Celtic Shaman's Pack

faunabay

I bought this today and love the artwork!!! Don't know how the cards will work for me, but it seems to be very interesting reading the book so far.
Does anyone have this?? How does it work for you? What do you think???? Tell me everything!! LOL

zorya

do you have a link so we can see pictures of the cards?

faunabay

I could only find one site that has 4 cards!! :(

http://www.celtdigital.org/CP.htm

I also just realized I didn't say that the deck is by John Matthews with artwork by Chesca Potter (Greenwood Tarot)!!!!

Oh and by the way -- it's out of print!!! LOL But before everyone freaks out Amazon still has some listed!! :D And while looking for pictures I found some other sites that still have them listed (don't know whether they have any left or not)

It's really a great looking deck! I'm one of those that didn't really like the greenwood but I love this deck!!!!

catlin

Ohhh, this is a gorgeous deck! Faunabay, I really envy you!!!

ladycj

**Lady CJ frantically writing the name of this deck to her growing list of "must have" cards. ** LOL. Beautiful Deck. WOW. I want some too, then we'll talk. lol

Martin

Hello,

I have this deck, and got it mainly on the strength that I love Chesca Potters artwork in general, plus I have a great respect for the Matthew's and their work.

They are extremely valuable for journeying and meditation, but you have to put an awful lot of groundwork in first. I have utilised this deck whilst drumming with my beloved Bodhran & had great results, and I have also used the cards as inspiration when writing rituals for my coven.

I feel it is worth buying John Matthew's Celtic Shaman book, which has much material that will help put the cards into perspective, and contains exercises that develop the necessary abilities.

Martin

faunabay

Thanks Martin. I have been thinking about getting the matthews book as well. hmmmmmm?? LOL
I only have about 5 books I'm half way through right now - what's one more? ROFL :D

Kyrielle

Lovely deck. Found it for a good price on Amazon; am now awaiting its delivery safely to my mailbox.

-- Kyrielle

the hermit

Martin said:
Hello,

I have this deck, and got it mainly on the strength that I love Chesca Potters artwork in general, plus I have a great respect for the Matthew's and their work.

They are extremely valuable for journeying and meditation, but you have to put an awful lot of groundwork in first. I have utilised this deck whilst drumming with my beloved Bodhran & had great results, and I have also used the cards as inspiration when writing rituals for my coven.

I feel it is worth buying John Matthew's Celtic Shaman book, which has much material that will help put the cards into perspective, and contains exercises that develop the necessary abilities.

Martin
The deck discussed here is a beautiful and interesting one.
I too have a great deal of respect for the Matthews' and their work...
but i must disagree with the recommendation of "The Celtic Shaman".

The book is currently out of print as far as I know and one reason is that unlike so many of his other books, including "Taliesin: The Last Celtic Shaman", "The Celtic Shaman" was not well received in shamanic circles.
What he writes in this book is far from any Celtic shamanic tradition that I and other students know of.

Basically, the book takes core shamanism and, in place of North and South American Indian images such as those Michael Harner writes of, Matthews has substituted a hodge-podge of unrelated excerpts from Welsh, Irish, and Arthurian folk tales. Here's an excerpt from a review of the book--
"For example, Matthews substitutes the "crane bag" of Mannanan Mac Lir (an Irish figure) for the medicine bag that Harner adopted from various indigenous peoples. There is no evidence that Irish religious figures ever had "crane bags," and the symbol is not found in any other Celtic tradition."

IMHO a reader interested in learning such core shamanistic practices would be better served by simply reading "The Way of the Shaman" by Harner. Then, if interested in the possibilities of Celtic shamanism "Taliesin" mentioned above would be of help and perhaps other books by Matthews.

Again I respect both of the Matthews' and most of their works, including the deck. But give "The Celtic Shaman" a pass and look to other books for knowledge and guidance in this particular area.

Kyrielle

Hmmm, Hermit, it may be an art deck for me rather than something to work with in depth, then. It still was a good price for some pretty pictures with mythological significance, if not genuine shamanic significance. Shamanism kind of baffles me anyway, but it is good art. And I do love the myths.

-- Kyrielle