Mythic tarot - different editions and card backs?

Galatea

I am interested in purchasing the Mythic Tarot but after doing some research online I have found that different editions seem to be outthere, and that these editions have different cardbacks. I was hoping that you brilliant ATers could help me get these editions sorted out so I know which one to get.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but there seems to be a first edition published by Llewellyn in 1986, and those cards seem to have a black card back design with a reversible golden or yellow border. This edition has a hardback book to accompany the deck.

The deck then seems to be published in a later edition, with black card backs that have the cup, wand, sword and pentagram in the center, non-reversible. Published by Simon and Schuster? This edition was available and book and kit with spread cloth, as a separate book and separate deck, and the deck was paperback.

And then there is the latest edition with the Empress on the box that I have not seen any scans of, I read somewhere that the card backs were purple? Do they have the same cup, wand, sword, pentacle design?

I would be so happy if you could help me get this straight!

sapienza

Galatea said:
And then there is the latest edition with the Empress on the box that I have not seen any scans of, I read somewhere that the card backs were purple? Do they have the same cup, wand, sword, pentacle design?

I would be so happy if you could help me get this straight!

Hi there, I was unaware of the first edition by Llewellyn you were talking about but I have both the other two. The black version and a purple one. The latest one with the Empress on the box does (well, it did when I bought it), have cards with purple backs and they do have the same cup, wand, sword, pentacle design as the earlier black backed edition.

Hope that helps.

raeanne

Hi all,
The edition I have of the Myth deck is the one with the black back with the Wand, Cup, Sword, and Pentacle in gold print on them. The book that came with the set was a very poor quality paperback. The first time I opened the book I could feel it starting to fall apart. The pages started falling out before I could read more than a few pages. I hope the newer edition has a better quality book!

yaraluna

-quick break befre coworkers get here--:)

i have the mythic deck. it was my first tarot deck and i love it dearly. this is he one i have http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic/ with black backs and hardcover bound book.

i didn't know there were others.

yara

mdawn

I have the "set" with the cards (black backs), book and cloth. I ran into the same problem with the book as raeanne. After I opened the book a couple of times the cover fell off completely, so I duct-taped the spine and stuck the cover back on, so far so good. :) I enjoy my cards and like the spread cloth.

I later came across The Mythic Tarot Workbook. It supplies pictures that you can color in yourself, suggests different writing and fantasy excercises, gives quick meanings, has multiple spreads (which before I found this site was so helpful - I don't always do well with the Celtic Cross), a section about the cards and how they correspond to astrology, etc... I have referred to the workbook quite a bit over the years.

elvenstar

I have a set with book and spread cloth (not very nice), with the empress on the box. The cards have dark blue/purple backs but no cups etc, just a greek pattern (meandros) border going around. It's quite nice and reversable if you care for that sort of thing. The book is paperback, but not bad quality, or at least mine hasn't fallen apart.

Galatea

How interesting, Sapienza and elvenstar, you seem to have the latest edition with the Empress on the box, right? How come Sapienza´s backs are purple with the cup and wand etc design, and elvenstar´s deck has blue/purple backs with a reversible border?

Are your copies published by different publishers?

Which edition is to prefer anyway, the old one with black backs and pictorial design, or the new one?

For those of you who have the backs with a reversible Greek border, how do you like it?

Oh, and I don´t know if there ever was a first edition published by Llewellyn, but when I looked up this deck at www.learntarot.com I got the impression there had been such a deck, but maybe I mistaked the year of copyright for the year of publication. Is the latest edition published by Llewellyn?

Little Hare

i have the same deck as elvenstar. I didn't realise there was so many editions. the book and cloth that came with it i gave away, as i really didn't click with the book. i'd be interested in seeing the different card backs tho

elvenstar

Galatea said:
How interesting, Sapienza and elvenstar, you seem to have the latest edition with the Empress on the box, right?
I think I have the latest edition, unfortunately I've thrown away the box, but the book says Rider Books and Random House 2001 edition. It's paperback but seems to be better quality than previous versions. I actually quite like the book, it's a personal thing I guess. Even if you don't care for the psychological approach, the background to the myths etc. is useful even if you're familiar with greek myths already.

How come Sapienza´s backs are purple with the cup and wand etc design, and elvenstar´s deck has blue/purple backs with a reversible border?
not sure, but I did notice for the first time that there are little cups and things inside the border design.

Are your copies published by different publishers?

Which edition is to prefer anyway, the old one with black backs and pictorial design, or the new one?

For those of you who have the backs with a reversible Greek border, how do you like it?
well have seen the other one only in scans here in AT but definitely like mine better :D The border design is great, very discrete and fitting.

Oh, and I don´t know if there ever was a first edition published by Llewellyn, but when I looked up this deck at www.learntarot.com I got the impression there had been such a deck, but maybe I mistaked the year of copyright for the year of publication. Is the latest edition published by Llewellyn?
I think not. But my book cover and back design looks exactly like the one on this site, except it's dark blue (never thought of it as purple before) rather than black. I think they still got the same set in a shop near me, I can check the publisher and ISBN for you on Monday if you like? It'll give me an excuse to go in :p

Mistteak

Can we post photos of your decks?

As there is still some confusion .. I have a deck that says 1986, tricia newell and purple back .. I will post photos tomorrow .. I also think I have a black backed deck also .. I will dig it out and take photos

someone said that the cards were different?? that they changed some of the pics?? anyone know about this