Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

The crowned one 
Moderation

Reading someone without permission.

I was thinking about doing a reading on my nieghbour/friend as he just told me he might be selling his house, and his reason seemed veiled,his eyes downcast when he gave his answer to my asking why. It is his right to tell me anything he wants, and if I sit down and have a few beers with him he certainly will spill the beans, but I was going to do a reading now to see why he is moving, and what problems he is having. Then it crossed my mind I have not asked him if I could do this, and I am not even sure if it is possible to read someone else without them being aware of a question this direct. I think I could do it, but is it ethical? I guess we do read without permission every time we read a relationship question for someone so it should not be a problem if I read my neighbour...but.. Maybe I feel I am just being nosey rather then helpful at this point, reading for the wrong reason.

Ah! But you are using your brain to dispute my new-age wisdom..

It's not intuition, its intelligence.
The crowned one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Papageno 
Citizen

can it be done? yes.
should you do it? that's up to you. who am I to cast stones.
have I done it? yes.

but common sense tells you the reason is probably financial and if you really have to know then use the cards. don't embarrass the poor man any further by bringing it up again, not unless he volunteers to share this with you.
if he can't look you in the eye, it can't be good.

that's how I would handle it.
Papageno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
The crowned one 
Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papageno
can it be done? yes.
should you do it? that's up to you. who am I to cast stones.
have I done it? yes.

but common sense tells you the reason is probably financial and if you really have to know then use the cards. don't embarrass the poor man any further by bringing it up again, not unless he volunteers to share this with you.
if he can't look you in the eye, it can't be good.

that's how I would handle it.
Money crossed my mind but we are a pretty well off nieghbourhood, Still you are right, it can't be that good.

Your way of handling it seems kind.

I like the it can be done part, but not necessarily for my friend. I figured as much.

Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Grizabella 
Tarot Reader/Fortune Teller

Maybe he just felt like it wasn't anyone else's business why he was selling his house.

What I'd say is--do the reading if you're curious, but just do it as an exercise in seeing whether the you're reading the cards accurately. Then if you do find out the answer from him, it will be interesting to go back and see what you interpreted the cards as saying.

Just came back to say that we're always reading for others without their permission even when we think we're not. Everyone needs/ask for readings about situations that involve other people in some way, and if we refused to do those readings, we wouldn't be doing very many readings at all.

We are made by magic. All of us in general are magicians. ~Andre Pierre

Last edited by Grizabella; 07-04-2007 at 09:41.
Grizabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Sinduction 
Citizen

I honestly don't see the harm in it. Some refer to it as "psychic spying" I say meh. They're just cards with little pictures on them.

It would be good exercise too, for checking accuracy. I agree.

PDR 2009/2010 ~ Transparent Tarot

78 Weeks ~ Vargo's Gothic
Sinduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
The crowned one 
Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire*
Maybe he just felt like it wasn't anyone else's business why he was selling his house.

What I'd say is--do the reading if you're curious, but just do it as an exercise in seeing whether the you're reading the cards accurately. Then if you do find out the answer from him, it will be interesting to go back and see what you interpreted the cards as saying.

Just came back to say that we're always reading for others without their permission even when we think we're not. Everyone needs/ask for readings about situations that involve other people in some way, and if we refused to do those readings, we wouldn't be doing very many readings at all.

Just about what I was thinking.

Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Papageno 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The crowned one
Money crossed my mind but we are a pretty well off nieghbourhood, Still you are right, it can't be that good.

Your way of handling it seems kind.

I like the it can be done part, but not necessarily for my friend. I figured as much.
yes, there are other reasons why people move......but if they're being evasive, can't look you in the eyes instead being casual and forthcoming about it; well..... my experience has been he may be doing you favor by not spelling it out............
there are some things in peoples lives you're better off not knowing about

IMHO do yourself a favor and just use the cards

it's a really fascinating exercise
Papageno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
TomTom 
forever loved

I had this discussion with my friend who thinks nothing of consulting the tarot about other people without permission.

Tarot cards are just cards made of paper? Don't we expect to receive honest answers from the cards? If yes, then I firmly believe that asking without permission is ethically wrong.

To me, unfortunately, it is not mentioned in the tarot ethics code at all.

If you absolutely want to know, ask your neighbour directly. Otherwise wait until that person is ready to talk.
You may ask what YOU can do to help your neighbour.

Aside from all this, I think that too much of what you are thinking, what you are inferring, will give you not the right answer.

Regards

TomTom
TomTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Debra 
sporadic magic

I'm inclined against it.

If you're his friend, you should respect his wishes--but give him a chance to talk if he's troubled and feels so inclined.

If you're not his friend, you should...ah....mind your own business, unless you fear that his reasons for moving might have a direct impact on you.
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
The crowned one 
Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra
I'm inclined against it.

If you're his friend, you should respect his wishes--but give him a chance to talk if he's troubled and feels so inclined.

If you're not his friend, you should...ah....mind your own business, unless you fear that his reasons for moving might have a direct impact on you.
I hear what you are saying. I used my question as an example for a general inquiry for discussion. Still I appreciate all the direct feed back to my example as it is relevant.

Old 07-04-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today