Camoin Marseille, new method of reading

AJ

at this link
http://www.camoin.com/en/TdeM/index.asp about 1/2 way down the page there is a deck of fanned cards with a title that says:
A NEW METHOD OF READING THE TAROT
when you click on read more (and I do have the site showing English by clicking on the US flag) the answer is in French.

Is this something for sale, or an invitation, or could one of our French speaking members translate for me?

I'm not finding the New Method...
thanks so much, and pre-apologizing if I'm missing something right in front of my face.

jmd

From some of the other information I have read in various places, I suspect that the so-called 'new' method (and agree it is not new, though probably unknown to Camoin that others used it) is encapsulated in the sentence 'study of symbols and the relations between them'.

Part of this includes carefully looking at, for example, the relationship of cards looking at each other (for example, observing how two courts face the same direction, opposite ones, or each other).

No doubt there are 'new' elements in the sense that Camoin may have his own peculiar take on the specific meanings of the cards, and perhaps there are also other elements that are peculiar to his preferred style.

One the site, however, this is quite difficult to tell.

Paul

Well AJ, you have, but had no way of knowing, opened up a very guarded Pandora's Box or Forbidden Treasure Guarded by Griffins, depending on how one looks at it.

Camoin has been teaching his method at workshops in France and limited parts of Europe for awhile now and has been successfully swearing his acolytes to virtual secrecy-- and I mean virtual, or Internet, secrecy. I must admire the man for being able to command such loyalty on keeping his method almost silent on the Web.

I have learned the method from good sources, but not Camoin himself, which is impossible at this time being American. And, alas! I am now also taking the oath, so to speak, and remaining discrete out of respect for my teacher and my teacher's teacher. At any rate, Camoin has been working on his book wherein this method will be revealed...soon.

I've always hoped that Camoin would be the ticket to revealing the Tarot de Marseille to a Western/British/American audience, which had been suffocated by RWS/Crowley Tarot thinking and deck-clones.

I really wish Camoin well, and hope that he glorifies the TdM outside of the French world. Those who have taken Camoin's courses have maintained discretion as regards publishing the method before the Wine of the Master has Ripened. So, I wait, and wait, and wait for the official revelation of this Cabernet Sauvignon of Tarot Methods.

I look forward to Camoin's delicious book!

AJ

Out of the mouths of babes, a Griffin be upon me!
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell me that, I really do appreciate it. I'm looking forward to my studies with the Marseille, perhaps it will coincide with this new amazing method.

Again, thanks so much to both of your for your responses.

yaraluna

isn't this the content of the Jodo book " the way of tarot"?

Paul

In fact, no.

Jodorowsky's work certainly provides a plethora of information and foundational knowledge of the TdM, but does not explicate Camoin's method, per se.

I have not found that reading Jodo's book puts me at odds with Camoin's method, however; the two coincide nicely.

frelkins

just for those who don't read a lot of french, the site and the brochures explain that he has retrieved symbols that were lost in the switch to 4 color printing. for example, the presence of the unicorn's horn. . .

anyway, it appears his "logical," "infaillable," method is partially based what the cards are holding, which way they are facing, how the symbol on one card pairs with the symbol on another, etc. but apparently what makes it really special is that only his restoration shows the "missing" symbols and renders them properly for the first time in centuries.

he also talks a lot about synchronicity and archetypes, as well as a higher power, so i'm thinking there's a lot of jung here. I also like that he calls it a form of mental gymnastics for the 21st century! :)

Paul

Smart is as smart does (borrowing from Forest Gump's "stupid is as stupid does").

This method with the Camoin-Jodo deck delivers results. I was once skeptical and a tad snotty (yeah, I'll own that) about the Camoin deck and the so-called "method" and its secret society handshakes and all. Now, I am sold and humbled.

Proof is in the pudding, they say.

frelkins

well paul i think all of us here are happy that you've found a method that works for you. that's what's important. another thing i liked about the camoin brochure is that he apparently teaches it to business executives as a decision-support tool, which is interesting.

Paul

Indeed. I must qualify my statement to avoid appearing arrogant (it may be too late).

I've always thought that Tarot moulds itself to the methods and penchants of the reader. So, this method happens to resonate with me, but there are many methods, many paths, and thus many posters at AT. I have learned from so many here and elsewhere.
;)