Morgan Greer - 5 of Cups

Sentient

The other day my thoughts turned to the Morgan-Greer 5 of cups.

I find the Waite-Smith 5C very useful and communicative, but the image itself is rather flat. It’s very symbolic; that is to say, it doesn’t appear to be a scene one would see in real life.

In contrast, the MG 5C is dynamic and alive. To my eyes the man is more downcast than inconsolable. For that, I would almost expect to see him with his hands on his face.

But the sky above him is wonderful! The atmosphere is swirling and disturbed, communicating the man’s troubled thoughts much more effectively than does his profile. The birds too, in attempting to ride the air currents, are going every which way. The contrast of light and dark is the most realistic depiction of the sky I have ever seen in any deck.

In WS, I believe the structure in the distance represents the home of the peaceful heart, accessible only by crossing the bridge over “troubled waters.” In the MG this structure comes closer and becomes a focus of interest. It seems to be mostly ruined, yet the tower is still standing; there is no light coming from the windows. Pretty close to the man’s situation I’d say!

But there are signs of hope. The lush, verdant green of the ground cover near the castle stands in contrast to the flat, muddy, barren expanse near the shore. The green has even managed to climb the walls and find a perch atop the roof – proof not of some sort of smothering, but of the fact that life goes on even when the careful structures of our lives take a beating. Even in its current state the tower looks like it could provide passable shelter if need be.

In my opinion this is a well-done, evocative card. What does everyone else think? Like it? Hate it?

brenmck

Agree, this is a great card, and there are many of them in the Morgan Greer. There are castles in a couple of other cards where you don't traditionally see them, as in the Knight of Swords - that one is definitely stoked. Here it is decaying - a tree grows out of the tower. The expressive sky; it's darker over the figure than in the distance.
Is that a ghostly silhouette in the garden gate? Is he being watched?
The figure wears a heavy cloak and a mantle so high that he'd have to turn his whole body to see the remaining Cups, but chooses not to, refuses to make the effort - depression; why bother? But the colors are deep and rich, so it's his perception that makes it all a scene of gloom. "Regret" seems to be the message, for sure.

Sentient

brenmck: I must admit, your post got me thumbing through my trusty Morgan-Greer looking for "castles where you don't traditionally see them."

I did notice the tower on the Knight of Swords as you pointed out - it's really quite something. Well worth a separate thread, which I might just start.

I didn't see too many others - perhaps you could tell me if I've missed any.

Yes, I do see the silhouette in the archway - nice spot!

One thing I've noticed about the MG images is that nearly all the facial expressions are neutral and rather flat. It's a shame really, since facial expressions come in such variety and can tell you so much about what a person is thinking or feeling.

Concerning the MG 5C, I see this image very much the same as the WS, but with the difference that the MG implies swirling thoughts and a confusion of "what ifs" whereas the WS seems more about the hole we throw ourselves into when we come face to face with Loss.

Rede Seeker

Returning after a long absence?

The extreme red of the liquid running out of the cups reminds me of blood. There is much blood spilled here in the mud. No grass grows here but across the bay/lake/river, the hillside is rich green. The structure on the hill is run down, crumbling, but someone is still there barely visible in the archway. I get a sea-side vibe from the birds. I can hear them wailing their lament to match the young man's sorrow. His cloak is brown, a different shade than the muddy ground before him, but also with red piping, not as red as the liquid on the ground.

Are the two cups behind him empty? Is he bringing them back to his home after his journey? Perhaps he brought them with him and set them on the rock while he mourns for what was lost while he was away?

The sky behind the structure on the hillside is lighter than the sky over the young man. There is hope ahead of him and potential behind him. Let him acknowledge the losses and move on.