Quick Question about Tarot vs Oracle

Queen313

Hi.Hope this is in the right place, I'm still pretty new to tarot, and I really know nothing about Oracles, but I was wondering what are the differences between the two? And which do you like better?
Thanks!

Astrae

Oracle decks are generally defined as non-Tarot decks, be they cartromancy, divination, meditation, etc.

Most Tarot cards follow a system that stays consistent for the most part, while Oracle decks really follow no rules.

I use both, separately and in conjunction with one another. I really have no preference, because they really don't compare with each other. It's like apples vs. oranges, it depends on the situation and your current taste.

Kenny

Tarot is also cartomancy...

But as Astrae noted: they are like apples and oranges, simular but different.

Grizabella

Also, usually oracle decks don't have a set number of cards. Tarot does have a set amount, usually 78.

FaireMaiden

Tarot decks have 78 cards... 22 Major Arcana cards and 56 Minor Arcana cards... The Minor Arcana can either be 'pips' or 'scenic'...

Oracle decks can have any number of cards, have no major or minor arcana per se, and follow whatever so-called 'rules of interpretive and/or fixed divination' that the author of the deck sets up...

Tarot decks, to me, follow a much more structured format than Oracle decks, altho both can, and are, used very intuitively by many readers...

I use both kinds of decks, enjoy them, and get great readings from them... I use Tarot mostly for readings and incorporate the Oracle decks as an adjunct to the readings...

Gavriela

Tarot is also technically an oracle. And there are some oracles that follow very precise systems.

But as a rule, a tarot will have 22 or 78 cards, major and minor, four suits. There are some exceptions, and tarot and oracles are both used for divination.

Past that...

Queen313

Ok.Thanks for clearing that up for me!:)