shipping cost from UK to US?

northsea

What's a reasonable cost for shipping a large-size tarot deck from the UK to the US? There's a UK seller on Ebay who quoted 12 pounds for shipping which is about $25 US dollars. Does that sound about right? I bought a large book from a UK bookseller on Amazon for no extra shipping cost, only the standard $3.50, but they may have paid part of the shipping out of their own pocket.

redflash

I sent a very large, heavy deck to the states a few months ago & it cost me just under £13.

northsea

Thanks for your input, redflash.

Lillie

It can cost a fair bit, especially if it is to be tracked and signed for and stuff like that.

But on the other hand some sellers hike up the postage to make money.

I recently got something off ebay and I paid over £7 for the postage, and when it arived it had cost less than £3.
Bit unfair in one way, but in another, well, it was what they quoted and I could either bid for the item or not bother.

star-lover

Well I send things abroad all the time
Ive just weighed one of my decks in its box and the packaging
assuming that ebay deck is twice the weight of a average size one
this is what it comes to when sent as a *small packet*

£6

now if they are sending it as a letter - it would be around the £12 mark

The cheapest way to get it is to ask for surface mail which is approximately half the cost of airmail (if youre not in a hurry for it)

and yes on Amazon the postage is a flat fee - the seller pays the rest out of his own pocket or more likely adds it on to the asking price to begin with

What deck is it? I've seen a Salvador Dali one which is big and the box it comes in must be quite heavy as its leather, not paper

Lillie, isn't it annoying, I once paid around £5 for postage for a ring - i assumed it was coming special delivery or something - turned up in a paper envelope with a 1st class stamp!!

Kenny

I brought something from a online US shop. They charged $25.00 and it only cost $15.00 to send.

Although they said they would issue refunds on extra postage paid they never did, or respond to my 'mails. Guess what, not using them again.

redflash

I buy a lot of stuff from the states & the postage is always really cheap. BUT.... when I post over there it costs me a fortune. The one in my first reply that cost me just under £13 was a lunatic tarot & a birthday card wrapped in bubblewrap, all in one box.

The biggest/heaviest item I have had from the states cost me 65 dollars in postage, but it was a book that weighed about 12 lbs that reached me in 4 days, & when I checked out the postage they had only charged me a minimal fee for handling, they hadn't made money on the shipping charges.

I shudder to think what that would have cost to send from the UK !

Grizabella

You have to be very, very careful about buying from eBay. Always look at the shipping cost! Especially if the item seems to be a real bargain. You'll find people charging outrageous amounts on postage when it costs nowhere near that to actually ship. Usually they're here in America when they use this trick, too. I never buy from them. It always costs more than what the item is worth or even more than what you'd pay for the item brand new, even if you think you're getting the item for less than a dollar.

I shipped a deck to Finland by air mail a few days ago and it only cost $7.50. I've sent a larger package to England and it cost only $11.00. One to Germany cost about $12.00. All these were air mail. For me, that's high shipping because I don't have a big budget, but as shipping overseas goes, I don't think it's all that bad. Especially since it's air mail.

Lillie

You got to watch out for stuff from China.

There's all this lovely stuff, real cheap, and whern you find out how much the postage is, it's about £80!

I don't know why ebay don't put a stop to it.

I don't bid if they won't tell the postage.
I always figure it into the price.

If it's worth it then it's worth it.

If it's not then I won't buy it.