Bright Ideas Deck Study Group - 2- High Priestess

rpbat

I would like to take a stab at her as generally speaking she is one of my five favorite cards in the deck (who am I kidding, I couldn't narrow it down to five with a gun to my head) In BID Our lady is wearing sandles (cluesless if this is supposed to represent something) holds a lit lamp and book above her head and looks to me to be meditating. She is standing on water which to me represents the unconscious and the fact that she is not bound by any physical restraints (both above or below is her comfort zone). I noted the camel which represents the hebrew letter Gimel. The moon is her astrologhical element (though why it is waning I have not got a clue) but no stars. I compared five priestess cards from different decks and on three water was what she was on. Though in the jungian deck her face was half hidden (for secrets) the dali deck she displays both anima and animus. I read in many souces that she has been represented as the virgin Mary and Isis. This is a quote I found interesting from Jungs Tarot Psychology written by Robert Wang; " The HP is a cold and calculating point of formulation of undifferentiated consciousness from which collective perception develops." Oh yeah and four of the five HP cards were holding books (except for the golden dawn deck). I know she represents intuiton and secrets. K, what do you guys think. The moderator told me in an email that we should feel free to post so here it is. Any commentsDo you think the four elements are represented here in this card? Trice personal website removed by forum moderator

annik

The ripple around her feet makes me think of the impact she may possess around her. She is calm even if she have her feet on top of the water. There is palms trees and a pyramid in the background. It gives a bit of exotism to the card.

A sea shell is the only thing missing to mistake this one with Aphrodite!

greycats

I signed up for this study when it began, but during the period when it was not active I found myself doing the Maat. So, I'll be glad to contribute from time to time if somebody else can keep it going. ;)

So, the High Priestess: titled Intuition. She's wearing black or very dark blue (the little black dress?) instead of white. In the water's reflection, her dress looks more bluish, while the dress one sees directly looks more black. Dark blue or black would do for the color of the night sky, the color of mystery associated with Isis.

There's also the date palms and the pyramid along with the camel which makes the scene a proper one for Isis. And it was Isis who brought about the wet season in ancient Egypt.

Sandals might be Egyptian.

One also sees date palms in addition to the pomegranates on the curtain behind the RWS High Priestess.

She's at the still center.
She has her eyes shut, so she's not relying on what she sees about her. Intuition again.
----------------------------------------------------------
Elements:
She stands in water and holds fire. (2 elements)

The alchemical symbol for air is an upward pointing triangle with a horizontal line through it. We have one without a line (the pyramid) which symbolizes the element of fire.

To some people, books=communication=air.
Trees and animals are associated with earth.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I guess reflection is the reason she's standing in a puddle.

Perhaps we're supposed to think "light of knowledge" when we see her with her arms in the air?

I dunno why she's wearing a drop-waist dress. :grin: