Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Spread

Pendle Hill

In 1943, Psychologist Abraham Maslow published his famous theory. Briefly, he contented humans have basic needs and strive to higher needs to achieve success. You may have seen this expressed as a pyramid, basic needs at the bottom, climbing to the most complex at the top. So combining one of my research areas of motivation, and my interest in Tarot, and in particular the use of 5 card spreads, led me to use this spread to help see where we are, and what we need to do to get there, in relation to a question.

So the spread would be:

Card 1 - Psychological needs
The basic - breathing, food, water, sex, sleep.

Card 2 - Safety needs.
security, employment, morality, family, health, property.

Card 3 - Love needs.
friendship, family, intimacy.

Card 4 - Esteem needs.
Self -esteem, confidence, achievement, mutual respect.

Card 5 - Self Actualisation.
The highest level, completion - Morality, creativity, spontaneity, problem solving, acceptance of facts and others.

I have used this spread successfully to guide querents in relation to their direction, achievements, expectations and goals.

Elven

Hi Pendle Hill :)

(There's also a place called that in Australia too ;))

Back to the spread :D

I like the idea behind the spread, but I am curious to know how it is used and applied to the client?

Do you base the reading on a question?
or is this more a snap-shot of the querants physological state at the moment of the reading?
Does the querant have input into the preparation of the spread,
or do you determine the layout and the cards preparation.

As for interpreting the spread ... is the idea to look at the placements and how the cards interact with each other?
meaning can you detect an overcompensation in one area and a lack in another? Does the spread give an indication of how the querant might go about realigning any imbalances.
Does the spread have the ability to enable the person to a higher standard and quality of life - if so, how it it shown in an interpretation.

correct me if Im out of line :p ... I feel that the spread would be a great Majors only spread to start the reading - with a full deck spread placed alongside it ...

Do you have an example of the spread in action by any chance? I'd like to see how it develops a reading with a question attached to it.

Also looking at it, the placements are very 'full' - being that one placement covers quite a few topics which although related, are also subtopics within themselves .... do you find that the cards stipulate certain subtopics more than others or do you feel that the card addresses the subject (placement) as a whole?

for example:
Say that the card which was drawn for the 1st placement was the Devil.

Card 1 - Psychological needs
The basic - breathing, food, water, sex, sleep.

Do you feel that the sub-topic 'sex' would be a predominant feature and issue related to the persons psychological needs, and the other sub-topics are secondary, but are influenced by the Devil as well?

I love the spread!
Just trying to understand its application applicable to a querant, situation, question and interpretation - also to see what other spreads could be used in a secondary form to compliment it (as well as Tarot - using Oracles for a progressive reading)

Thankyou for sharing it!

Blessings Elven x

Pendle Hill

Hi Elven,
Thanks for your reply and interest. I have to say straight away that I'm new to this and have possibly bitten off more than I can chew, so I very much value your guidance here.
As I said, I thought this would be an interesting mix of the conceptual that I teach, and the practical that I do via the Tarot at my leisure. It is still very raw and experimental, and you are free to interpret it as you will. If you're not familiar with Maslow, have a quick read around, he's quite an interesting guy. Anyway, i'll try to answer your particular points:

-I have used it specifically, but would be very useful to provide a snapshot, I just haven't had a chance to do it yet.
-I always let the querent handle and prepare the cards, the layout was a simple L to R, although some kind of pyramid as Maslow is always illustrated would be a nice touch.
- I do look for interaction and succession between the placements, and haven't yet relied on the spread to show realignment, but simply to give the Q an insight into the root of the problem, which they can usually identify. This possibly is my own inexperience.
- I've really not done enough of these to comment fully on it's ability, but was more putting up what I think is a very interesting concept for discussion.
- I take your point on Majors, which would be more succinct, but if using the minors, their relationship to majors wouuld still be significant.
- I may have made the subsections too complicated by just explaining them, by just using the main five headings and the reader having knowledge of the subheadings, may make for a more insightful reading.
- My interpretation of the Devil here would be the same. Maslow lists sex as a basic animal instinct, revisiting later in the pyramid as the more refined intimacy. In that context, I would wonder if the Q may have had a fling, seduction or suchlike which they regretted.
- My own example is a successful businessman, who had got where he wanted but was wondering more deeply whether he had self actualized. For this (fifth) card he turned out The World. So had he got there, or was it telling him to go and get it? On balance, I interpreted it as completion.
- Another is of an academic lady, intersted in the Tarot for many years, and we experimented with this spread to look a her relationship of three years which she was uneasy about. The Tower as Card 1 suggested to me that there could be fundamental problems here, if Maslows first level appeared flawed. To cut to the chase, the lover of three years was in fact married.

To finish, I don't have all the answers here, and am probably punching above my weight and talking utter rubbish, but I think this an interesting area to explore. Thank you for your interest.