Asphodel Reading with "New Deck Interview" Spread

Teacups

Oh Oh Oh

I just bought a "used" deck off ebay... but the deck looked very new to me when I examined it....? but anyway... so this is my second deck. I have the Old English and like it's non-threatening pics very well but the minors are kinda vague... so this new deck is the Spiral.

I just laid out this spread, and got 1. 5 of wands!!!!! OH DEAR!
2. King of Pentacles.....? contradictory?
3. 4 swords (great, just great)
4. 2 swords
5. the Sun
6. 7 pentacles (ok that's better but....)

If this deck were one of my DOGS, I'd say it's jealous because I don't love it as much as the Old English deck!!! Is that possible? It sure sounds moody and I'm not sure I'm inclined to trust it.

Gavriela

asphodel said:
I just bought a "used" deck off ebay... but the deck looked very new to me when I examined it....? but anyway... so this is my second deck. I have the Old English and like it's non-threatening pics very well but the minors are kinda vague... so this new deck is the Spiral.

4. 2 swords
5. the Sun

If this deck were one of my DOGS, I'd say it's jealous because I don't love it as much as the Old English deck!!! Is that possible? It sure sounds moody and I'm not sure I'm inclined to trust it.

LOL. I'd say it's argumentative, authoritative, and best used in situations for conflict resolution (because it's always correct, of course :p ). It'll teach you to see all sides to the story - this is good if you're a reader - and you need to trust it and come to it with a good attitude, it's illuminating. And it may take a while, but it will bring you a great deal of success. Just don't get frustrated and give up.

Sounds like a wonderful reading deck.

Teacups

well, the author, Kay Steventon, says it's dedicated to her celtic grandmother. That might explain a lot! That would give insight into the brash opinionated and hard-headedness.... (in the cards too! HA!)

Orb Weaver

asphodel said:

4. 2 swords
5. the Sun

From the cards that you drew, I'd say that maybe you're feeling a little at odds with the new deck. The 4 of swords usually indicates a period of rest. The 2 of swords, the need for some space. Perhaps you should set your new deck aside for a bit, sleep with it maybe, while you become acclimated to one another. After some time try it again and see if you get The Sun. At that point maybe rest your old deck for awhile. Your cards seem to indicate a getting to know your new deck pattern. Just a suggestion

Teacups

FIRERAVEN's new deck interview spread

yes, I suppose I am. I don't think the quality of manufacture is as good as the Old English... they seem more like Trivial Persuit game cards, something your're not meant to handle and hold much. Sharper edges, lot of slick graphics. The hebrew stuff is totally wasted on me. Perhapse not a good choice, but that's how we learn! Wondering if I'm the SECOND person to fail to connect with this particular deck.. considering the condition (pristine/used)

The point of Fireraven's spread however is to find such things out, and on that note, I give a vote of approval to the effective spread---thank you Fireraven!

Sheri

Hi Asphodel!

I don't see where you are getting the negativity in this reading.

I think this reading is telling you this deck can help you grow and expand your knowledge.

In the 5 of Wands, there is a conflict, but sometimes you need conflict. Which side is which? If you are standing up for what you believe is right, its necessary. Also consider what part the deck is playing...your ally. So its most important characteristic would seem to be that it is going to challenge you...what you think, what you know. That sounds good!

King of Pentacles as strength. That seems like a double good (King is strong in Strength position). This would seem to indicate that this deck is going to help you reach or realize your goals.

4 of Swords as limitation of the deck. Not about relaxing or pausing. It's about the opposite - challenging you and helping you grow. It isn't going to let you become complacent with it.

2 of Swords as what it brings to the table or teach you. There are two sides to every conflict. This deck is going to teach you this, by challenging everything you think you know about Tarot.

Sun as how to best learn from/collaborate with the deck. I think this is a really great card in this position. It's a Majors in the position too, and the only one. This is the most important thing about the reading. Be open to its light, however different it seems than you are used to. Use your creativity, you might do well reading with this deck intuitively (don't consider what you already know about Tarot and just go with what the pictures are telling you) but remember to keep an open mind about what you see, and consider both the good and bad meanings...not just bad ones.

7 of Pentacles as potential outcome of relationship with deck. A rewarding future, open to all the possibilities. Growth.

One of the hardest things for me to learn was to give myself permission to have a "good" reading. Try to be objective as possible when doing them. It's hard, but worth it. Also, let yourself have fun with the decks - if a meaning that you assign to a card doesn't seem right, then don't use it and let the card speak to you. Card meanings are created by people just like you - it's their take and your take is no less valid than theirs is.

I think this deck is telling you that it will make a fine addition to your collection. It might never be your favorite deck, but it might be an important one for you.

Hope this helps you :)

valeria

Teacups

Quote from Valeria:
"One of the hardest things for me to learn was to give myself permission to have a "good" reading. Try to be objective as possible when doing them. It's hard, but worth it. Also, let yourself have fun with the decks - if a meaning that you assign to a card doesn't seem right, then don't use it and let the card speak to you. Card meanings are created by people just like you - it's their take and your take is no less valid than theirs is."

----------------------------------

Yes, I agree with you after I thought about it for a minute... It's my personality probably... I was reading it like the cards were sending me a messge that they were having an attitude problem...! ha! but of course, it's my attitude, they're just cards

point well taken, thank you

Sheri

No problem, Asphodel!

I used to do readings for myself and every time I would come up with something that tended toward something bad. It was really hard to recognize I did it and then try to make a conscious effort to try to be objective about it...even when good cards were showing.

Hehe, for your entertainment, here is a link to the FIRST reading I ever posted. I totally freaked out, and Marion brought me back to reality :) I even mention that I looked up a meaning in a BOOK (not that there is a problem using books, I just don't anymore)!

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53856

Have fun and learn with the rest of us :D

Teacups

Idea for a new thread...

hey, you should make a whole thread out of this ... this would be so helpful and insightful for people who are new and learning...!

Because look at you-- you were new once, and now you're a moderator!

put down the old reading, and explaination just as you have done for me, then re-interpret it now if you were to draw those same cards now and go on about the 'mature and experienced' way you approach a spread - (especially in a spread about yourself where objectivity can be so elusive)

Because I personally feel that what you have shared is inspiring and comforting and I bet other beginners would be encouraged as well.

Thanks for sharing, it's very helpful and I appreciate it. I have the books, but find this forum to be so enriching to 'round out' the experience that the books are dry in comparison. LOVE LOVE LOVE the internet!

Teacups

followup

ok, I got so disgusted at the deck that I actually laid each suit in a pile and made sure that each card was accounted for...you know, since I bought it off ebay and all. It checked out fine. But when I re-assembled the deck I did a much better randomizing of the cards (ie one of each suit grab a major until they were all restacked as a whole deck again) and I've been getting good readings ever since! I love my Old English for the childlike pictures and warm-fuzzy feelings but it is very very hard to read and get a sense of the minors. It's not helping me learn at all. So now I'd go so far as to say the Spiral is the one I turn to when I wanna make it clear. I spent all day yesterday on the whole adoption/what did they do behind my back/ issue using the Old English and it was "clear as mud". So this morning I pulled out the Spiral and laid 3 cards per Brighteye's suggestion and that's the clearest it's been yet. No wonder so many people lament "It just doesn't speak to me" about the choice in decks