Baba Comparison Study Group

Little Baron

Of late, I have been using three decks.

The Victorian Romantic
The Fantastic Managerie
The Tarot of Prague

Without the book for the Prague, I lent heavily on what was going on in the Romantic for interpretation of some cards - just to see if there were any interesting simularities and understanding from Karen in the accompanying book. When a little confused, I would lay out cards from both decks.

Today, I receieved the book for the Prague [with a great bag, also]. And I also am getting more familiar with the Managerie [of which is becoming a firm favourite].

But often, I find it very useful to look at cards from all three. Work out simularities and contrasts. Compare characters.

I spoke with Moonbow yesterday and she said that a proposal for a study such as this might be interesting, so here I am, proposing.

Of course, you can throw the other Baba Studio decks into the equation if you like [the Cats and the Fairytale]. I do not have the latter, but I think it would really be intresting to delve deep into the archetypes on more than just the one level, studying each card, side by side with one or two others.

What do you think?

As you know, I do like jumping from one deck to another. In doing this, I think I could use all three quite effectively and the study would broaden my knowledge as 'a whole', rather than just familiarising myself with the imagery of just the one part. You don't need to have three or four of these. But I would suggest that to take part, at least two Magic Realist decks would be a necessity - there will be so many different combinations that I think it might be quite a fun ride.

LB
LB

Little Baron

I take it that this is not a very interesting proposition :D

Well, I'm gonna do it!

*sulks*

LB

faunabay

Don't sulk LittleBuddha! :* I think it's a great idea!

I don't have much time to devote to it as a study group but I'm definitely going to do this with the decks I have when I can. I always learn something different from each baba deck I get. I've never thought to compare them between themselves though. hmmmm..... I'll check in from time to time with your study group, if anyone else joins in LOL, and post when I can.

I have the BBC, Fairytale, Victorican Romantic, and at the moment having borrowed from Jewel :) , the Fantastic Menagerie.

Little Baron

Oh my! Someone speaks! :D

I have only done two cards so far, and they have been very enlightening experiments. I feel that with more decks than just one, each asks questions of each other - such as 'why was that not included?', 'why was that neglected?' and 'what strength does including or neglecting give to the over all message of the card?'. And that has helped me define my current understanding of what I believed certain cards to represent.

In the '9 of Swords', for example, the Prague showed me how to still my mind during panic. But the Menagerie described that panic so perfectly, in a way that I could actually FEEL. It is a terrifying card, I think. In this way, all three cards colaborate and become componants of their title. Does that make sense?

LB

faunabay

What you said about the 9 of swords makes alot of sense LittleBuddha. I keep thinking of something else to say and coming back to edit! LOL The Victorian Romantic has a great 9 of swords too. It shows more of the unconscious danger you can put yourself in mentally. Shows a sleepwalker on top of a high building. But it's also somewhat peaceful too though.

I have done this with other decks when I couldn't really understand the message - laying out the same cards in another deck to give me another outlook. But I haven't done it just for study purposes. I'm not much of a studier! ROFL For that we need to include Jewel and I'll bet she'll jump in here too when she gets to work Monday morning and sees this thread.

Little Baron

I like the unconscious acknowledgement you make FB. The Romantic is the one I am finding the hardest to get a grip on, in relation to that specific card. I can see why the physical situation could instill panic. Just not for the actual person doing it. The Prague and the Menagerie both show paniced images; or at least, it's characters are in that frame of terror. Maybe the stillness of the mind is hinted by the unconsciousness of being asleep. Is this the way to deal with panic and fear - zone out like a sleep-walker; in that state, you may just carry yourself home unharmed. If she were to awake, then danger could be a serious consideration; in fear, she might literally loose her balance when she sees where she is.

Hmmm .. think I might quote this in my thread. I feel like I have made a connection.

LB

Little Baron

Just a few links to cards covered so far. Moonbow and Sulis, maybe you would not mind indexing them for me somewhere, if that is ok.

I am very much enjoying looking into these cards. I have only scraped the surface, I am sure. It is a shame that there is little interraction here, as I find this quite a useful and interesting exercise. And there is so much more to say.

It's funny though. There is around 300 responses in the Bohemian Cats Gold thread, with around 9,000 views. More people seem to have received the Victorian Romantic in the post than unwanted bills. But when it comes to discussing the decks, there seems to be little interest. Is the antisipation of receiving these packs a greater buzz than the actual physical reality. Is it more fun to buy than use. I am just wondering because the discussion doesn't ever seem to balance with the initial interest. Or is it that my study proposals are just boring? :D Having said that, there is little action in the Victorian Romatic group as well. I admit, they take a bit of effort, but working with the three cards I have today has been almost effortless in terms of interest. You only get out, what you put in.

Oh well, here is the links.

Ten of Swords
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=76501

Nine of Swords
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=76543

Eight of Swords
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=76547

LB

.traveller.

I am interested in this study, although I am drowning in other responsibilities at the moment, as well as recovering from the flu. I have the Menagerie with which I am most familiar, the BBC which I find disturbing, and the Victorian Romantic. I haven't touched the VR, other than make sure all of the cards were there. I have a habit of doing comparisons between the Baba decks and the RWS, but I hadn't thought to compare them to one another. The only book I have is the Cats, will that be a problem?

Little Baron

Would love for you to join in. The only book that I don't have is for the Cats, so we are onto a winner, since I have the others, hehe.

But I would be interested in your familiarity and knowledge of the Menagerie. And also interested to find out why the Cats disturb you. We can make a fresh start with the VR.

So, no pressure. Add bits and bobs when you can. Your contribution would be much appreciated.

LB

Nina*

Just to say that I definitely don't find this boring.

I love these decks (the VR and now also the Prague) and am waiting for the BBC also.
I don't know if I have anything interesting to add to a studygroup, but I will nevertheless follow it at one point.