The card on the bottom of the deck?

HonestPuck

I've read a few posts about how people while doing a reading will look at the card on the bottom of the deck. This sounds like a good idea, but could someone please explain to me what that card would generally mean?

-HonestPuck

HarleyQuinnX

It's sometimes called the "Shadow card" and it is generally used to get the general feel of the reading. I use it very rarely, so I probably should let someone who uses it more often tell you about it. :)

Fulgour

F R E E

I call it the "peek-a-boo" and allow it to mean anything
that comes to mind... it is like an extra view to ponder.

Tara2007

It just seemed the natural thing to do

Yes, it's the "Shadow Card"....I use it all the time. It just seemed very natural to me to look at that card one day some months back and I have come to rely on it and rarely read my cards without including it. It's kind of a lurking spirit to a reading...something that is important but not visible on the surface. Much like a rising sign in astrology....the shadow card is the soul of the reading, which gives much more insight to the meaning of actions and decisions, but it's not the catalyst for such happenings.

If you'd like I'll draw a 3 card reading for you - you can pick the topic - and I'll let you see how I use the shadow in my interpretation.

zannamarie

I, and some others, refer to it as the 'base' card. I often find it is a somewhat underlying basis, or theme to a reading. Often times it can represent the querent and how they are approaching the topic of the reading or their thoughts about that topic.

star-lover

the bottom card is the bottom line ie basis/purpose for the reading in the first place and what is the real deal about it all

Grizabella

I think it's whatever you want to call it and its use is whatever you want to make of it, to be perfectly honest. I think the answers you've gotten here show that to be true.

I tried using it for awhile but I didn't find it added all that much to my readings so I stopped doing it. I might use it now and then in the future if it seemed right at the time, though.

Acacia

I use the bottom card as something that we have overlooked, or something else to consider, in the reading. I'll pull it after having completed reading the spread, it often gives a whole new way to look at the previous cards, and gives the client a chance to consider something new.

6 Haunted Days

Seeing this thread kind of threw me! Just this last week I started looking at the bottom card on the deck and incorporating it into the spread. Just felt right, hadn't read anything about it!

ZenMusic

i use it.. it is usually very meaningful (as a summary, or alternative outcome)

but what i suggest.. is simply make a note of it in every reading..

and then see what it seems to tell you (if anything)