The Star and a pink flamingo

Hyacinth

I have a deck of cards that a friend has given me here, where I'm living, in Poland. I've got searched this site and others to try and find out who the creator of my deck is, but without any luck. I've been looking at my Star card (polish--Gwiazda) a lot lately, and there is a particular element of it that I am having a hard time with.

Next to the naked woman pouring water into a stream there is a pink flamingo. She almost seems to be pouring the water around the flamingo. Do any of your Star cards have flamingos? If so, what is the symbolism/reason?

Thanks for any help you ca offer!

Thirteen

Hyacinth said:
If so, what is the symbolism/reason?
I don't know the artist/creator-of-that-deck's particular reason for the flamingo, but here's what I found by way of symbolism on it:

Flamingos are fascinating birds with a striking appearance. Their pink color is caused by a food they eat which contains carotene. Without this food in their diet their feathers turn white. The ability to change colors gives them the magical properties associated with illusion and shape shifting. Those who hold this medicine have the ability to appear to be what they are not. This ability serves as a disguise when appropriate and allows them to slide in and out of situations gracefully. They make excellent actors and performers.

The word Flamingo comes from the Latin word flame. The Egyptians revered the flamingo as a living embodiment of the sun God Ra....Although those with this totem have psychic abilities they need to strengthen the reasoning powers of the mind using their logic and intuition before making decisions and remember to weigh all sides of a situation before taking action.

Flamingos have a long life span. They are social birds and are very vocal. They are extremely sensitive to loud noises and chaotic situations and will flee from them instantaneously. They teach us how to follow suit and not engage in situations that are detrimental to us on any level.

Flamingos breed for life and are loyal to their partners. They have the longest migration of any other bird. Those with this totem are dedicated to their choices, loyal to their causes and have a tendency to reach further than most to accomplish their goals.
I think it most apt that the Star would be with a Sun symbol--pouringout water for the future, for tomorrow and the rising sun.

Hyacinth

That's my deck! That's my deck! I'm very excited you knew the deck. Mine only has the majors of the deck and the headings are in polish, but it is definitely the Cosmic Tarot pictures--now I'm jealous I don't have the minors...oh well.

So the flamingo is pink in the picture, so it must be getting whatever nutrients it needs from the water the Star woman is pouring. Also the bit about the flamingo having a long migration is useful--the star's water also nourishes the flamingo for the long migration it has, which could be a symbol for the nourishment the fool needs to finish his long journey. Also, migrations are repeated yearly and are cyclical, just like the fool's journey begins again when it ends.

The flamingo in its relation to the sun can also be a short-term goal for the fool. If he uses the hope the star gives him he can make it through the shadows and uncertainties of the moon card to the sun card.

Thanks Thirteen, Thanks Sulis! You've both been very helpful and given me a lot to think about.

temperlyne

I think the ace of cups from the universal fantasy has a pink flamingo perched in the chalice. It might serve the same symbolic purpose there.

AJ

The Wonderland deck which I'm working with now has a whole suit of flamingos, I too appreciate the added info about this species. Thank you.