Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

rissa 
Citizen

How do YOU draw cards for a reading?

I refuse to do "pull it off the top" readings. I always fan the cards in a horseshoe, and make the querent select cards by selecting cards that "feel right". Then I arrage them, describe what each position means, and allow them to move anycards they'd like before I read them.

I feel that this helps make the reading more personal to them, and honestly, I feel that it gets me better readings. I believe very much that people can sense which cards are for them, even from the back (some people crab a chunk of cards that are all together, andyway, but at least it's their choice.)

My way makes me CRAZY for personal readings (I agonise over it, and it takes me forever to pick my cards!) but I just can't imagine doing it any other way.

What do each of you do?
rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1
StellarMyst 
Citizen

It varies depending upon the reader's issue(s) in question with me.

~ Bob Dylan ~ Mr Tambourine Man
StellarMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
rissa 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarMyst
It varies depending upon the reader's issue(s) in question with me.
How so?
rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
starrystarrynight 
Intolerance intolerant

I shuffle, cut from right to left, and deal off the top. I also always take note of the base card of the deck, as I feel that was one of the cut-to cards, and that seems significant to me. As a rule, it usually is, too.

Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
Grizabella 
Tarot Reader/Fortune Teller

I shuffle, take a middle portion out of the deck and move it to the top, and then deal off the top of the deck if it's just me doing a reading for myself or to fiddle around practicing.

If I'm reading for someone else, I have them cut the deck and put it back together. Then I may fan the deck out and let them choose cards or I may deal off the top of the deck after it's put back together.

I don't use a shadow card or whatever you choose to call the bottom card off the deck.

Intuition is not an inferior form of mind--it is, in fact, superior to ordinary intellect, more like a "super-mind" into which you plug during extra-ordinary states of consciousness. ~Vicki Noble (creator of Motherpeace deck)
Grizabella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
SunChariot 
Citizen

Well I only read for others online, so the querent does not get to touch or choose the cards. But what I used to do after shuffling is to split the deck into three piles with my right hand, then place my left hand over each to feel which pile was giving off the most heat or energy, put that pile on the top with the other two on the bottom and then pull the cards from the top.

Lately, I got bored with that so I have been trying something new and I've done it a few times and have it's worked fine for me. I hold the deck in my hands face side up and let a number (less than 78) come to me. Then I count off that number of cards and that is the one. I.e if the first number that comes to mind is 38, I count the cards off and the 38th card is the one...I've found that fun to do.

Bar

"Love this world with the joy of a child, because anything else is only make believe"
(told to me in a meditation)
SunChariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
Staramber 
Resident

I shuffle and cut the deck, one pile for each card I need and take the bottom. I usually do all of that myself because while I believe the sitter could do it themselves I don't think they'd necessarily want to.

I spent the longest time not being able to shuffle, I'm not brilliant now. Cutting depends more on the person. If it's a serious in person reading (I get a lot of practice in taking my cards to parties, well when I get invited) then yes, if it isn't then I'll do it. Just to save time I suppose.

Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7
Babsalon 
Resident

When I started out with The Faeries' Oracle for friends I'd have them pick their own cards, face-up, just by the look the Faery was giving them. Beautiferous chaos ensued.

Now I shuffle, spend a minute feeling for The Best Cut (think it's just a phase?), cut three piles to the left, and deal from the top. The bottom card generally has to get a word in before I deal. I think there's an echo in here. *grin*

Starrystarrynight, are you a Thoth gal too?

<3Babs
Babsalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #8
Sinduction 
Citizen

I pick right from the top after I or my querent shuffles and I place the cards upright since I don't read reversals.

PDR 2009/2010 ~ Transparent Tarot

78 Weeks ~ Vargo's Gothic
Sinduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #9
Astraea Aurora 
Citizen

It all depends upon my mood.

Mostly I pick them right off the top.

There are also days I pick them off the top and the bottom. Sometimes when I finished shuffling I say "Ok, the third (or whatever number) card and from them on", so I neglect the first two cards. I hardly cut the deck, hardly fan them out and pull by "feels right". But it happens from time to time ... when I'm in the mood.

Blessings, Astraea Aurora

Old 18-05-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #10