Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

finaflight 
Citizen

Question pips

could someone tell me. What r pips

thank you
finaflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Bad_Calvin 
Citizen

I am not sure of the answer but I think it is the minor arcana cards, with just a number and symbol. Like a deck of playing cards would be pip cards.

Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Lain_82 
Citizen

You've just made me realize that I don't know what pips are either!!!!!

J.L. Borges.
Lain_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Bad_Calvin 
Citizen

It would be nice to get an explanation of it, but like I said. I think it is like a card with a symbol or mark on it.
for example playing cards just have pip's on it, no artwork, just a number pip, or a symbol pip.

tarot cards with pips would be cards that have a 3() 3 of pentacles. substitute the word pip for (mark, or spot, or symboled)...

I will wait for confirmation, but that is what it appears to be by the way it is being used.

Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Moonbow 
Citizen

Pips are the numbered cards Ace to Ten in the Minors. Although most people now relate pips to being in non-scenic decks such as the Marseilles.
Moonbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
goddesscarlie 
Citizen

here is the wikipedia entry for pips:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pips

It does say that pips can have a 'representative image', so I guess illustrated scenes could be included. Of course, wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so you can't take what it says as gospel, but it is usually pretty acurate. But, often when I see people talking about 'pips' they are talking about non illustrated cards from 1-10, like a normal pack of playing cards.
goddesscarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Fire Cat 
Volunteer Fire Fighter and Professional Monkey

Here are three pips from my favorite deck, the Constantini Minchiate 1980 from Solleone Publishers.

In example one, there is "representative art." In example two, there is very little representative art. And example three is sans representative art.

KK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 di Spade.JPG (33.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 4 di Denari.JPG (29.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 10 di Coppe.JPG (31.1 KB, 28 views)
Fire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
goddesscarlie 
Citizen

aha! Thanks kilts_knave
goddesscarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
kwaw 
Citizen

Etymology of 'Pip'

Well we might think it is related to a pip as in the pips of a fruit, pip being a shortened form of pippin. However, as relating to the emblems or spots on playing cards, dice, dominos or numbers of moves in backgammon the etymological dictionary relates it to the old English pepen, possibly an alternative form of piken, from which the English words peep and peek are derived. The same derivation relates to its military use in the British Army as in the stars on a uniform to indicate rank, and as a term in botany to indicate a single blossom in a cluster. To peep is among other things a transitive verb meaning to cause to emerge or become visible, a first glimpse or appearance, eg, the peep of dawn, the moon peeped through the clouds.

How does this relate to cards? Well it is probably rooted in the idea of something hidden becoming revealed, as in the first turn of the cards, or the showing of one's hand.

A very appropriate term also perhaps, in a sense meaning revelation, for something used for divination. Of the fortune teller who uses them to take a peep [transitory glimpse] into one's future.

Kwaw

Last edited by kwaw; 15-07-2006 at 21:14.
kwaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Lee 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilts_knave
Here are three pips from my favorite deck, the Constantini Minchiate 1980 from Solleone Publishers.
Nice deck!

-- Lee
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today