Celtic Tarot by DeBurg - 4 of Swords....thoughts?

LixiPixi

Does anyone have the Celtic Tarot by DeBurg?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtic-2/

I received this deck from Tarot Garden and just love it, but I'm a little taken back by the 4 of Swords. Normally, I consider this card to be one of rest, reflection, contemplation, those types of things. But the 4 of Swords in this deck is so different. The only thought that comes to my mind about it is treason, betrayal or, I don't know, entrapment maybe?

Several men are sitting around a large table having a feast. One man is being held under control at sword-point by another as if being brought before the King for his wrong-doings. Another sits in the background just watching as if he's a child evesdropping(sp?) at the top of the stairs on the "adult" time downstairs. I just don't get this card.

Would love some other thoughts on it!

LP~

WolfSpirit

Hi LixiPixi, according to the book - the knight in the background (the "eavesdropper") is one who always causes trouble and not allowed to take part in the feast - but he tried to set up all the knights against each other by telling each of them to claim the biggest portion of meat (the champion's portion).
The knights at the table do not fall for this and divide the meat into equal portions for each of them (and so peace is restored). I think they are about to "attack" the meat with their swords. But it does look like the man in the red dress is threatened by the man behind him, doesn't it. Must be unlucky composition, it does not seem to be intended that way.

LixiPixi

wow - who'da thought! Thank you so much for the book's explanation, WolfSpirit. You're right about the composition problem....I definitely see a threatening situation there, even AFTER hearing the story behind it. The explanation on the eavesdropping knight was a huge help and that really helps to put into perspective why he's up there looking down on all of them that way. Like a teenager being grounded...hehehe

I'm hoping to find the book for this one. There are so many cards that follow the RWS, but then again, there are several that take a different turn. I'd have never given the book's perspective on this card without your help.

I'm hoping I can find the book somewhere. Can you tell me the name of it, or is it the same as the deck's name?

Thanks again, WolfSpirit!

LP~

WolfSpirit

The book is definitely worth it. For every card he has the Story of the Card, every card depicts something from a Celtic myth. He can only give the short version of the stories of course but it makes the deck come more alive. He also gives the card meanings.
A card that got me stumped was the 5 of swords with the swans: this is from a story where an evil stepmother turns her stepchildren into swans. If you don't know this the card does not make sense.

The book is called the Celtic Tarot by Julian de Burgh. I got it in a set together with the deck but it is also sold separately.

LixiPixi

You're absolutely right, WolfSpirit - that 5 of Swords would have been next on my list to ask about. It's definitely another one that doesn't follow the "general" description. Thank you for adding the info on that one!

I appreciate the book title as well. I'll have to check around and see if I can find it most definitely! Hoping over to Amazon now.... :D

Thanks again!

LP~

archer1

I also have this deck. It came with a book not a LWB , but a book that goes into detail....