Crystal Singing Bowls

Briar Rose

Does anyone use a crystal singing bowl? The meta shop here has crystal, brass, and glass.

The clear glass one is $400.00 and holds the tone for a very long time. It has a stem on it, so you can hold it over a person to do healing that way. They called it clear quartz glass. Since glass is made up of sand, and sand is quartz maybe that's why they called it that.

I just ordered (on line) a Japanese brass singing bowl. I can't wait to get it!

I've been told the Japanese has better tone than the Tibetian.

Anyone know anything about singing bowls?
Thank you,
Aurora

tarotbear

I have a crystal singing bowl large enough to mix cake batter in! It was a gift many years ago. It has a two-headed mallet ~ you strike the rim with the yarn end first to achieve the tone, then draw the rubber(?) end around the outside edge to bring the tone out. It sits on a rubber ring. If you pour a gallon of water into it, you can watch the sound waves ripple the surface of the water in lovely patterns.

Bat Chicken

Wow - that sounds amazing.... I suspect it is exceptional for meditation. I have never tried a singing bowl of any kind....

Briar Rose

Wow, now that's a singing bowl! Lucky you. Please do share your experiences when using it. The feeling I got when I was in the store, from the big glass one, was that the center of my eyes cleared (the 6th chakra).

ravenest

HeavensVault said:
Does anyone use a crystal singing bowl? The meta shop here has crystal, brass, and glass.

The clear glass one is $400.00 and holds the tone for a very long time. It has a stem on it, so you can hold it over a person to do healing that way. They called it clear quartz glass. Since glass is made up of sand, and sand is quartz maybe that's why they called it that.

Wow! Never seen one, unless its just like a big glass chalice. But still the tone and vibration must be amazing. I once saw a musical instument made of glass or crystal wheels of varied diameter fixed to a shaft,they rotated and the bottom ran through a water trough while the top (edge) of the glass wheels were played by a light dancing touch of the fingers - an amazing sound.
HeavensVault said:
I just ordered (on line) a Japanese brass singing bowl. I can't wait to get it!

I've been told the Japanese has better tone than the Tibetian.

Anyone know anything about singing bowls?
Thank you,
Aurora

IN my esperience the Japanese bowls are far inferior to the Tibetan, unless we are comparing to a cheap Tibetan copy, then a good brass one may sound better. Did the person who told you it was better try to sell it to you?

A good bowl will not only make patterns on the surface of water in it when vibrating but actually create a 'standing fountain' of geometric shape and multiple levels.

A real good tibetan bowl will be made out of Electrum Magicum ie. a blend of the planetary metals and cast at the appropriate conjuctions; firstly a good Sun Moon conjuction is looked for, on that date the gold and silver are mixed together, then the process continues with Saturn- lead, tin- Jupiter , iron - mars, copper, venus (not sure what the Tibetans use for mercury) but all metals should be mixed according to appropriate astrological events and ritual.
The same with the Tingshaws (little hand symbols) if they have 7 symbols they are 7 metal blend and for planetary work, if 5 symbols, 5 metal blend, elemental work

Nowdays you are just as likley to get one made out of old melted down truck parts.

Briar Rose

Truck parts? Oh no...don't say that!

Thank you so much for your information. Can you write more? Where did you learn this? Do you have any books, or web sites on singing bowls?

The woman that owns Crystal Essence, a meta shop told me about the differences in bowls. It was on the phone, and she didn't try to sell me, just told be that she liked the Japanese ones better.

Now, am I suppose to fill them with water? It comes with a cushion and a mallet.

I have seen in a magazine the one with handles. I didn't find that style on line anywhere.

I am new to them. And I have sooooooooo many questions.

Thank you for your knowledge. I appreciate your time. If you have more to share I am 100% wholeheartly into learning.

skygreen

I have a tibeten metal singing bowl and a larger Japanese bowl which also sings though it was originally used as a prayer bell and rung rather than stroked.
I enjoy the tibeten bowl the most and it does a good job of clearing energy and leading into meditation etc. I have seen heard and even tried out the quartz bowls but have not had a chance to really work with one extensively.
I think which kind is better is probably more dependant on personal preferanc and vibratory need .

thinbuddha

I have several singing bowls- none are from Japan with the possibility of one that has some very detailed metal work that I've never seen on another bowl. I've played around with some of the crystal bowls in stores before, but I have to say that I prefer the metal bowls hands down.

The crystal bowls are nice, but my favorite metal bowls can play several sounds simultaniously while the crystal bowls I've played with have a single clear sound. The single sound may be what you are looking for, but for my money, the harmonics of 2 or more voices wins out every time. Note- not all metal bowls can be made to sing in multiple voices, and it takes practice to make any of them sing in multiple voices.

My favorite bowl of all sings in a clear high tone while simultaniously singing in a almost subharmonic low tone. Either tone can be played by itself- the real trick is to get them both going and to keep them going for a while (after a time, one tends to take over and drown out the other)

-tb

tarotbear

No, you don't 'have' to fill them with water ~ it's only to see the ripple effect. The interesting thing is that even with water in them, their tone is NOT lowered. There is a musical term for what they (the bowls) are ... I'll have to ask Jed.

Briar Rose

How do you make the singing bowl have 2 tones? Please tell me the technique.

And I want to know the musical term for them.

I bought the CD, Chakra Suite by Stephen Halprin (different tones ot align chakras.

And I am wondering if anyone has tried a CD on Singing Bowls?

I would love more feed back on singing bowls. I've heard not much is written about them.