Where do you keep your deck & companion book collection?

caridwen

Here are my questions:

1. Approximately how many decks are in YOUR collection?

I don't know, around 20.

2. Do you keep each deck in its original box/packaging, or a bag, or (Gasp!) rubber-banded together?

I'm going to get kicked out of here for saying this but my decks are all over the place. I discovered a couple of RWS cards in my duvet the other day. I'm not usually messy, well, that depends:embarrassed: but I'm a bit lackadaisical with my tarot decks for some reason, even the out of print ones

3. Where do you put the decks (in a drawer, on a shelf, in a box, under the bed, in a special piece of furniture?)

Depends where I'm using them or used them last before. You may walk into my sitting room and find a Celtic Cross on the rug or trip over some runes if you're not careful. Sometimes I wander around the spread for a while or keep it there for a couple of days. There are some that I use frequently or am just using because they are new and they are usually kept in my bedside cabinet. I have a load stuffed in a chest of drawers and some in a filing cabinet in my desk.

4. Where do you keep all the books that came with each deck, anywhere from LWBs to large companion books (if you don't keep each deck & book in its original box)?

I don't usually get the decks with books, in fact, apart from the Druidcraft I have no tarot books whatsoever. I have a couple of rune books though.

*ducks and runs

Teheuti

I have over 800 decks and keep them on book shelves so I can refer to them easily. I keep most of them in their original boxes except for the decks that I use regularly which are in bags and a few in nice boxes.

When I lived in a tiny house I built floor-to-ceiling shelves out of 1x4 lumber that fit in the space behind my bedroom door. I varied the space between shelves to fit the various heights of decks. Now I have a couple of walls of bookshelves and I cut the 1x4 bookcase in half to fit on either side of a window above a chest-high bookcase. My deck-size boxes fit in the upper, narrow shelves and my books and large decks fit in the regular shelves. I don't use those big cardboard packages (but I do store them) because it makes it harder to get at the contents. Those decks are loose so I either put them in plasticine envelopes (the kind they use for comicbooks but smaller) or in those cheap see-through bags (so I can identify them). I know someone who makes cardboard boxes for his decks.

The ideal situation for me would be glass cases so I could see everything but wouldn't have to think about dust.

Mary

RubyV

caridwen said:
Depends where I'm using them or used them last before. You may walk into my sitting room and find a Celtic Cross on the rug or trip over some runes if you're not careful. Sometimes I wander around the spread for a while or keep it there for a couple of days.

I will take a pic with a digital camera for situatuions like this. saves my decks from puppy and toddler ruin. :)

Queen of Pentacle

This is a good question

Hello AprilFool

This is a good question.
I have about 68 tarot deck and 12 oracles... And they keep coming.
Most of them are in their original cardoard boxes.... except for those coming in kit. For them, I have made myself cardboard box, printed and decorated... And often I trew away the big bulgy kit boxes, unless they-re special or something (wich is not often the case)

The boxed decks are piled or (the most beloved ones) displayed on three bookcase shelves, in my office.
The kit's books I like (as Baba's) I keep close with my other tarot book.
Some other I gave or threw away.

The deck I'm not too found off and some companion books had been placed in our NY summer house... Don't ask me why.

So as you see, room is becoming an issue.

Alta

I had them all organized, I even had computer, alphabetized lists.

Yeah, right. Well, sometime in the future I hope to get things in hand again. Right now my system is closer to caridwen's than anyone else's so far. :(

They are on shelves, in storage boxes, on things, under things, in boxes, or bags or held together with cloth-covered rubber bands. :rolleyes:

I am not actually pleased with myself, but.... there it is.

Not even sure how many I have, I think around 180 counting oracles.

Debra

I've sold some decks and am back to a couple of dozen. I keep them in two rectangular baskets on a nearby shelf, each in a bag (mostly from TarotTotes yay!) and inside its little cardboard box if it came with one, or held together with a ponytail scrunchy if there was no little box (doesn't damage the deck at all). I labelled each bag with a round cardboard tag w/ a metal edge--the kind you get to label keys--tied to the drawstring; works great and looks nice!

All the LWBs and extra cards are stored in a small index-card sized box on the shelf, which makes it easier to get the decks in and out of those otherwise too-tight cardboard boxes. Books are on the same shelf and I stash the larger cardboard boxes behind the books--I hate those things.

One basket holds the decks I read with and the other holds the ones I seem to be keeping despite the fact that I don't read them. My first deck, a RWS I've had since yikes! 1971, is in a wooden box wrapped with the remaining shreds of a black and blue scarf made for me by a friend yikes! 30 years ago.

I've also got the Oracle of the Radiant Sun in an inexpensive white organza bag and I keep it by the bed, draw a card every day, and leave it face up in the bag---cat proof (sorta) but still visible.

Ok, this is on a good day. On a regular day, they're all over the place.

Scion

A few hundred. :bugeyed: Eek. How did that happen?

My active working decks are each bagged in a woven metal casket thing. All companions are shelved with my Tarot books and the less active decks are again bagged and organized in a purpose-bought cabinet/dresser. I lucked out and found this small fruitwood sideboard in an auction upstate a few years back; the drawers are fairly shallow (about a deck high :thumbsup:), but the bottoms are actual planks thence incredibly sturdy. Weight has been a problem in the past, but I'm an passionate reader/researcher so storing printed material attractively is something of an obsession. Set packaging/boxes tend to get stored in my closet-of-doom in case of future trading of unwanteds.

Most important thing to me with decks (and books, actually) is that I can GET to all of them when I want to reference something quickly. I do think of the decks as a part of my library and it's a working library... I expect it to earn its keep. :D

Scion

SunChariot

AprilFool said:
Here are my questions:

2. Do you keep each deck in its original box/packaging, or a bag, or (Gasp!) rubber-banded together?
3. Where do you put the decks (in a drawer, on a shelf, in a box, under the bed, in a special piece of furniture?)
4. Where do you keep all the books that came with each deck, anywhere from LWBs to large companion books (if you don't keep each deck & book in its original box)?

Ok:grin:

1. I have exactly 33, 21 Tarots and 12 Oracles. No wait, that's not right. LOL I am in the process of trading one, so I sent out one Tarot and did not yet receive the new one. So that is 32 decks now, until any day now when the 33rd shows up. LOL

2. No, I don't save all my boxes at all. I save a few here and there just in case I might want to trade a deck, but usually the tradee ends up with a different box from the one the deck came it, whatever I have around that fits. :grin:

3. My decks are all in pouches that I have collected and found beautiful, with lilac petals inside the pouches as well, in a drawer with a pretty gold and white spreadsheet covering the bottom. And I store my scented candles in the drawer too for good measure, I like things that smell nice.:grin:

4. My books are in an old little bookshelf that I have that my grandfather maid when he was young. It has sentimental value. One shelf has Tarot/Oracle books, the second has Rune/pendulum/I-Ching books, the Faery books are on top...and the bottom shelf is bigger so it houses whatever is too big to git on the other shelves.

Let's see, how many books do I have...(of course not including LWBs)...

1)Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot, by Rachel Pollack
2)Tarot for Self-Discovery, by Nina Lee Braden
3) The Goddess Tarot Workbook, by Kris Waldherr
4) Complete Book of Tarot Spreads, by Evelin Burger and Johannes Fiebig
6)The Gendron Tarot, by Melanie Gendron
7)The I Ching-The Book of Changed, translated by James Legge
8) The Haindl Tarot-The Minor Arcana, by Rachel Pollack
9) The Haindl Tarot-The Major Arcana, by Rachel Pollack
10) Tarot for Your Self-a Workbook for Personal Transformation, by Mary K. Greer
11) The Lover’s Path Tarot, by Kris Waldherr
12) Tarot Shadow Work, Using the Dark Symbols to Heal, by Christine Jette
13) A Magical Course in Tarot, by Michelle Morgan
14) Understanding the Tarot Court, bu Mary K. Greer and Tom Little
15) The Wheel of Change Tarot, by Alexandra Genetti
16) The Ancestral Path Tarot, by Tracy Hoover
17) The Book of Thoth (Egyptian Tarot, by Aleister Crowley
18) The Crowley Tarot-the Handbook to the Cards, by Aaron-Hajo Banzhaf
19) Tarot and Individuation-Correspondences with Cabala and Alchemy, by Dr. Irene Gad.
20) The Forest of Souls, by Rachel Pollack
21) Good Faeries/Bad Faeries, by Brian Froud
22) The Faeries Oracle, working with the Faeries to find insight, wisdom and joy, by Brian Froud, text by Jessica Macbeth
23) Faeries, by Brian Froud
24) The True Power of Water, by Masaru Emoto
25) Tarot in the Spirit of Zen—The Game of Life by Osho
26) 360 Degrees Of Wisdom by Lynda Hill (book for Sabian Oracle
27) The Rohrig Tarot Book
28) Angels 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing with the
29) Angels by Doreen Virtue
30) The Connecting with Your Angels Kit by Doreen Virtue
31) Healing with the Angels: How the Angels Can Assist You in Every Area of Your Life (the book)

ok, guess that makes 31. LOL

Bar

a_shikhs

AprilFool said:
At the moment I have around 21 tarot decks and 14 oracle decks. And there are 13 more decks coming my way as a birthday gift from HearthCricket. :D :* :*

Half my decks are in their original boxes and half of them are in bags specially made for them. I prefer keeping decks in bags as it makes them feel more personal. Weird thinking, I know. ;)

Right now all my decks are in a drawer in my cupboard. I do plan to buy a chest to put all my decks into, but after my exams.

All the books and the LWBs are in my bookcase which has a special tarot and occult section, which is now completely overflowing. :D

ilweran

gregory said:
and another called "do you list"

I'm so glad so many other people keep databases of their collections and it's not just me being obsessive :)

Actually I'm glad so many people have more decks than me. It makes my collection look more reasonable to my family :D