One Deck Wonder Support Thread

Little Baron

I am terrible. Absolutely awful.

I find it so hard to stay faithful to one deck, even though that is what I really want.

I never develop a decent relationship with the cards because I constantly chop and change.

So I do want to use the one deck.

But even though it starts to go well, I get those little twinges of unfaithfulness.

I know that some use about three decks. That is great, if it suits, but I feel that I need to use just the one - if only for a good six months.

I am happy with the Morgan Greer at the moment. I know that Baba's deck will be out in a month or so, but for now, me and MG are happy.

And then I read a thread about the Voodoo, and it gets me twinging again.

I have to tell myself that I tried the Voodoo and packed it away because it wasn't what I needed at the time.

So we have had a thread to dis-enable the buying of new decks. Here is one to dis-enable the chopping and changing of them.

Post your feelings and others can help you remember why you want to stick with just the one.

LB

darkiscross

How great it'd be to have just "the" one deck that bonds with you alone. You think: if the deck is your one and only, then surely you are its one and only too, possible?

Vargo's Gothic is my first tarot deck. When I was new to AT, the friendly members introduced me to the world of tarot decks. There are so many of them, thousands, I could take my own time looking through the decks and maybe buy more decks to add my my humble Gothic tarot. I'm shocked just how many decks some members have in their collection. *cough*WolfyJames*cough*

I've been in AT for a while. Three months? Give or take a few days. And already my family of tarot decks have grown to four. Still a lot less than some members' but decks are expensive, so even four is a lot to me.

Granted, I've more than one deck now, but Gothic will always be special. Not only because Gothic is my first deck ever, not only because Gothic possesses a darkness that we sing and dance to, but because I treat all my decks special.

Yeah this may sound stupid to you. What? Bits of paper and paint?

Establishing a bond between your deck and you is important if you want to read the cards properly. Every deck has its own language, and the artwork between two Two of Wands may seem to tell wholly different stories, give different messages (despite the traditional tarot meanings). Add the fact different readers interpret the cards differently.

Throw them all into the cauldron and you get the only simple answer: your bond with your deck is unique.

Personally, I "assign" the attributes to the decks.

Gothic stands for my Dark side and also it's separate from the other decks because it's my first, my special. If I were to have a favourite, it's Gothic. Though they're all my children so I treat them just the same.

Gilded assumes the role of the kindly lady of my family as well as my Light side. Thus far, a deck most beloved by the people I read for because of the beautiful cards.

My third deck is Dragon, the only deck based on Marseilles. He is untrustworthy at all. If I give you examples of the tricks Dragon have played on me, you wouldn't believe your ears/eyes. Needless to say, it's a deck I don't often talk to.

Archeon is my fourth deck. I bought it for the artwork. So mysterious is this deck I've yet to figure out its layers of meanings. Should I use it for magic? Spellcasting? I have an idea how to use The Lovers but what could the other cards be good for? (I'm enjoying the questions.)

Of course, favouritism is human nature. I'm glad to say Gothic is my one deck wonder.

Tesseljoan

I want to be faithful to one deck so badly. I have the Heron marseille out and I'm doing a 78 weeks study with it.

Or so I keep telling myself.

I commit myself to readings, thinking: ''I will use the Heron this time" and continuously chickening out.

And I have these delightful other decks that deserve to be used. My hands are itching to use that lovely Ferret, or to meditate with the gorgeous Ironwing. The International Icon is a good reading deck as well, and the Fairytale is fascinating.... etc. etc. I am such a flirt.

BUT! (this thread is not about constantly waffling about why we can't settle, right?)

Studying one deck in depth will create a instant recognition (and perhaps understanding) of the cards in the deck. I have spent 2 years alone with the RWS and three months with the Sakki-sakki, and they're delightful and easy to work with, and I want to have that feeling with this beautiful rendition of the Marseille as well.

Did I mention I have an Oswald Wirth majors on the way (Oooooo, there she goes again, waffle, waffle)

I don't know if I can actually offer support, being in the exact same boat as you LB. I can say, however, that I completely and utterly understand what you mean!

TheOld

got 3 deck, the Hadar marseille, the Thoth and the Tarot Initiatique of the master.

my Hadar is my all purpose deck, my Thoth is my magical and the Tarot Initiatique of the master is my initiatique deck.

I'v used only one deck for 6 monts/1 years and yes it deepend the connection.

for now my 3 deck give me great satisfaction.

Light
Omeada

Sulis

I was faithful to the International Icon for 6 months and I've been faithful to the Heron Conver since I stopped using the IIT(around 4 or 5 months ago).

I love just using one deck; it's helped me really get a dialogue going with my cards and I can honestly say that it's one of the best things I've done tarot-wise.

I'm definitely a one deck only lady these days :)

zach bender

I have only two decks: the Savage Tarot (which was reviewed on this site a year or so ago on a thread titled, not unfairly, "what a horrible deck") was my first, purchased on impulse at an art opening at which the original artwork was presented, and remains the deck with which I am more closely connected, though the imagery means almost nothing at all to me . . . and the basic Rider Waite, which I bought some months later in order to help with my understanding of the Savage (which, according to the artist, was based on the Rider meanings). Each of them gives a different flavor, though it would be hard to say exactly what that difference is . . . the Savage maybe dwells more on the negatives of my self-perception.

I read every day, for myself. I have done only one reading for another -- the inestimable L. -- and for that purpose I used the Rider. I would think that almost any reading I might do for anyone else would be with the Rider.

But I guess at this point, I am a "two deck" person. I do not foresee a need for additional decks. Maybe a Marseille, but it would serve the same function as the Savage (not using imagery to qualify the meanings of the minors).

zb

Sophie

zach bender said:
But I guess at this point, I am a "two deck" person. I do not foresee a need for additional decks. Maybe a Marseille, but it would serve the same function as the Savage (not using imagery to qualify the meanings of the minors).
I functioned very happily as a two-deck person for years. Then I discovered enabling...;)

I don't miss the two-deck years. They trained me, but I needed to be stretched further. Sometimes I spend a few months with one deck - not exclusively, but mainly. One deck, and lots of others on the side...

And then I change again. Whatever keeps my interest going. Maybe I'll go back to two decks one day - or - shock! - even one! It has to be an inner necessity, in any case.

inanna_tarot

yeah like Sulis said, doing the one deck wonder (or two deck wonder because I cheated lol) is the best thing I could have done. Dont get me wrong I'm a collector and lover of tarot, but now that I've spent time being very intimate with one or two decks that my own style has improved and now I can pick up my decks and read easily without worrying about the 'intellectual' study of a deck. I can just pick up and look and read.

But, unless you box up all your decks (which some people did!) be realistic and forgive yourself when you fall off the wagon. For me, it wasnt the being faithful that was the lesson, it was a tool to put me that one step further on my tarot journey.

At first it was a battle - like when you first start to meditate your brain gets all distracted. I had to tell myself that not using that deck was a good thing, that it'll be a test of my will power. Now when I read from my wonder decks, the reading just has a whole new dimension to it and that has given me the confidence to do other things in my life, and be more open with tarot in general :)

Sezo
x

Satori

I'm doing the following:
-Pro readings get done with the Old English
-At home I'm using the Besancon and the Fournier or the Swiss 1JJ.

But I don't like the Swiss much yet. I love the Besancon, and I do love the Fournier, but the Swiss is not really me.

I'm praying my Hadar will turn up soon so that I can use it as my third rather than the Fournier, but until then, it is the Fournier.

The Camoin is a little too bright for me.

zach bender

I had the unexpected experience of using a third deck this morning. Got to the coffeehouse before realizing I had left the savage deck at home, had only the deck of playing cards I use for "calculation" solitaire as a preliminary to doing my daily reading. decided to use the playing cards, and accept a reading without majors or knights. thinking about it, this deck is actually almost infinitely more familiar with me than either of my tarot decks, as I have been using it for this particular form of solitaire once or twice a day, up to three games each sitting, for almost five years, long before I even thought about tarot. so the deck is invested with at least the abstract, mathematical part of my awareness. and the reading was okay -- heavy on courts, no minors below eight (except one ace), four pentacles, three cups, three pairs, some interesting input.

So now that this deck has offered itself to me, I wonder if I am obliged, somehow, to do the occasional reading with it as well.

zb