Help with the Thoth

a_shikhs

Ok this might sound a little silly but here it goes:

When I was newly introduced to tarot and to AT, I'd heard a LOT about the Thoth Tarot and I hated it the moment I laid my eyes on it. :p Maybe because I was too used to the RWS style decks. Anyways, a few months ago, I had gone out for coffee with a friend and she had got her Thoth along. She did a small reading for me which was quite accurate. Still I wasnt impressed with the Thoth.
That day itself, I asked her if I could go through her cards and the moment I started shuffling them, I felt this strong bolt of energy from them. I had never experienced that sort of thing before. I immediately drew out a few cards and was shocked at the accuracy and the frank message they gave me. They felt so right and perfect. I then decided that I needed to have this deck but couldnt get it anywhere in India. :( I waited for a few months and I would keep dreaming of the cards and keep checking out the cards on AT. Then suddenly, one fine day, a generous AT member gifted me this deck and I was overhelmed and very excited. I did loads of readings with it and was quite happy and content.

Its been a month since Ive used the Thoth, but suddenly Ive started dreaming of this deck and Crowley. I keep dreaming that im shuffling the Thoth and suddenly a person dressed in pitch black appears out of nowhere claiming that he is Crowley and urges me to use the deck more often. Now Im suddenly scared to even remove this deck from my drawer even though Im really attracted to it again. Dunno why. Any idea why do I dream of this deck? :confused:

gregory

I would suspect just because you did in the past find it scary. Crowley - for al the talk about him - was just a guy. I don't even think he was that evil. in any case, it was Frieda Harris who painted the images - so think of her. :D

If you want to use the deck - go ahead. And PM Lillie, who knows all there is to know about it, and uses no other. It has done her no harm !

archer1

I too was afraid of the deck for a while, but for some reason I kept drifting back to it. Read the Book of Thoth and the Book of the Law both by Crowley and also Milo Doquetts book on the Thoth. As you begin to understand that the man who designed the cards and the public opinion of the man are to very different subjects...you like me will use the cards more often...My readings for myself are quite accurate.

a_shikhs

Thank you gregory and archer for your replies. :) I guess im going to do a reading for myself with the Thoth Tarot now. That deck is screaming to me now. ;)

Sheri

I don't know if I would call it dreaming about it, but I was very obsessed with the Thoth once I got it. The readings were amazingly, and creepily accurate. I also felt a strong energy from the deck. I think I have figured out that for me, one of the obsessions was due to the rather alien look of the cards. My first deck was a RWS that I used for over 5 years exclusively. Then I got the Thoth after joining this forum and reading about it - I wanted to know what all the hubbub was about (yes, I was assimilated - resistance was futile :) ). At first I found the artwork disturbing - but strangely compelling. I believe it was my Thoth deck that made me an intuitive reader as it showed me there were different ways to interpret what the cards were "supposed" to mean. The only thing I have not liked about the cards is the bordering and keywords. They have never meant anything in readings I have done, and in fact, have done harm because when I mention the card comes up in a reading, the querent freaks out (if it's a negative one) and can't get the keyword out of their heads and there's no convincing them. For example, someone asking about their relationship and Failure keyword appears - it becomes burned into their heads. This is why I hate keywords.

So, I bought another large Thoth deck, and cut off all the borders, including the keywords. This is the deck that I use for reading for others. Maybe when I become a more skilled reader, I will be better able to convince my querents to disregard the negative keywords and I will be able to use my bordered deck for them. Until that happens though, the keywords and borders version is only for me.

Good luck with the deck, a_shikhs! It's a very powerful deck!

valeria :D

a_shikhs

Thanks valeria for replying. :) Infact I just did a reading with the Thoth for my mom. And I told my mom something that really shocked her as she hadnt told me about it earlier and was quite surprised that I could catch something like that in a deck of cards. Woohoo!!! :D This deck is highly intuitive and quite powerful too.

valeria said:
The only thing I have not liked about the cards is the bordering and keywords. They have never meant anything in readings I have done, and in fact, have done harm because when I mention the card comes up in a reading, the querent freaks out (if it's a negative one) and can't get the keyword out of their heads and there's no convincing them. For example, someone asking about their relationship and Failure keyword appears - it becomes burned into their heads. This is why I hate keywords.
Yeah, I too find the keywords quite distracting at times cause then you get biased by it. But Ive started ignoring them while reading. :)