tarot of the secret forest- death

greenbeans

I think I am alone in studying this deck right now! But I am enjoying it!
Anyway, I was looking at the death card and realised it is based on the death's head moth, like in Silence of the Lambs:

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=2524

I have to admit I don't like moths- something about the way they flutter at lights and have dusty looking wings and furry bodies! Yuck! Yet I love butterflies, which most of the faeries' wings resemble...well, this moth seems the scariest looking of all scary moths, with its resemblance to a skull...

The A. styx has two subspecies, A. styx styx and A. styx medusa. The species names atropos, styx and lachesis are all death-related. The first refers to the member of the Moirae who cuts the threads of life of all beings in Greek mythology; the second to the river of the dead, also in Greek mythology; and the last refers to the Moira who allots the correct amount of life to a being. Additionally, Medusa was a gorgon, a creature in Greek mythology capable of turning its victims into stone with a single gaze.
(Taken from Wikipedia)

Now I am feeling a little sorry for the moth- we humans have attached our own symbolism to its natural markings. All those classical allusions...even the scientists who name the moth agree the link with death is inescapable...

On the coloured side I notice how slender the death faery is...rather delicate looking really, turning away to look at the glowing yellow background. Why do those delicate dusty moths bash themselves aginst lightbulbs anyway? Their need for light, for the dawn, for morning...I am reminded of the Wheel card, where we see a chrysalis and a caterpillar...this faery has its own place in clearing the forest when it becomes overcrowded, ready for a new caterpillar and a new start of the cycle...the death faery makes ready for dawn...

On the b/w side the faery looks even more skeletal, with ribs poking out...the scene is bleaker as you might expect...but rays of light still seem to glow in the background...

Hemera

I just got this deck from an exchange here in AT. It arrived yesterday. I knew I´d like the deck as I love the artwork. But when the deck arrived yesterday it started to talk to me in quite unexpected ways.. The deck seems to be a lot more than just a bunch of pretty pictures of butterflies! I think the deck is very unique and magical with a lot of depth in the pictures. It encourages me to read it intuitively, which is a side I have been wanting to develop in my readings.
I believe I´m about to fall in love with the deck and so I´d like to join you in studying it here!

As to the Death.. I may return to this later when I´ve had more time to study this deck.

However, I think this is an extremely beautiful card. You wrote:

quote:"Now I am feeling a little sorry for the moth- we humans have attached our own symbolism to its natural markings. All those classical allusions...even the scientists who name the moth agree the link with death is inescapable..."

It is actually very scientific to see Death everywhere! I think it is a good thing to think of Death a lot. All Biological life is constantly moving from Birth via Growth & Transformation to Death, and then back to Birth again. Somehow this little moth reminds me of these biological facts in us all. That those inescapable cycles are not "good" or "bad". They just are. As if the little moth would know this and contemplate on this very fact?

greenbeans

hemera said:
It is actually very scientific to see Death everywhere! I think it is a good thing to think of Death a lot. All Biological life is constantly moving from Birth via Growth & Transformation to Death, and then back to Birth again. Somehow this little moth reminds me of these biological facts in us all. That those inescapable cycles are not "good" or "bad". They just are. As if the little moth would know this and contemplate on this very fact?

Well said hemera! I never thought of it quite that way! I am glad there is someone else studying this deck now, I think I too am dangerously close to falling in love with it!

Hemera

Hello greenbeans ;) (and all others who want to join in) *waving*
What card shall we do next? Any suggestions?

Skimo

Hi,

I am just going through all the post of the secret forest study group and i wanted to add my two cents.

The death moth is flying above a thorny dead plant. He shows us his "skulled" back while looking far away.

There is an horizontal line forming an horizon, with a central lighter patch of color.

I can nearly see in it the upper half of a face rising above the horizon with a reddish left eye, a greenish right one and green hairs.

It's like the death fairy is looking to his goal, something new and different from what he already knows : a rising sunny face symbolizing rebirth?

On the b/w side, the background has less details, just greys uneven vertical stripes.
It could represent rain (vs sun), the death fairy looking in it without focusing.
I find it easier to see that he is flying above the plant, but a part of the plant seems to hook his right feet, preventing if from moving or changing?

I hope i didn't go too far?

memries

Just opening my bag with The Secret Forest in it. Peace-pixie sent it to me from Australia with a lovely aborginal bag and cloth a while ago. It has been in my drawer but I do love forests and trees so out it comes. I wonder what will happen next ?

Going to find the Death card.

memries

Oh my gosh ! It only has numbers and I do not know them by memory. A bit of work to do there. I knew I would have to do that anyway as I go along.

X111 Death is a bit eerie for sure on first acquaintance. I love Moths and have rescued many over the years. I know they have very interesting markings and they are so velvet and their bodies are so present not like butterflies.

This is going to take a bit of work for sure.

Have looked at all the cards, maybe it will grow on me.. back in the bag for now.. sorry guys. Will follow along with the thread though.