Maybe incense is the answer

Red Emma

I'm beginning to wonder if incense would solve my problem thanks to Heckta, Catlin and others from the 'making your own incense' thread.

I sometimes get such extreme tension headaches that I, well, upchuck. For a long time the burning of lavender candles just sent the tension on its way. Then the candle makers -- all of them as far as I can discover -- began leaving lavender out of their blends. I guess the candles could be called lavender because that's what color they were. So I'm back to massive doses of Tylenol, aspirin, etc. Which I really, really don't want to do.

Now I have two questions: 1) Is there, out there somewhere, a maker of REAL lavender candles? 2) Is there a maker of incenses who has lavender in her inventory?

All suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Wonderwoman

Red Emma said:
I'm beginning to wonder if incense would solve my problem thanks to Heckta, Catlin and others from the 'making your own incense' thread.

I sometimes get such extreme tension headaches that I, well, upchuck. For a long time the burning of lavender candles just sent the tension on its way. Then the candle makers -- all of them as far as I can discover -- began leaving lavender out of their blends. I guess the candles could be called lavender because that's what color they were. So I'm back to massive doses of Tylenol, aspirin, etc. Which I really, really don't want to do.

Now I have two questions: 1) Is there, out there somewhere, a maker of REAL lavender candles? 2) Is there a maker of incenses who has lavender in her inventory?

RedEmma, have you ever tried buying pure patchouli oil? I purchased a small bottle (about $20) and it has worked wonders for me. Just a whif, dab (sp?) and i am calmed.(make sure its a very little dab as it is very potent) patchouli incense might do the trick as well :) :)

Sophie

You can also dab lavender oil directly on the skin - it's safe. And a few drops on the pillow works wonders.

Patchouli I love too - never tried it for headache, but it's calming and energising at the same time, so it makes sense.

Milfoil

Or you could buy one of those candle kits, some lavender oil and make your own.

BodhiSeed

Or you could try an aromatherapy oil burner that you put water and a few drops of essential oil in (a tealight heats the water and oil):
http://www.innergifts.com/pages/essential-oils/aromatherapy-lamp-zen.htm

They work really well and are nice for folks who are bothered by the smoke of incense.

Many blessings (from a fellow migraine sufferer),
Bodhran

Edited to add: I believe the website above sells a "Serenity" candle that has lavender oil in it.

Heckta

Red Emma said:

Your welcome Red Emma, hope it helps.

In addition I suggest for headaches Eucalyptus oil, you'll find it at any herbal store. One place I know sells oils to wear and oils to burn is call Aphrodisia. Here is the website http://www.aphrodisiaherbshoppe.com/catalog.html

Generally when I have headaches I use products the have Eucalyptus oil and my headaches leave fast. One product I use is from Origins called Sensory Therapy "Peace of Mind" you place a little on the temples and the back of your neck; headaches, tension are relieved. The ingredients are a combination of Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Rose, Rosemary extract and sweet almond oil. Mostly all natural.

Here another thing that might help Chamomile tea great for headaches, insomnia, nervousness; it's a calming tea. I generally make it from dried chamomile and place it in a tea strainer- which makes a stronger brew. Add a little honey and enjoy. Wishing you well.

sharpchick

Another thought - make your own lavendar soap (recipe below from Scott Cunningham).

Take a bar of plain old castile soap (chopped into 1/4 inch pieces) to which you add 3/4 cup of almost boiling water till the soap softens and dissolves and then add your own lavendar oil, as much or as little as you personally prefer. Let the soap start to come together again and then divide into three or four parts to make loose soap balls, and hang in cheesecloth till dry and ready to use.

Sounds labor intensive I know, but it is wonderful and the soap is infused with your energy.

Or make yourself a lavendar sachet with the dried flowers and a few drops of essential oil and put it on your pillow.

Wonderwoman

Interesting..I'm in love with the smell of Patchouli. I think i'll try this out!

sharpchick said:
Another thought - make your own lavendar soap (recipe below from Scott Cunningham).

Take a bar of plain old castile soap (chopped into 1/4 inch pieces) to which you add 3/4 cup of almost boiling water till the soap softens and dissolves and then add your own lavendar oil, as much or as little as you personally prefer. Let the soap start to come together again and then divide into three or four parts to make loose soap balls, and hang in cheesecloth till dry and ready to use.

Sounds labor intensive I know, but it is wonderful and the soap is infused with your energy.

Or make yourself a lavendar sachet with the dried flowers and a few drops of essential oil and put it on your pillow.

memries

Buy the Lavender oil from France that is pure. Some of the essence oils have 400 chemicals in them. You have to watch out to check the contents.
It only needs a drop of the real stuff and I know it is expensive but not really. You can put pure water, a couple of drops and lavender and spray your room anytime. I use it now all the time.
My friend is into that and when you check out some of the make ups and perfumes, etc. they are full of chemicals.
I cannot tolerate going into a shop full of scented candles at all and so many do have that ! They are getting a bit better here for that. Talk about smokers, the smells would make anyone sick and I don't know how the girls work there at all.

wizzle

Not quite incense or candles, but Trader Joe's has lavendar packets that are meant to be thrown in the dryer. They work great that way but also work well just tucked into drawers. I keep a packet with my tarot cards. And the packets are not expensive.