Ironwing 8 of Spikes

Mi-Shell

January 2. 2007
My card of the day is the 8 of Spikes:
Here is what the book says:
When the shaman calls the spirits and uses precise timing to focus power, the smoking iron feathers on her costume transform into real feathers for magical flight. A caracara spirit blows fiery music into a bird bone flute, a gift of inspired, innovative communication. The caracara is a rare south western grassland relative of the falcons. It is famous for preying on rattlesnakes but usually eats carrion. Intelligent and curious, it has a wild but confiding presence, like an American Garuda, the mythical benevolent vulture spirit of Tibetan and South Asian mythology.
The shaman's songs and stories inspire the people and remind them who they are. A shaman knows the languages of animals, plants, and the earth itself, and acts as a translator for the people. She may speak to the spirits using her own secret language. She knows that to name is to call, and sometimes her visions can only be described in ways that are mysterious to others, yet compelling and unforgettable. She sees when the time is right for a swift flight of inspired words that linger like the memory of a bonfire.

Shamans in Siberia wear elaborate outfits; so called shamainc costumes with many iron implements hanging from it. The weight of these aids in tiring out the shaman while dancing and so foster an altered state of consciousness due to exhaustion.
The Caracara is a rather special bird to me because it was/ is the Medicine Guide / helper of one of my Native American teachers from the Apache tribe.
.... And then a Caracara I “met in the field in northern Mexico was strangely unafraid; observing our campsite and coming real close, displaying almost clown-like behaviour.
This last part of the description is almost too close to what I do on a daily basis for me to comment....
I do not use secret language but since I speak Inde’ and many of my chants and songs come out in Inde’ or lately in Ojibwa it may feel like that to a casual observer.
..... And then there is the Power of NAMING the PROBLEM!!!
If you name it you claim it as existing and real, = you acknowledge it, then you can change it!
This thought process is often ritualzed to help a client and the community.

Attachments

• CrestedCaracara 2.jpg
    CrestedCaracara 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 94
  • crested Caracara AT.jpg
    crested Caracara AT.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Ironwing 8 of Spikes.jpg
    Ironwing 8 of Spikes.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 97

Mi-Shell

Here now my thoughts to the card:
Naturaly the 8 0f Spikes card powerfully evokes the Spirit of the Caracara in me.
To show his fiery and bold nature as a guide and guardian I painted 8 spots on his crown red.
To me the feathers are not heavy iron, they are pure Spirit; 8 of them , a journey into infinity....
The flute is the one my good friend L. plays to lure us all into another world, the world of the 8 feathers. The fire of creativity emerges from the flute - tunes forever new, never the same sequence of notes repeated, never the same scenes, pictures, visions twice, behind my eyes when I hear the sound...
There is no haste. - As a matter of fact time slows down, the whole
Time-space continuum ceases to exist, there is only the journey into trance with the bird as the guide....

Mi-Shell

Setting the cards to music

Last Tuesday I used the 8 of Spikes, (the text as above and my thoughts to it) + a picture with the drum group I lead in a meditation exercise.. I read the text and then we started first with the Native American flute, (my friend l. played!) then percussion, clappers,claves, rattles and drums and created the soundscape for the card.

Today we did the same with the Madrone of Blades and the Shaman of Bells. We had flutes, claves, tambourines, rattles and all kinds of bells and several singing bowls going for about 20 minutes. And for some of it I danced....
The Spirit Guides came out of the cards and danced with me...
everyone "saw" and felt them....