Which Rider-Waite?

Scion

For recolorings, I'd go with the Universal Waite.

The Hanson-Roberts coloring in the UNiversal is pretty faithful to the original artwork (i.e. doesn't obscure tons of details) and the faces are better than the constipated/irritated-looking characters of the Radiant. If you think the Waite-Smith is harsh, the Albano will also seem primitive, although it has a funky logic of its own.

All this being said, my favorite strict clone is the aforementioned International Icon, for many reasons...

Scion

Sophie

Sulis said:
The one I like the best is the Rider version (often found on ebay UK very cheaply). It comes in a blue 2 part box with a picture of The World dancer on the front.
It has a lovely matte finish and no copyright marks anywhere to be seen. The cards almost feel like fabric, they're gorgeous.
I second that. It's the most beautiful I've seen - and I got it thanks to your recommendation, Sulis :)

I have heard some great things of the Illuminated Tarot, which is recoloured RWS, but it's rather pricey, because it's hand-made.

I really don't like the Original RWS - it's dull and muddy, and I can't see the details.

I loathe the Universal Rider Waite- Mary Hanson has changed the faces and it's just not Pixie Colman-Smith's work anymore. But I know some people like it for that very reason.

Scion

I had forgotten the actual Rider-printed Waite Smith, Sophie!

The older blue box Waite-Smith with the World on the boxcover that's fairly common in english used bookstores and ebay. Beautiful texture, clear printing... best of the available Waite-Smith reprints, barring perhaps the OOP Deluxe. But if you the find the original WS too blocky or crude, you're better with a recoloring.

ZenMusic

>the Rider version... It comes in a blue 2 part box with a picture of The World dancer on the front.

Now I want one; If you can't see the box (on ebay) how would I recognize this deck from the description or pictures ? Is it USG? out of print?

Sulis

ZenMusic said:
>the Rider version... It comes in a blue 2 part box with a picture of The World dancer on the front.

Now I want one; If you can't see the box (on ebay) how would I recognize this deck from the description or pictures ? Is it USG? out of print?

Hi Zen Music,

It looks just like the U S Games version but there is no copyright mark in the white border.
I'll keep an eye out for you on ebay UK if you like, they appear quite frequently there.

wytchwood

I have an old Rider (printed by AGM) with the two part box and the World on the top, but it has a tiny Copyright mark on the bottom right of each card. Is this another one?

Zoe

53rdspirit

Hello.

First, I had to chuckle when I read the "Albino" Rider-Waite deck. I was visualizing the pictures on such a deck.

Anyway, back to topic, I am probably in the minority in choosing the Albano-Waite deck as my favorite deck for personal readings. I think it mostly has to do with the deep and vivid coloring that has emotionally attached it to me for some reason. I originally purchased the deck years ago after watching a video on the Tarot and one of the ladies was using a deck with an all-white back with a small gold sun emblem approximate center. I was instantly enchanted by the back, searched and found the deck (not knowing which Tarot it was at the time) and then when I saw the odd coloring of the card pictures--everything just clicked. Often, I will like a card's back but not the pictures and vice versa. I liked both on the Albano-Waite. I think that is how you should choose your RWS--the one that feels like it was just waiting for you to find it--you'll know it when you feel it. Yikes, I almost sound like I'm having a love affair with my Albano-Waite, but the cards have become very personal to me.

I also have the different variations of the RWS but I cast my vote for the Albano-Waite.

Antonius

Rider deluxe

I think the Rider Deluxe is the best version, it feels so silky smooth and looks great with the gold edges, it also has the same colour tones as the Rider deck in the blue two part box with world on lid.
Its just a shame the deluxe is difficult to get hold of these days although you do see it pop up on ebay occasionally, is it out of print? i'm not sure.
Oh by the way my own Rider deck in blue two part box dosen't have any copyright writing on the cards, but the deluxe does.

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 428
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 457

mysticmonkey

Abrac said:
That is what gives it that "pixelated" look. It is an exact reproduction, right down to the "oops" line on the Wheel of Fortune. I'm even starting to favor the greenish coloring over the light blue of the regular version.
Pixelated I can appreciated, the colouring on the strength card for instance is ok.
It's the outright blotchiness on say the Magicians face that I can't get used too. I find it far too distracting. He looks like he has heat rash. *lol*
I wondered if it was something to do with this particular print run or if this deck has always looked like that?

I do have the Universal and the colouring on that is lovely as people have mentioned but it does seem different someone from the original. (for instance the Hermit doesn't traditionally stand on one leg ;) )

I might take a look at the Rider version that people are recommending. I like the fact that someone said it has a different texture to the cards. I personally don't like overly slick cards. It can suit modern tarots but with traditional pictures I prefer a more matt finish.
Then again I also like the look of the Ator which is going in another direction completely. :D

I feel our conflicting opinions may not be helping you much. *lol*

wytchwood

53rdspirit said:
Hello.

First, I had to chuckle when I read the "Albino" Rider-Waite deck. I was visualizing the pictures on such a deck.

I never noticed that, but I am laughing my socks off now! :D

Zoe