Tarot & Sexuality Study Group: 7 of Swords

Apocalipstick

I randomly pulled a card from ye olde RWS for this, and this is what came up.

In regards to our focus, the first thing that comes to mind about this card is a bedtrick. Shakespeare seemed to have loved a good bedtrick, and there are folk tales just about in every culture that deal with the ol' switcheroo in bed. There is even one particularly delicious ghost story involving Don Juan, a widower and his lovely yet spectral wife.

The 7 of Swords has that whiff about it, particularly with the smug look and sneaky padding away the figure on the RWS has going. This is the bed-trickster getting away with it.

The interesting thing about bedtricks is the questions of identity they raise. Outside of a folk-tale or fiction millieu, would you recognize your lover in the dark? Most people would say "yes," and mean it. But in the context of a bedtrick, the person you think you've spent your night with is really someone else altogether. And this person knows that the only way to obtain sexual access to you, is to lie about personal identity.

If sexual union is, at its most intrinsic level about sharing, and sharing ureservedly, then the bedtrick fails to connect the two lovers even as it provides the illusion that a connection has been forged.

In a more everyday context, the 7 of Swords can theoretically represent any attempt to gain someone's interest through presenting an appealing facade. The self is kept separate, at a distance. There is only pretend emotional closeness, in spite of whatever genuine feeling may be there.

Any other ideas?

Apocalipstick

On a more positive note, this card could also refer to attraction based on intellectual sparring, or any other exchanges of witticisms.

I'm specifically thinking of His Girl Friday, and the rapid-fire exchanges between Rosalind Russell (Hildy Johnson) and Cary Grant (Walter Burns).

For example:

Walter Burns: There's been a lamp burning in the window for ya, honey... here.
Hildy Johnson: Oh, I jumped out that window a long time ago.

Or:

Walter Burns: Sorta wish you hadn't done that, Hildy.
Hildy Johnson: Done what?
Walter Burns: Divorced me. Makes a fella lose all faith in himself. Gives him a... almost gives him a feeling he wasn't wanted.
Hildy Johnson: Oh, now look, junior... that's what divorces are FOR!

And of course they end up together again by the end of the movie.

sweet_intuition

Just brief thoughts about the RWS 7 of swords, will elaborate later

This is one interesting card to look at on a sexuality basis.

At times, it signifies lewd designs, concupiscent wishes, and in a way sexual confidence and faith in one's amatory technique. In a way it indicates living out one's sexual fantasies, finally getting a chance to "do it" with someone you've been fantasizing about, or perhaps try out those kama sutra positions that you've been too chicken shit to even dream of doing.

Yet it at times signifies quarrels and arguments regarding sex (somebody came way too soon, or was too frigid to cum in the first place). Perhaps one of them isn't too pleased with the genitals of their partner (too teeny) and is just doing it for the sake of it, but is getting action on the side. Even slander connected to one's sexual technique

The crowned one

My first two thoughts were venereal disease or methodical seduction. After a bit of research I have decided it could also indicate an affair.

Personally, the sexual energy of most cards is low or at least does not register with me right away, which is one of the reasons I joined this study group, for insight. Well except for the Empress she is full of sex-appeal.

cherryberry

wow- it feels very tricky for me to link this card with sexuality....lets see, I start typing and see if something comes to me :p
In my Sharman-Caselli we see the guy running away with all the sword, he is running towards the person looking at the card....so, I sort of pick up the thing that he/she might be quite skillful and creative between the sheets.

Coming up with all sort of wild and out of the box ideas, maybe some (un)usual toys as well, it might mean though too, that he/she has loads of experience and seems not really interested in something stable, more like have fun as long as it lasts ;)

Then he/she is packing up the secret box and tools and rushes off again.