oh - I think it's also referring to the arrival, tomorrow, of my little sister and my beloved Juliette and Alex, my niece and nephew! They will be here for two weeks before they travel to Australia for six weeks.

Milfoil

Ah thats it, I'm going to have to make myself a set now . . .

See what you've done! ;)

Sophie

Good news, Milfoil :)

I've just seen hundreds of little Wunjos walk past me: the children are celebrating the end of school, and it was their parade on their way to the promotion party. Many of them were holding little flags shaped like the rune wunjo...

They stopped the traffic, there was a brass band, and everyone out in the street stopped and smiled, and waved.

Magic, you know?

Sophie

Today I drew Sowilu, the Sun.

The Sun is feminine in Norse languages (and in German). A feminine sun brings to mind a fertile clarity, a happiness that spreads its bounty around like a sunny woman.

The rune looks like a snake, forming a kind of sharp S. Snakes are everywhere a symbol of vitality and health, an ancient symbol of the Goddess.

Today, everyone smiled at me, and I felt filled with the sun. I went to the hairdresser's and feel beautiful. And people looked at me in that way, too. I love the sun and the heat, I feel vibrant and alive when the temperature rises.

I am beginning to see things more clearly, and more optimistically. As a follow-up to Wunjo, I could not ask for better.

There are shadows, still, but you can't have the sun without shadows, can you?

Thorsson writes that Sowilu burns away all external appearances (the rune Isa), leaving only the essential truth. I am beginning to see or feel that essential truth in certain matters.

Luck comes with Sowilu, too - but isn't that self-fulfilling? Because happy people attract more happiness and luck.

Milfoil

Well, since I don't yet have a set of my own and it may be a month or so before I have, I decided to do a daily draw via an online site.

Guess which I got first?

Wunjo is the rune of joy.

Interesting wouldn't you say?

I have a lot to learn about runes so forgive me for not commenting to closely on it yet.

Umbrae

your shadow should worry you - if it becomes disconnected from your feet...LOL.

"The rune looks like a snake, forming a kind of sharp S. Snakes are everywhere a symbol of vitality and health, an ancient symbol of the Goddess. Thorsson writes that Sowilu burns away all external appearances (the rune Isa), leaving only the essential truth. I am beginning to see or feel that essential truth in certain matters" said Helvetica.

"As the ice of illusion melts under the sun, truth is left - revealed...snakes shed their skin when they out-grow them." said Umbrae.

Sophie

Umbrae said:
"As the ice of illusion melts under the sun, truth is left - revealed...snakes shed their skin when they out-grow them." said Umbrae.
I've been through a major skin change in the past few days. It feels good :)

Sophie

Umbrae said:
your shadow should worry you - if it becomes disconnected from your feet...LOL..
Oh, that reminds me of the passage in Peter Pan, when Peter Pan's shadow become detached, and Wendy sews it back on. It's at the beginning of the book - that's how they meet.

For the moment, mine is firmly sewn on ;)

Sophie

Redux

It's Wunjo again! I mistyped first time and wrote Wunjoy ;). I drew it this morning, and smiled to see it again.

I am listening to Ismael Lo on the computer - Tajebone, surely one of the most beautiful, moving songs ever written. This is not a gleeful joy, more a gentle, smiling, serene joy. I feel full of life and sunshine, and faith and trust.

Wunjo, I think, is also telling me to trust it. To trust this joy, it is pointing the right way.

In a few hours, I'll be seeing Sarah, my little sister, and my niece and nephew; and my parents. They are here in spirit already, as is all the love surrounding me.

The shadows are receding further. What is left of them are mine and protective - the shadow that drapes me when I need it, not to keep out life, but to let it grow. A flower needs shade some of the time.

Thorsson writes: "keep ideals in mind, strive for them." I am :)

Umbrae

Helvetica said:
Thorsson writes: "keep ideals in mind, strive for them." I am :)

Umbrae Draco, Mouthpiece of Ooolatek the Seditious One Who Tells Only Lies, stands on the steps of the temple and says, “You must picture and use joy as an actual THING. Learn to maintain joy and enthusiasm when surrounded by despair. Although seen as a rune of fellowship and bonding with kin, it is a shield – an armor…it is the knowledge of self-worth, and an affirmation of purpose.” With that, the false priest turns around and vanishes into the darkness of the doorway – a chuckle was heard by those close enough to hear…