Llewellyn Tarot - The Lovers

gypsy_morrigan

This card shows a man and woman seated on a throne, with an angel depicted on a rich curtain behind them. The overall colors are red and gold, with a touch of blue--very sumptuous.

I like the way this couple is seated together--they are both sheltering/protecting the other in some way. She is seated on his lap, but cradles his head in her arm. They look very comfortable together. The angel's expression is somewhat bland, as though he doesn't really care much about the couple one way or the other. I am curious about the snake on the candlestick--is he a throwback to the traditional "Adam and Eve" lovers? The author mentioned him in the book, but not as part of the legend for the card, so I wonder why he was included.

As I'm newly engaged, I feel rather drawn to this card, and love the fact that the lovers share the same hair color as myself and my fiance. Other than that though, our story is rather different from theirs :).

Lleminawc

Gypsy

Congratulations on your engagement.

I don't have the book that goes with these cards, so I don't know how much she says about the legend. This card depicts the Dream of Maxen from the Mabinogion. Maxen was (in the mythic realm) a Roman Emperor who one day fell asleep while hunting and found himself transported to a remote castle, where he met a woman who he instantly fell in love with. On waking he declared that his life would be empty until he found her again, and messengers were despatched to search the length and breadth of the Empire. Eventually they found the castle, and the woman from Maxen's dream, in the north of Wales: her name was Elen or Helen, they married and she became Empress of Rome.

There's no mention of the snake or the angel in the original story. The angel is there, I suppose, to keep faith with traditional Tarot iconography.

CLRC

the Snake

I do not think the snake has any connection to the "Adam and Eve" story as to Celts the snake was revered.
I did some searching and found a link to the discussion of Celtic serphant symbolism.
http://irelandsown.net/serpent.html
Just my take on it, the snake probably has a healing connection in this context.
Kelly

Vechernitsa

the snake

I think that the snake comes out of the traditional RW concept of the Lovers card. I chose to have that deck because it's images follow the traditional RW imagery, but are full with new mythology and the art work gives them a sotr of mysticism that just overwhelms me.

easternsunrise

I love the image of the couple in this card. Macsen appears to still be dreaming as he holds Helen. The angel that appears in the RWS deck is now shown on a red and gold hanging behind the couple. They seem so lost in eachother and at peace. A lovely card.

Ambrosia

I like the way the angel is depicted on a curtain rather than a christian kind of "vision". I feel it is saying that love is a human emotion if that makes sense. It doesnt come from some outward source but it also evokes the love of fellow man. The snake I would say is a symbol representing deciet. Maybe he is saying to love kindly and not to resort to trickery,to love without ego. This is very much taken from christian type symbolism of the snake as im afraid i dont know anything about the snake in celtic mythology. I will definately be looking into this though. I love the way the lovers are shown in a loving embrace, very caring, rather than in a sexual way. I think this shows love for what it really should be, gentle and profound.