Want to study the Nigel Jackson?

Little Baron

I have been using this deck for a couple of days.

And I really like the imagery.

I am slowly coming to terms with the changes in element, but there are also some quite different takes on image too.

Anyone want to play?

I am thinking of going through the suits first, starting with Coins.

What do you think? Will be far easier together ....

LB

The 78th Fool

I'll definitely go for this but I may not be on the boards much until I've got my house move out of the way. I use this deck a lot and it has inspired a fair amount of the imagery in my own work.

Chris. xx

Little Baron

Well, [as far as I know] I am not going anywhere.

So hopefully, you can chime in when possible Chris. I would be very interested in how others work with it. It is like an adventure story book. I love the illustrations. I just need a little help, I think.

I hope the house move is all going as planned. Good luck!

LB

The 78th Fool

Should be exchanging contracts any time now. Van booked for next Friday whether or not !!!!!

What drew me to this deck was the fact that it combined the usability of the Rider Waite with the Medieval worldview of the earlier traditions. Apart from the artwork being gorgeous, it's wonderful to have a Strength card more properly called Fortitude. It reflects the fact that we're dealing with one of the traditional virtues rather than an abstract. It's also wonderful to see the blind Goddess Fortune turning her wheel - she's too often ignored of late in favour of strange beasts and alchemical symbols !!

I've always loved the whole Swords/Fire thing and I ended up adopting it for the Butler Tarot because of this and the Brian Williams Renaissance deck.

Where I find this deck benefits me the most is that it's close enough to the Rider tradition to be familiar but it works really well when I've got a little too complacent with the imagery on my other Rider based decks. It's sufficiently different to give me a good jolt when I need it - almost like looking at a painting by one of the Great Masters from sideways on rather than head on.

Chris. xx

Little Baron

Nice points, Chris.

I looked at this deck many times over the years but did not like it. Dismissed it as 'wishy-washy' - until I held a copy recently in London. But they had no further copies in the shop.

And then, I got one in a trade from Martyn_Uk. And I love the images. Wishy-washy is now replaced by 'dreamy'. I love looking at the complex little cities, hidden houses, fluffy puffy clouds and wispy beards. It is a deck that I think would be great for pathworking and meditation, as well as reading.

But while I mention reading, the reason for a study group is to connect with the images better. They are not stark. And in a reading, they do not all stand out. This could be a problem, so I know that I need to get some serious connection going on.

LB

strings of life

Reviving the Nigel Jackson Study Group?

* dusts off a 4 1/2 year old thread *

This is quite an empty Study Group with only 2 cards done. I received this deck as a gift and I've grown quite attached to it in a short time. My copy is trimmed to the bone and was tea-stained; I can't even imagine what it would look like with the white borders! I'll have to pay attention to the card name changes that are in the book (i.e. Strength/Fortitude).

There is so much to work with and I'm curious about many of the symbols, themes and even the Swords/Fire Wands/Air significance.

Is anyone else interested in studying this right now as well? I've been terrible with Study Groups in the past, but largely because I think it helps if others are also around as well.

sapienza

This is one of my favourite decks but I never feel I dedicate quite enough time to it. I'm thinking I might start posting my thoughts on some of the cards so figured I should post here first in case anyone else is interested. I always feel this is a much under-appreciated deck due to the fire-air switch thing, but as I like fire with swords it works really well for me.

sapienza

Well, amazingly for me, I've actually got started on posting some new threads to this study group. If anyone is interested in joining me that would be lovely. :)

This really is such a wonderful deck and at the moment I'm using it exclusively although I sometimes refer to my Ancient Italian as well. Doing daily draws has been a wonderful way for me to really connect with the cards and some of the insights have been really helpful in my understanding of the cards generally. I hope to keep posting whenever I find the time.

Ladyoflosttimes

**raises hand** What Nigel Jackson deck are you talking about?

I looked up Nigel Jackson on the card page and came up with 3. Rumi – Fortuna’s wheel – Medieval Enchantment . I am new to tarot and the only deck I have is Witches Tarot by Ellen Cannon and one of the reasons I really like this deck is because the Swords and Wands are reversed. I have always thought of swords to be of fire and wands to be of wind so when I saw there is another deck out there the same way it peaked my interest. Is there any others that way as well?

sapienza

Hi, sorry for the confusion. This study group is working with the Medieval Enchantment deck. When it was first released it was simply called the Nigel Jackson deck which is a little confusing. Sadly the deck is now out of print. Fortuna's wheel is a majors only limited edition deck which I believe is now almost impossible to find.

For a list of decks with Swords-Fire and Wands-Air have a look at the link here.

Welcome to the forum. :)