Brokeback Mountain Reading

Knight of Wands

Hey all. :D

I decided to do a reading about the relationship between the characters of Jack and Ennis in 'Brokeback Mountain'.

I asked; Tell me about the relationship between Jack and Ennis

I used my Tarocchi Dell'Alba Dorata, a Majors only deck.

I got;

Situation - 5 - La Fede (The Hierophant)
Advice - 16 - Il Crollo (The Tower)
Outcome 15 - La Seduzione (The Devil)

I think the first card is amazingly literal. It shows a young elf hiding from an older creature behind a book. This obviously shows the situation that their relationship was in secret, they had to hide it from soceity. However, I also see the book as representing social standards and tradition, conformity. They hid behind the illusion of tradition, they hid behind socially accepted behaviour (marriage). The older creature has a gnarled, claw-like hand which he uses to turn the pages of his book. Could this mean they were hiding from the ugly, more cruel side of social conformity? On the older creature's hat is some crosses, although not exactly like the Christian cross, I cannot help but think how part of the reason they had to hide from others, was because of the strict religious belief that condemns homosexuality. I think it is very apt I used this deck, and this card come in this position, as it sums it up completely.

I now look to the second card, which presents advice. It shows a young boy riding away on a mouse, while a ant hill/castle explodes behind him. He doesn't look scared, maybe slightly wary, but relieved to escape all the same. I think this card says that Jack and Ennis, like Jack dreamed, should have escaped, left their homes, perhaps even their country, to find a place that accepted them, or at least didn't condemn then. of course, if this card suggests leaving things behind, it would also be logical to assume that Jack should have left his wife? This seems even more important when we consider that it was Jack's wife who eventually got him killed, and Jack's wife who inadvertantly, through killing Jack, broke Ennis' heart. I think that the two characters needed to shatter their illusions, and ties that held them back, and just escape. They needed to shatter their prison. Also, this could suggest a need for Ennis to release more, instead of keepi9ng things bottled up so much.

I think this card is very, very interesting. Chronoligicaly, this card should precede The Tower. I think this suggests that because Jack and Ennis didn't follow the advice of the Tower, they remained bound, tied to their passion, but also bound to an unhappy, unfulfilling life. They couldn't tear away from their prison and unhappy cycle. They couldn't progress past a sexual relationship, because they could never break away to be together.

Any thoughts welcomed :D

x KoW

Attachments

• . 001.jpg
    . 001.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 54

Whitestar

So interested to see this post because I just saw this film for the first time last weekend and it's been on my mind ever since!!!!

I completely agree with your reading interpretation.

Heirophant. They were stuck living a socially accepted/conventional way of life (hetero. marriage), and there was definitely an element of fear driving this---remember the story Ennis told about the murdered rancher his father made him see when he was only nine? And Ennis asks Jack if anyone ever looks at him strangely like he's different...then there's the violent fight between Ennis and Alma when Alma lets him know she knows what he's been up to with Jack on all of those fishing trips, his fishing gear was never ever used.

Tower as advice---they should have shattered the illusional life they were living. Lived the truth of what they were to each other.

Outcome Devil. They lived enslaved by social conventions. They chose not to free themselves out of fear (mostly Ennis...rejecting Jack's idea, but upon hearing Ennis's fears they could have had further discussion). Bound up by their passion for each other, not being able to express it or live it freely. I think Jack was more proactive trying to get them and/or himself out of the situation (being with other men, maybe trying to forget Ennis who wasn't budging----but couldn't free himself).

Knight of Wands

Whitestar, very interesting points there!

Whitestar

It would be interesting to do a spread for each of them, like a 3 card...

See the differences between them.

Flavio

Knight of Wands said:
I think this card is very, very interesting. Chronoligicaly, this card should precede The Tower.
Now that you mention chronology, I think the order of the cards also talks about a gay relationship in rural area was something "very ahead of its time"

Have you noticed that 5 has a shadow card in XIV (Temperance) but it is not there! probably they needed a more intelligent way to mix their love with the place and time they lived.

Congratulations! I'm impressed about the way you read this apparently "happy deck" with gnomes and funny little creatures like the boy riding a mouse (hey! they worked as cowboys!)