Questions I'm Embarrassed I Don't Know-Help Please

Tansey Ella

edited

shininglion

Wow, that's a lot of questions Breezes!

I'll try to address as many of these as I feel comfortable answering. I haven't studied as extensively as some of the other members of this board, but I can offer you at least some guidance.

As for your question about spreads, you're partially right. If you laid all the cards in a straight line they'd have the same meanings as the spread numbers, but spreads have a layout for a few reasons. Firstly, like you said, some cards can be read in relation to their position near other cards. If you feel this is too advanced for you at this point, my best advice is to stick with smaller spreads between 3 and 6 cards. The Celtic Cross is 10 cards, but its very easy to learn and a lot of people start with that one too.

Another reason spreads have layouts is because many times it helps to remember the meanings. The Celtic Cross is a great example of this. In the Celtic Cross, the cards going from left to right in the first section are past, present, and future [Cards 5, 1, 6]. From top to bottom they are conscious (influence you see), immediate influence (you may or may not see), and subconcious (something you aren't seeing) [cards 3, 2, 4]. The stem of the cross (which is placed to the right of the first half, only to save space), reads from bottom to top and goes: Queren'ts feelings, Outside Influences, Hopes and Fears, Outcome [7, 8, 9, 10].

here's what that spread looks like. Card 2 gets laid sideways over card 1.

---3------10
5-1/2-6---9
---4------8

Do you see now how the logic of the layout works? It's easy to remember the card positions because they follow closely with the meanings of positions next to them. (e.g. past, present, future). So the spread can be read in that manner.

Ease of remembering meanings and why each position has those particular meanings is probably the biggest reason we have spreads. If we laid every spread out in an easy shape, like a square, or a line, it might take more time to remember how each one differs in meaning from the next. However, with most smaller spreads, the shapes are very simple, and it works just fine.

And of course, different spreads adress different problems, and therefore are designed to give different answers that pertain to your specific situation. Some spreads will tell you about relationships, others about a job, and others about past lives even. Each spread has specific meanings so that it can adress a problem more directly and accurately, rather than just using a general spread to get general feelings about the situation.

As for your question on reversals, many tarot readers believe that if a card is laid upside down in a spread, that it has an alternate meaning. However, there are also many readers who don't practice this, and especially beginning readers. I have been into tarot for a few years now and I still don't feel comfortable enough with the card's meanings to learn how to read them reversed yet, so my best advice is: For the time being, just get comfortable with each card's regular meaning. Don't worry about cards getting turned upside down while you shuffle. Just lay them down one at a time when you do a reading, and if you lay any down upside down, turn them around, so that all the cards in the spread are upright.

That's the way I do it, and it works out just fine for me.

About significators. The Significator is usually a Court Card, but can be a Major Arcana card too. This is simply a card you pick from the deck before hand that you think best represents the querent. I personally have never fully understood this practice either. I think it's purpose is simply to set the mood for the spread, but if you take out a card as a significator, then that card can't appear anywhere else in your spread, and I feel like that can make you miss a valuable oppurtunity to get answers from that card.

That's all I can help you with. I'm sure some others on here can chip in on your other questions and add to some of my responses as well. My best advice is to just take it slow. Stick with simple spreads and learn the cards. Read the meanings often. Thirteen's Tarot Meanings on Aeclectic really helped me to learn them fast.

Here's a link to that. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

Good luck with your readings Breezes!

LixiPixi

Breezes said:
Hi, I'm new to tarot, just learning, been doing this about 1 month or so. I only read for myself and may when I'm more knowledge read for a friend or relative, for help basically. My question is so basic, I'm embarrassed but I'm a trusting soul, so here goes.

Try not to be embarrassed. I've only been working with the tarot for about 2 months now myself. It's a vast interest with tons of what's, if's, and's and but's, if you ask me! To help ease your embarrassment, my "silly" question that I was afraid to ask anyone was "Exactly how do you turn the card over to lay it out right after you shuffle?" I have ALWAYS flipped cards from bottom to top (vertical fashion) However, I found that with the tarot, if I did that then ALL my cards ended up reversed! I'm happy to report that I finally found the answer in one of my books that described dealing out the cards just like turning the pages of a book, flip from left to right when laying it down :)

Breezes said:
Why do you need the cards in a spread shape? If 1 is 1, and you are picking them off the top of the deck or randomly, where you put 1 in the spread, you would have drawn the same card - so what is the point?

The best way I could explain this one (and I'm no expert either) but I think you're right, it really doesn't mean anything pertinent. As long as you have a mental placement of what each card's position is so they fall where they need to be, a past card in a past position, then I wouldn't worry about it.

From what I've read around here, many people just lay their cards out in a straight line and forget the "pretty patterns". However, sometimes you may want to look at an underlying issue. By placing the card UNDER another, say the card that represents the issue, then it's just a nice visual references for the reader. You can look at the fancy layout and say without hesitation that X card is the "crown" or X is the "past" or X is the "future" simply by seeing where it sits. Otherwise, I don't think it really does matter much.

Breezes said:
When I shuffle, I notice that the outside cards will often get reversed during shuffling (as I always start with all cards straight up). I will if I notice it turn the pile back so it is straight up again. Does it matter?

I don't think it matters unless you plan to read the reversals. I've seen most experienced posters say that us newbies shouldn't be concerned with reversals until we actually learn the uprights anyway. I've had unexplained reversals happen to me twice during the shuffling, but have since not had it happen. My Healing with Angels Oracle actually says "You will find that even if you arrange all the cards right-side-up as you shuffle them, one or more cards will still be upside down when you lay them out. This occurs through the Universal Law of Attraction." Now I haven't had that happen since I discovered that statement - go figure...LOL

Breezes said:
Also, some decks assume you have a "subject" or i guess itis called 'significator" card. how do you determine that?

Anything I've read about selecting a significator card says to select one of the court cards that is most like the querent, whether it be personality-wise, or appearance, etc. I feel like I'm making a sales pitch for this book today as it's the 2nd time I've mentioned it, but it has REALLY been helpful - "Tarot Reading Made Easy - It's All in the Cards, by John Mangiapane". Also "The Tarot Court, by Mary Greer" I think is her name, is a fantastic book and explains TONS of information.

This post may be the blind leading the blind being that we're both new to all this, but I hope I was able to help answer most of your questions.

I'd like to add you to my buddy list - maybe we could share "silly" questions with each other that way first on occasion? hehehe

LP~ :)

memries

I only have one thing that might interest you ! John Mangipane is on here as Tarotbear and Mary Greer is Teuhuti or something like that ! They really are live people ! Have fun.

LixiPixi

memries said:
I only have one thing that might interest you ! John Mangipane is on here as Tarotbear and Mary Greer is Teuhuti or something like that ! They really are live people ! Have fun.

How cool! Thanks for sharing that info memries! :thumbsup:

Moonbow

I'm moving this thread to Using Tarot cards as the Spreads forum isn't the best place to get answers to these questions.

Have a look at How To Read

I think every question you have should be answered in those threads.

Moonbow*

Tansey Ella

edited

starrystarrynight

Hi Breezes,

Here is a thought about the "fancy shapes" of some of the spreads. Many people read the cards intuitively--that is, they look at the colors, images, shapes and symbols, etc., on each card and read with their feelings about what the cards mean to them. When they then place them into shaped spreads, they can read each card in conjunction with that card which is beside, above, below or whatever, and get part of their "storyline" (reading) that way.

(I am not explaining this well, so let me give an example...)

If you have two cards beside each other in a particular spread, and the central image on each card is, say a person, an intuitive reader may look at the two cards as a unit. Are the two people in the cards facing each other? With backs to each other? One facing the other, but the other with back turned, seemingly oblivious that the first is even there? These kinds of things can heighten the reader's intuition. You know, maybe "Mary" is standing right behind "Jack", beckoning to him...but Jack is on his horse and riding away from her. This may spark something in the reader intuitively about the possible realtionship between the two principals.

I hope that makes sense to you (Not explaining it well, I know...)

But his is one reason readers use shaped spreads...

celticnoodle

Breezes, I would not worry about asking any kind of questions on this forum--it's a forum to help everyone learn first of all! To answer your questions-in my opinion, you don't have to have a spread to lay your cards out. Lots of tarot readers don't use spreads, or make their own up, (see the forum for tarot spreads & you'll see most are made up by members to this site). However, Both Lion.wings & Starrystarrynight gave great advice regarding the spreads also.

Secondly, you don't have to pull the top card off the deck to lay in a certain order. Before I ever took up reading the cards, one of the tarot reader I use to go to would just spread the entire deck out face down on the table and have me choose them randomly. she was a great reader too!

As far as the cards being turned upside down--well, that again is a personal choice. If you want to read cards w/a different meaning when they turn upside down, do so, if you only take into consideration the upright meaning, that is fine too. I do both, depending on the reading I am doing and the cards I use. It really also depends on my mood at the time. However, I do think you have to have all three of these things sorted out in your own mind before you begin the reading.

Now, as far as the significator card goes--again personal choice. I rarely pick a significator card, for the reason that lion.wings mentioned in their post. But, if you are going to do so, I think that also can be whatever card you seem to identify with at the time. If you are doing a reading for someone that you don't know well and need a significator card, then you may want to consider using court card, unless they know enough about tarot to choose another card to represent themselves.

also, as LixiPixi mentioned the book "Tarot Reading Made Easy - It's All in the Cards, by John Mangiapane" is an excellent book when learning the tarot. I do not have the other book mentioned, but have seen good things about it on this site. Had no idea they both were members of this site though.

John's book is also inexpensive, and an excellent resource. I still (after years of playing with the tarot), use it as a resource during readings.

hopefully you will find some good advice here and elsewhere on this website and become comfortable enough to choose which way you prefer to do your readings. The main thing is to relax and enjoy the tarot, and you'll do well.

wolfmaiden58

It's tricky when you're just starting out, as I found there's so much to interpret, and so much to learn, especially when you want to jump right in and start doing readings.

IMHO, as I only read from the Thoth deck now, I found elemental dignities very important in interpreting this very esoteric deck, as no reversals are used. So, the spreads and arrangements of the cards are quite critical. Also, I only use 2 spreads - the so-called Thoth spread, and the Cabalistic spread - haven't even gone near the 'opening of the key' spread yet!!

With other decks, I feel it's possible to be a lot more intuitive, rather than be guided by the LWB - once you know the basic meanings and symbolism of the cards, anyhow.

Just jump in to the Reading Exchange - it's a fantastic learning arena!!

wolfie