Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996


    · Decks   · Readings   · Forum   · Home
Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Forum Community What's New Home

  Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering is completely free, and allows you to post, search, watch threads and more. Hope to see you in the forum soon!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
The crowned one 
Moderation
 
The crowned one's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2007
Location: Canada.
Posts: 18,346
Reading someone without permission.


I was thinking about doing a reading on my nieghbour/friend as he just told me he might be selling his house, and his reason seemed veiled,his eyes downcast when he gave his answer to my asking why. It is his right to tell me anything he wants, and if I sit down and have a few beers with him he certainly will spill the beans, but I was going to do a reading now to see why he is moving, and what problems he is having. Then it crossed my mind I have not asked him if I could do this, and I am not even sure if it is possible to read someone else without them being aware of a question this direct. I think I could do it, but is it ethical? I guess we do read without permission every time we read a relationship question for someone so it should not be a problem if I read my neighbour...but.. Maybe I feel I am just being nosey rather then helpful at this point, reading for the wrong reason.



__________________
Full cup, steady hand.

Ah! But you are using your brain to dispute my new-age wisdom..

It's not intuition, its intelligence.
The crowned one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1

Ads by Google
via Google Adsense
 
 
 

  #ADS
Papageno 
Citizen
 
Join Date: 05 Oct 2006
Location: where
Posts: 2,342

can it be done? yes.
should you do it? that's up to you. who am I to cast stones.
have I done it? yes.

but common sense tells you the reason is probably financial and if you really have to know then use the cards. don't embarrass the poor man any further by bringing it up again, not unless he volunteers to share this with you.
if he can't look you in the eye, it can't be good.

that's how I would handle it.
Papageno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
The crowned one 
Moderation
 
The crowned one's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2007
Location: Canada.
Posts: 18,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papageno
can it be done? yes.
should you do it? that's up to you. who am I to cast stones.
have I done it? yes.

but common sense tells you the reason is probably financial and if you really have to know then use the cards. don't embarrass the poor man any further by bringing it up again, not unless he volunteers to share this with you.
if he can't look you in the eye, it can't be good.

that's how I would handle it.
Money crossed my mind but we are a pretty well off nieghbourhood, Still you are right, it can't be that good.

Your way of handling it seems kind.

I like the it can be done part, but not necessarily for my friend. I figured as much.



__________________
Full cup, steady hand.

Ah! But you are using your brain to dispute my new-age wisdom..

It's not intuition, its intelligence.
The crowned one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
Grizabella 
Tarot Reader/Fortune Teller
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 Jul 2004
Location: northwest US
Posts: 18,259

Maybe he just felt like it wasn't anyone else's business why he was selling his house.

What I'd say is--do the reading if you're curious, but just do it as an exercise in seeing whether the you're reading the cards accurately. Then if you do find out the answer from him, it will be interesting to go back and see what you interpreted the cards as saying.

Just came back to say that we're always reading for others without their permission even when we think we're not. Everyone needs/ask for readings about situations that involve other people in some way, and if we refused to do those readings, we wouldn't be doing very many readings at all.

Last edited by Grizabella; 07-04-2007 at 09:41.
Grizabella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
Sinduction 
Citizen
 
Sinduction's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2007
Location: oHIo
Posts: 5,727

I honestly don't see the harm in it. Some refer to it as "psychic spying" I say meh. They're just cards with little pictures on them.

It would be good exercise too, for checking accuracy. I agree.



__________________
I don't believe in luck but I do subscribe to the theory of horribly inconvenient coincidences. ~Timmy Turner

PDR 2009/2010 ~ Transparent Tarot

78 Weeks ~ Vargo's Gothic
Sinduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
The crowned one 
Moderation
 
The crowned one's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2007
Location: Canada.
Posts: 18,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire*
Maybe he just felt like it wasn't anyone else's business why he was selling his house.

What I'd say is--do the reading if you're curious, but just do it as an exercise in seeing whether the you're reading the cards accurately. Then if you do find out the answer from him, it will be interesting to go back and see what you interpreted the cards as saying.

Just came back to say that we're always reading for others without their permission even when we think we're not. Everyone needs/ask for readings about situations that involve other people in some way, and if we refused to do those readings, we wouldn't be doing very many readings at all.

Just about what I was thinking.



__________________
Full cup, steady hand.

Ah! But you are using your brain to dispute my new-age wisdom..

It's not intuition, its intelligence.
The crowned one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
Papageno 
Citizen
 
Join Date: 05 Oct 2006
Location: where
Posts: 2,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by The crowned one
Money crossed my mind but we are a pretty well off nieghbourhood, Still you are right, it can't be that good.

Your way of handling it seems kind.

I like the it can be done part, but not necessarily for my friend. I figured as much.
yes, there are other reasons why people move......but if they're being evasive, can't look you in the eyes instead being casual and forthcoming about it; well..... my experience has been he may be doing you favor by not spelling it out............
there are some things in peoples lives you're better off not knowing about

IMHO do yourself a favor and just use the cards

it's a really fascinating exercise
Papageno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7
TomTom 
forever loved
 
TomTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Nov 2004
Location: Misty old growth forest
Posts: 3,930

I had this discussion with my friend who thinks nothing of consulting the tarot about other people without permission.

Tarot cards are just cards made of paper? Don't we expect to receive honest answers from the cards? If yes, then I firmly believe that asking without permission is ethically wrong.

To me, unfortunately, it is not mentioned in the tarot ethics code at all.

If you absolutely want to know, ask your neighbour directly. Otherwise wait until that person is ready to talk.
You may ask what YOU can do to help your neighbour.

Aside from all this, I think that too much of what you are thinking, what you are inferring, will give you not the right answer.

Regards

TomTom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #8
Debra 
sporadic magic
 
Debra's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2006
Location: Yes.
Posts: 13,584

I'm inclined against it.

If you're his friend, you should respect his wishes--but give him a chance to talk if he's troubled and feels so inclined.

If you're not his friend, you should...ah....mind your own business, unless you fear that his reasons for moving might have a direct impact on you.
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #9
The crowned one 
Moderation
 
The crowned one's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2007
Location: Canada.
Posts: 18,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra
I'm inclined against it.

If you're his friend, you should respect his wishes--but give him a chance to talk if he's troubled and feels so inclined.

If you're not his friend, you should...ah....mind your own business, unless you fear that his reasons for moving might have a direct impact on you.
I hear what you are saying. I used my question as an example for a general inquiry for discussion. Still I appreciate all the direct feed back to my example as it is relevant.



__________________
Full cup, steady hand.

Ah! But you are using your brain to dispute my new-age wisdom..

It's not intuition, its intelligence.
The crowned one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #10
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:35.

Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Forum Community What's New Home

Aeclectic Links
What's new
Add your deck
Write a review
Contact us
About us
Home
Popular Forums
· Tarot Decks
· Using Tarot Cards
· Reading Exchange
· Tarot Trading
· Talking Tarot
· Lenormand
· Chat
Useful Forum Links
· See today's new posts
· Upgrade your membership
· Win in our competitions

· Get help using the forum
· Search the forum
· Contact a moderator
Elsewhere on Aeclectic
Tarot Card Meanings
Free Tarot Readings
Tarot Books & eBooks
Decks by Theme
List All Decks

©  Aeclectic Tarot