Steps To The Crown ~ by Arthur Edward Waite

Elven

I picked up this beatiful little book today - its very old -It has a silky material cover in teal green - like a water taffeta and the title is embossed into the cover. Its a Rider book.

It is wonderful! It is full of wordly quotes for its time ... but thats the problem ... I dont know anything about this book as there is no information about the printing date etc ...

There is a mention of previous books though ...
The Life of Louis Claude De Saint-Martin.
The Doctrine and the Literature of the Kabalah.
A Book of Vision & Mystery.
Strange Houses of Sleep.
Studies in Mysticism and Certain Aspects of the Secret Tradition.
The Hidden Church of the Holy Grail.

The book itself has seem better days, and has been a nutritional supplement for some small creature ;) ... The pages are browned, but the paper is also very brittle ... they almost feel like cardboard, they are very thick - one page has 'snapped' its so old ... some pages havent been 'cut' and so those pages fld back into the spine.

Anyone know anything about these books and how old they maybe ... or where I can find some information on them ...

These are the chapter titles in the book:

Part One: The fashions of This World
1. Counsels of Caiaphas
2. Spirits in Rebellion

Part Two: Thresholds of Many Sactuaries
1. Man and Nature
2. Aids to Mortality
3. If Love be Ours
4. Substitutes of the True Knowledge
5. Letters of The Word

Part 3: Shadows of the Secret Light.
1. Lesser Aids to Refection
2. Mysteries of Being
3. Seasons of Sorrow
4. Precints of the Temple
5. Words of Understanding

Part 4: Consolations of the Greater Law
1. Prospects of the Heights
2. De Rebus Majoribus
3. Gates of Enterance
4. The Path of Union

zannamarie

Elven said:
The book itself has seem better days, and has been a nutritional supplement for some small creature ;)
I love that description!

I did a quick search on 'Counsels of Caiaphas' and it brought up this Steps to the Crown book on Amazon. The author is listed as Arthur Edward Waite. It says, "1907. Little-known work by the famous Occultist. " and then lists the sections as you did.

Apparently a modern day publisher, Kessinger Publishing, has done some reprints because I also found another link describing the same book but with Kessinger, not Rider, as the publisher and it listing 236 pages rather than 220 page for the first one with 'unknown binding'.

Based upon your description of the condition, you might have one of the originals. Cool!

Elven

Oh wow zannamarie - you're a gem - thankyou for the searches!! :D

This is an original - I cant believe it!! How cool is that!! They knew how to make books then - the cover is really special. I notice it also has a crown embossed into the cover.

I'll try and do a few more searches tonight.

jmd

Kessinger does photographic reprints of out-of-copyright books, mainly related to Freemasonry.

It's a little gem for a collector that you have found, Elven!

Elven

Thankyou jmd :) Im really happy this little book came to me - I found this free email book on the net ...

beautifully written
©1914
by Joseph Fort Newton, Litt. D.
GRAND LODGE OF IOWA
CHAPTER 4
The Secret Doctrine
The entire page can be found here, though there is more - this is only a page ..

http://www.glnb.ca/books/Blders06.html

just a piece about Waite ...
Joseph Fort Newton said:
The Secret Doctrine.
II

Perhaps the greatest student in this field of esoteric teaching and method, certainly the greatest now living is Arthur Edward Waite, to whom it is a pleasure to pay tribute. By nature a symbolist, it not a sacramentalist, be found in such studies a task for which he was almost ideally fitted by temperament, training, and genius. Engaged in business, but not absorbed by it, years of quiet, leisurely toil have made him master of the vast literature and lore of his subject, to the study of which he brought a religious nature, the accuracy and skill of a scholar, a sureness and delicacy of insight at once sympathetic and critical, the soul of a poet, and a patience as untiring as it is rewarding; qualities rare indeed, and still more rarely blended. Prolific but seldom prolix, he writes with grace, ease, and lucidity, albeit in a style often opulent, and touched at times with lights and jewels from old alchemists antique liturgies, remote and haunting romance secret orders of initiation, and other recondite sources not easily traced. Much learning and many kinds of wisdom are in his pages, and withal an air of serenity, of tolerance; and if he is of those who turn down another street when miracles are preformed in the neighborhood, it is because, having found the inner truth, he asks for no sign.

Always he writes in the conviction that all great subjects bring us back to the one subject which is alone great, and that scholarly criticisms, folk-lore, and deep philosophy are little less than useless if they fall short of directing us to our true end B the attainment of that living Truth which is about us everywhere. He conceives of our mortal life as one eternal Quest of that living Truth, taking many phases and forms, yet ever at heart the same aspiration, to trace which he has made it his labor and joy to essay. Through all his pages he is following out the tradition of this Quest, in its myriad aspects, especially since the Christian era, disfigured though it has been at times by superstition, and distorted at others by bigotry, but still, in what guise soever, containing as its secret the meaning of the life of man from his birth to his reunion with God who is his Goal. And the result is a series of volumes noble in form, united in aim, unique in wealth of revealing beauty, and of unequalled worth.[5]

Beginning as far back as 1886, Waite issued his study of the Mysteries of Magic, a digest of the writings of Eliphas Levi, to whom Albert Pike was more indebted than he let us know. Then followed the Real History of the Rosicrucians, which traces, as far as any mortal may trace, the thread of fact whereon is strung the romance of a fraternity the very existence of which has been doubted and denied by turns. Like all his work, it bears the impress of knowledge from the actual sources, betraying his extraordinary learning and his exceptional experience in this kind of inquiry. Of the Quest in its distinctively Christian aspect, he has written in The Hidden Church of the Holy Graal; a work of rare beauty, of bewildering richness, written in a style which, partaking of the quality of the story told, is not at all after the manner of these days. But the Graal Legend is only one aspect of the old-world sacred Quest, uniting the symbols of chivalry with Christian faith. Masonry is another; and no one may ever hope to write of The Secret Tradition in Masonry with more insight and charm, or a touch more sure and revealing, than this gracious student for whom Masonry perpetuates the instituted Mysteries of antiquity, with much else derived from innumerable store-houses of treasure. His last work is a survey of The Secret Doctrine in Israel, being a study of the Zohar,[6] or Hebrew A Book of Splendor," a feat for which. no Hebrew scholar has had the heart. This Bible of Kabbalism is indeed so confused and confusing that only a golden dustman" would have had the patience to sift out Its gems from the mountain of dross, and attempt to reduce its wide-weltering chaos to order. Even Waite, with all his gift of research and narration, finds little more than gleams of dawn in a dim forest, brilliant vapors, and glints that tell by their very perversity and strangeness.

[5] Some there are who think that much of the best work of Mr. Waite is in his Poetry, of which there are two volumes, A Book of Mystery and Vision, and Strange Houses of Sleep. There one meets a fine spirit, alive to the glory of the world and all that charms the soul and sense of man, yet seeing past these; rich and significant thought so closely wedded to emotion that each seems either. Other books not to be omitted are his slender volume of aphorisms, Steps to the Crown, his Life of Saint-Martin and his Studies in Mysticism; for what he touches he adorns.)

Blessings Elven x

Elven

As far as I can estimate, this book was published in 1906.
I was never aware of just how many books he had written ... 'Steps to The Crown' was published by Rider then 4 years before the 'Key To The Tarot'.

I would like to do some bibliomancy readings from this book ... but Im almost too scared to open it though, its so fragile ... and I dont want to ruin it at all.

I cannot find another reference to the book anywhere on the net ... nor listings with pictures :( Maybe I should write to someone?

Blessings Elven x

kwaw

Elven said:
Thankyou jmd :) Im really happy this little book came to me - I found this free email book on the net ...

Blders06.html

just a piece about Waite ...

Blessings Elven x

What a great little tribute to Waite, nice to see a positive view when so many now as then just seem to denigrate him all the time.

There is a reference to UK first editions here:
http://www.booksellerworld.com/ae-waite.htm

STEPS TO THE CROWN. Foolscap 8vo, buckram, 2s. 6d. net.

"Mr. Waite has presented his philosophy of life in a series of aphorisms. The author of this volume is well known as one of the best living authorities on the history of mysticism, and the point of view here maintained is that of an initiate. Man's highest destiny lies--as St. Augustine taught many centuries ago--in his ultimate union with the Divine Nature. There are several hundreds of aphorisms in this slender volume, all of them terse and pregnant."--The Tribune

Says an advert in the first edition of his The Hidden Church of the Holy Grail.

verso.jpg

Kwaw

Elven

Hi kwaw!

Thankyou so much for the links ... the first one from booksellers I had a look at while doing some research - thats when I noticed just how many books Waite had written - so many ... and the information I am seeing regarding him is very respectable ... its the same feeling I get when reading the book ... theres this very 'gentle, soft, compassionate' vibration - I never saw him in this light, but have had a huge change of opinion after looking through the book - its hard not to read it and 'feel' differently - even though the text was written so long ago.

I have save the second link - to add to the information I am collecting on whats been written about the 'Steps to The Crown'.

I wonder why I have the book - thats because I believe that nothing is by 'chance' ... I will do a reading over the book tonight when I am feeling a little more settled to see if I can gain some insight...

Thankyou for your input!!
Blessings Elven x

Elven

I went back to the shop today, but very late in the afternoon ... and what happens ... I get told there are two boxes of books more that havent been shelved, and he has to close early, to come back tomorrow :bugeyed:
There was one book there by Levi - and there is a double volume of texts - 'The Secret Doctrines' by Blavatsky (?sp) .. it looks very interesting indeed - so should there be any authors I should keep an eye out for during my book rumble tomorrow :p ...

Blessings Elven x

Elven

Well I spent another day in lots of book shops - now my eyes have gone funny looking at book spines LOL!! :p
But i did find another Rider book - but I need to look up the title - as I had it put on hold for me ...
and another book which I think is from Adam McLean - The Magic Calender - 1979 ... I wondered if that was 'our' Adam McLean?

Then in the corner - all scrunched up - I found another little book of quotes called "A Quiet Resting Place" .. it is leather bound, but damaged :( - but the book will be great for bibliomancy readings.

Blessings Elven x