Victorian Romantic Page of Swords

Little Baron

Now, who was that guy in 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'? The younger son. The one that visited Narnia, joined Lucy there and then pretended that he had not, when back on the other side of the wardrobe. I can't remember his name.

But looking at this page's face, I am reminded of him. I don't trust him, completely. He looks like he is out for himself. He might just tell a few porkies, if the mood takes him. Or gain your trust and unleash that sword, embarrassing you in public; making fun of you infront of others.

When I was a kid, I used to watch soaps. I watched the American ones and the Australian ones. And there always seemed to be a guy like this in them. In Sons and Daughters, it was Wayne. And there was one like him in Dynasty - Adam, I think he was called. They were never quite up to the standard of 'the bitch', but they meddled and pulled a stroke every so often to get their way or get their own back.

This guy doen't look silly. Not in the slightest. He looks astute. And I reckon he is probably quite intelligent. He knows the right words to say and probably sums up a lot of stuff by thinking a little bit overtime. His rank in the court leads me to believe that maybe his thoughts and words are not too mature, however. Sometimes, the joke might be on him, when he foolishly jumps in and pulls out that sword too quickly or without the back up of experience.

I like the background of this card. There is a castle about 5mins from my house, and it looks very much like that one.

Interested in your thoughts. I have not read the book definition yet.

LB

EarthAngel2911

Hi LB! Thanks for your insights on this card! Based on what Karen wrote in the companion book, you seem right on with what they were trying to convey with this card.

I was really excited when I saw this study group, so I thought I would jump right in. :) Unfortunately, this card really doesn't do much for me; not too many insights come to my mind... but I just noticed a few things. The first thought that came to my mind when I saw this card, interestingly enough, is that the "sword" he's holding looks more like a wooden rifle that people twirl in marching bands. :) (Not sure if they have those where you live.)

The lion on his chest is interesting as I usually associate the lion with strength, which I usually associate with wands, but it's his stance that gives him the look of the Page of Swords. He appears deep in thought, and the way his legs *appear* to be crossed, gives the appearance of someone who is courageously venturing out with his thoughts but still isn't very confident.

LittleBuddha said:
His rank in the court leads me to believe that maybe his thoughts and words are not too mature, however. Sometimes, the joke might be on him, when he foolishly jumps in and pulls out that sword too quickly or without the back up of experience.
This comment made me think of my 5-year old! :) When he talks about something that he's really excited about, he'll speak very confidently as if he's an expert on the subject. Of course, many times his facts are wrong since he just doesn't have all the information he needs (you know, 'cause he's only 5!), but if you try to correct him, he's sure that he's right and you're wrong! lol Maybe that could be the Page of Swords reversed?

Well, that's just my 2 cents on the subject. :)

Blessings,
Karen

Reverie

Victorian Romantic, Page of Swords

Interesting thoughts...

This page clearly seems determined, set on a mission, yet not sure how to proceed. He's headed on a journey somewhere, he's left the comfort of his castle, no longer walking conventionally along the path behind him, he's stepping into the woods, into unknown areas. But he's so insecure, so new to this, maybe he's never left the walls of the castle, never explored the wilderness. He seems like the kind of kid who likes to go ahead of himself, to challenge himself, probably overly confident in what he thinks he can do-- and then once he gets started on it, he realizes he isn't quite sure how to proceed, as in this situation.

Yet I find him rather innocent. His words are sharp, but he doesn't mean to ridicule anyone.
He's definitely the mature, thoughtful kid; his hair is even gray!

Jewel

To me this page seems very alert, and like he is carefully listening to sounds in his environment. He is curious, and alert. I see him as naturally a quiet observant person, but he misses very little of what is going on, and is prepare to act should he have to (weapon in hand). He collects information from everything around him. I also do not think he is very trusting, and is constantly on the lookout for clues of something going on (whether it is or not).

geministar

I like everyone's thoughts on this card.

When I first looked at it though, I didnt see this page as mistrusting. I thought of him as slowly taking in his environment and lots of thoughts going round and round in his head. He spends all his time thinking, sorting things out in his mind.

I liked earthangels thoughts about the lion because I wouldnt liken the lion to swords, more to wands. So maybe the lion in this card means "mind strength"? And I dont know what the deal is with his legs, because he is standing and they do look strange as if they are crossed, so to me, he isnt physically strong, its his mind that is the stronger part of him and thats why he carries the sword.

Grizabella

I think he'd tend to act impulsively and in a hair-trigger, immature manner. I also think he'd be one who wouldn't want to admit if he makes a mistake.

Ambrosia

Jewel said:
To me this page seems very alert, and like he is carefully listening to sounds in his environment. He is curious, and alert. I see him as naturally a quiet observant person, but he misses very little of what is going on, and is prepare to act should he have to (weapon in hand). He collects information from everything around him. I also do not think he is very trusting, and is constantly on the lookout for clues of something going on (whether it is or not).

Totally agree! I feel as if hes listenining, sounding things out, alert for any danger. I am awaiting this deck so am only going by the scan but yes, he looks very aware to me, and also like he could have quite a sharp tongue if he felt like it. Wouldnt be afraid to tell you exactly what he thinks, perhaps without thinking things through first though.

Grizabella

I think he looks kind of rigidly afraid, like the little boy whistling in the dark. I also think he feels more confident of his intellectual abilities than his abilities as a physical guardian of the castle behind him. He seems to be putting on a false front of bravery.