How optimistic do you feel about the 10 of Wands?

Miren

So in today's reading I drew a 10 of Wands as my overall card for the day. Kind of depressing, but it really fit how I was already feeling about the day. I guess my question is, do you see this more as a card saying "You're going to have a hard time" or as a card saying "It's hard right now, but keep going and you'll make it"? Or something else?

Grizabella

I see the 10 of Wands as a warning and a choice card. It's saying that you're carrying a very heavy burden but it's giving you the choice to lighten your load. If it's a heavy burden through circumstances beyond your control, then your choice can be to treat yourself extra well---baby yourself---to get through it. If you've taken on more than your share through your own choices, it reminds you that you need to slow down and lighten up on yourself or lighten up on the number of hours you work, etc. Sometimes I think it tells you not to go around with a sad and oppressive attitude, but to try to see the lighter side of the burdensome thing you're going through, too.

madmoiselle

Try to see the Ten as an ending and a beginning. The day won't last for-ever. After all your hard work, some-thing will come out of it, and your burden will be lifted.

ribbitcat

It seems to me that some of the burden in the 10 of Wands (RWS deck) is self-imposed - think if the man simply reorganized the wands so that he could carry them easier: to me, this means prioritizing one's tasks. In addition, this would have the effect of him being able to see his path ahead more clearly - where is he going, and why; what is the ultimate purpose of the wands he carries? It would be easy for him to put them down - either for a rest, or permanently : this is about one's choices - what one takes upon oneself to do, not all of which may be necessary. He could get a help : this could be delegation of some of the tasks.

Regardless, he has the energy and stamina currently to carry his load, but this is not a situation that can be maintained longterm.

ribbitcat

jenessa

QUOTE >> I guess my question is, do you see this more as a card saying "You're going to have a hard time" or as a card saying "It's hard right now, but keep going and you'll make it"? Or something else?

In answer to your question, i view 10 Wands a lil differently than most, in that for me this card represents completion. So under this influence the querent MAY be experiencing results. For instance, they may have recently seen the result of some endeavour ... or they could be about to see the outcome of something.

So for me this card relates to: a condition or situation that has gone as far as it can. & As such this card could ALSO appear when the client needs to bring something to a point of completion.

So i don't see this card as representing hard times, but rather i think it speaks of completion. & For me interestingly enough, on its own this card does NOT INDICATE whether the querent will meet with success or failure as regards their objective or with respect to their situation. So i generally look at the surrounding cards to try & see whether the querents situation appears favourable or not, or draw a clarifying card if necessary.

In its reversed position or IF ill-dignified, 10 Wands can ALSO refer to: a situation that has gone as far as it can, in the sense that what is done IS done. & As such there may be little the querent can do to change or alter the outcome. OR this card could also apply in the sense that they've gotten as much as they can out of this cycle, activity or process, and so this MAY be an indication that there is really nothing left to gain at this point in time. So in this sense, this reversal MAY be signaling the need for the client to re-evaluate their priorities or reconsider their objectives.

So i guess i'm in the later catergory re: viewing this card as "something else", altho i'm curious whether the way i view this card had any significance re: your daily draw??

Miren

jenessa my day/reading could possibly apply to the latter part of your explanation. I'm not really sure. It was a hard day with a lot of "just got to get through this" and also a lot of trying to reframe my attitude towards things. But I got through it and now it's over (for the present) and my fiance is visiting and life is a lot better. Subjectively, at least.

Bronwyn1

Doesn't the visit with your fiance seem so much happier now? In the RWS, there is a house in the background which to me sybolizes a safe, loving place. It's the place where the man can set down his burden., like the saying and don't quote me, you need to go through the hard times to appreciate the good ones and they seem soooo much better!!

Miren

Fulgour said:
Ten of Wands
Fourth Aeclectic Community Tarot Deck
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/project/4/10_wands.shtml

That's very different from my Ten of Wands, which can be seen on this page [personal website removed by moderator]. With Gilded I feel it's a bit less hopeful than your link or even the RWS one. No house, no straight and majestic back. Just a lot to carry...possibly too much.

WalesWoman

You could think of the 10 Wands as all the things you want, or desire, the different directions your interests take you, the things that lite a fire in your belly and how often people refer it as having their plates full...
each one of these is some commitment of time and energy, not neccessarily bad, but sometimes becomes unorganized and ackward (sorry, no matter how I spell it, it looks all wrong.) I think the focus can be more on the end of the journey, the thing that keeps you going without dropping any of the wands, the purpose of why you picked them all up in the first place.

It could become cumbersome and burdensome, depending on your attitude, it might be realizing that you have taken a lot on and it's wearing you down or that the time has come to be able to take a break, trade all the wands in for one new one with the Page.

It's a good card to draw on a Friday... when you can put your workload down and enjoy the weekend, because you carried your end of the load to closing time.