Just bought the Navigators of the Mystic SEA

Little Baron

I had looked at this deck before. Saw it second-hand and passed up on it because of my dislike of borders and keywords.

But the art did excite me, on every time I went back and looked at it.

And my good friend Moonbow gave a heart-felt recommendation towards these navigators, thinking I would like them.

So last night, I am in London. My boss let me go early and my friend called to say that she had to stay at work a bit later; meaning I had some time on my hands before meeting her.

Perfect opportunity to go shopping.

So I went to Mysteries in Covent Garden.

I think that I have mentioned this before, but there is a lady in there that is such a great help. When I pop in, I always end up chatting to her for absolutely ages and she gets the decks out on the counter for us to look through. This time, we spread out the 'Old English', 'Hermetic', 'Via' and the 'Navigators'. Chatted about the Victorian Romantic and she looked through the cards I had designed in the Tarot Deck Creation board. I showed her the thread with sites that showed all decks and she was fascinated. So if you do join and read this 'Mysteries Lady', I hope you enjoy Aeclectic Tarot!

So, anyways. We were looking through this deck and she said she had spent the day with it. She said it was like being taken into another world. And I could see what she meant. It really was very entrancing, on what was probably my third look.

So after spending close to 1 and a half hours in the shop, I snapped up this deck and the accompanying book. Well, after being their so long, it would be rude to walk out empty handed, hehe.

But today, I will be floating through this dreamscape.

Thanks Moonbow, for turning my head to this deck. Look forward to see what anyone else thinks about it. I intend to not get to deep at first. I had made my own meanings for minors when using other decks, but here, I will go with what was intended, I think. Otherwise, it would do it an injustice.

Best, LB

Little Baron

My only critisism is that I am finding some of the cards hard to understand. For such a loarge book, it is a bit flimsy on giving interpretations for divination. The '5 of Cups', for example, is a tough one for me to get my head around. I am not sure which, if any, tradition it is following. And if it is not, I am still not understanding what it is trying to actually say.

LB

Papageno

LittleBuddha said:
My only critisism is that I am finding some of the cards hard to understand. For such a loarge book, it is a bit flimsy on giving interpretations for divination. The '5 of Cups', for example, is a tough one for me to get my head around. I am not sure which, if any, tradition it is following. And if it is not, I am still not understanding what it is trying to actually say.

LB

it's a beautiful deck. I don't have the "real" book only the stupid LWB which is almost useless, but that's ok. I see that card as the title suggests, dissipation. dissipation of dreams and schemes. dissipation of power. insufficient skill and ability. getting tangled in the web you created as it all falls apart. perhaps you were not yet worthy to fulfill those ambitions or how to nurture them, they have returned to their Sea waiting to be re-born.

Formicida

I like this deck too, though the book is a bit "out there" for me. I'm never quite sure what it's trying to say. Nonetheless, the deck has always given me amazing readings. It seems to have an extraordinary ability to cut to the root of things.

Have you contemplated cutting off the borders? I have, a little bit, but probably won't. I don't feel that I know the system well enough yet, and the cards would be shockingly tiny. But I'd still be curious to see scans.

MeeWah

The surrealistic artwork appeals, & I like it very much. Not read the book, so no opinion on it.

Its colours & feel remind me of Tarot of the Witches by Fergus Hall, but every card contains more imagery than the Tarot of the Witches (not a criticism of Fergus Hall's deck). I thought the deck's name was Navigators of the Purple Sea--a reference to the crown chakra. (Depending on the reference source, purple associated with the crown chakra or the third eye.) & even after acquiring this deck, oft get the name wrong.

Can understand that keywords or captions on cards may be distracting, but I do not really notice them since I tend to focus on imagery.

Does not strike as based on the logical per se, but more of the intuitive, the subconscious to the psychological. It also strikes as lending itself to shadow work because of its different imagery--the dream-like & otherworldly.

For instance, its Emperor quite different from the frequently depicted seated figure; reminds me of the traditional Strength (RWS & similar). In fact, I sometimes 'see' the former as if superimposed on the latter.

If the interest in developing the intuitive faculties, I highly recommend Navigators of the Mystic SEA. & in my view, an excellent choice!

Little Baron

Papageno said:
it's a beautiful deck. I don't have the "real" book only the stupid LWB which is almost useless, but that's ok. I see that card as the title suggests, dissipation. dissipation of dreams and schemes. dissipation of power. insufficient skill and ability. getting tangled in the web you created as it all falls apart. perhaps you were not yet worthy to fulfill those ambitions or how to nurture them, they have returned to their Sea waiting to be re-born.

Thanks Papa [I hope you don't mind me calling you that]

There seems to be many books like this. That give a whole load of information about this, that and the other, but never cut to what you actually want to know - like how to read it. And when they do, the meanings are quite difficult to grab a stable hold of. In part, they are a little weak and hard to pull any 'real' and practical advice from.

But I like your feelings about that card very much. I started a thread a little earlier in the 'study' section, outlining my thoughts, if you are interested.

Thanks

LB

Little Baron

Formicida said:
I like this deck too, though the book is a bit "out there" for me. I'm never quite sure what it's trying to say. Nonetheless, the deck has always given me amazing readings. It seems to have an extraordinary ability to cut to the root of things.

Have you contemplated cutting off the borders? I have, a little bit, but probably won't. I don't feel that I know the system well enough yet, and the cards would be shockingly tiny. But I'd still be curious to see scans.

Yes, I agree about the book. Often confuses me more than if I just go with my own flow.

I did think about the border-cut. But like the 'Tarot of the Ages', the cards would be rediculously small. And like you, right now, I don't think I would be able to identify them all straight away.

Why-oh-why with paintings this beautiful, do they produce them so bloody small? And with big white borders. What kind of idiot makes these decisions?

LB

Little Baron

MeeWah said:
If the interest in developing the intuitive faculties, I highly recommend Navigators of the Mystic SEA. & in my view, an excellent choice!

I think, of late, I have been very sensitive to colour. This is another such deck, which I can feel through it's palette, if that makes sense. I love the linear feel, but it is the warmth of colouring that really grabbed me when I was looking through it in the shop.

All in all, like the woman that sold it to me said, it is like travelling through another world. And in that, it excites me. I just wish that the author had produced a better map to aid travel.

Maybe I will just have to compile my own, with all the right turnings and points of interest.

LB

MeeWah

LittleBuddha said:
I think, of late, I have been very sensitive to colour. This is another such deck, which I can feel through it's palette, if that makes sense. I love the linear feel, but it is the warmth of colouring that really grabbed me when I was looking through it in the shop.

Relate to feeling colours, so your comment makes sense to me. Do not, however, see linear as amongst the deck qualities--unless I misunderstand the description?

LittleBuddha said:
All in all, like the woman that sold it to me said, it is like travelling through another world. And in that, it excites me....

Yes, indeedy! The most exciting of this deck is that prospect of travelling through another world or other worlds--though see it more as travelling *into* the unknown (such as that of the individual psyche) or the unseen realms.

LittleBuddha said:
...I just wish that the author had produced a better map to aid travel.

Maybe I will just have to compile my own, with all the right turnings and points of interest.

Somewhat resistant to reading Tarot books except for certain books, your comment inspires me to try reading the book :) & if I do, shall share what I think of it.

lunakasha

I am a huge fan of the Navigators.....there is nothing else quite like it, IMO. And it is definitely like stepping into another world or reality.....strange yet beautiful shapes and creatures, in every color imaginable! And lots of detail on each card, I notice something new every time I look at them.

I have the large book, and I agree with the consensus here: useless.

The cards, on the other hand, have been excellent to read with, without opening the book. I find that the imagery speaks volumes, and if you are open to that style of reading (mostly intuitive, giving some attention to the keyword and traditional meaning) you might find this deck surprisingly easy and fun to work with.

I am glad you are enjoying it, LB....it is one of my favorites.

:) Luna