Fairy Ring Oracle - Habetrot

geministar

Card: Habetrot
Court: Summer, Four

In this card a lady dressed in green sits next to her spinning wheel. In the background is a fairy mound and a tall upstanding stone with holes in it. It is from inside this type of stone that one can see fairies.

A Habetrot is a Lowland Scots fairy and the patroness of spinning. It is believed that a shirt woven by her is efficacious against any ill.

On first glance of the card I see a lady who has been working very hard at her spinning. She looks like she is taking a well earned break. She has been working very hard at making good come into your life. Habetrot does not despise doing this as this is her fairy role and she helps those that want to be helped.

The stone is visible to us because we can only see Habetrot from the holed stone.

purple_scorp

Oh, poor Habetrot!

I think yes, she is overworked and also taken for granted with little or no reward for her effort.

But, she looks bored. She is staring off into the distance....dreaming of a time long ago, or of one she will never experience.

She knows how to spin so well, I expect she doesn't even have to watch what she does, which is why I also think she spends a lot of time dreaming of a different life.

The rock with the hole, reminds me of an owl - and an owl always signifies wisdom. And then, there's that butterfly at the bottom of the card - yes, she feels trapped in her life and longs for freedom.

I don't understand why we need that rock to see Habetrot when Habetrot is actually on this side of the rock. Is that her rock to see when the fairies come out from their house?

I can imagine a progressed card, that shows her sitting in the same place in 20 years time, only, her hair is a little greyer.

Sure, she provides a great communal service but, she's getting jack of her life now.

with love
purple_scorp

LilRed

I'm going to try giving my impression then reading the replies and the book.

I get a feeling of contentment, peace, taking a break from the world of spinning. There is a fairy stone and Fairy Mound behind her...mischievousness could be around the corner perhaps?

Ok so didn't notice the long lip, still barely do after reading the book. Looking through the standing stone that has a self bored hole was what allowed the girl in the story to see Habetrot. Habetrot was definitely mischievous tricking the new husband that way.