Which Rider-Waite?

strings of life

This is a very helpful post for us newbie Tarot folk. Or, even advanced Tarot users who went another route with their deck selections.

Out of all the Waite decks, when looking online, I liked the Albano-Waite deck. However, when I went to the shop by me, they only had the Universal Waite. I was thrilled when I saw it; I would have gotten it out of any of the versions if they had them there. It's a great starter deck--but then again--any deck can be.

I am really looking forward to getting my Hoi Polloi Tarot (1972), which is another RWS version. This was my mother's favorite deck and she has passed it onto me; I am going to get it this month when I visit her.

The colors are so vivid, and, the deck will have sentimental value, which is something that can't be replaced.

TarotCharioteer

There's always so little love for the Albano Waite version of the RWS, haha! ;) So I'm in that small minority that feels it's the most awesome version of the Rider Waite Smith - I personally love it, though it was a very close toss-up between that and the Original Rider Waite (I have the most recent printing, by the way - with the great US Games card stock that's thick, non-glossy-minimal-lamination & printed in China). Unfortunately, the Albano I have is the US Games card stock that's EXTREMELY GLOSSY/LAMINATED & printed in Italy...though I'd say those mega-glossy cards will probably last a very long time, I find them so hard to work with and shuffle without half the deck escaping from my hands lol! ;)

Anyways, back to the Albano Waite: I love the strong, "garish" (as I'd seen it once described haha), vivid coloring of Pamela Colman Smith's original line drawings. And that was important to me, newbie to the tarot the I am - I wanted RWS decks that were true to the original line drawings done, which would exclude many of the clones, i.e. Radiant, Golden, etc. In particular the strong blues and purples used are stunning, and after a while you get used to the strong greens and oranges as well (my least favorite aspects of the deck).

I have the standard RWS (in 3 sizes lol), the Albano, the Original and the Universal (which is my least favorite, actually...a little too children's book illustration-y for my taste). The Albano Waite is number 1, with the Original a very, very close #2, standard #3 and the Universal #4. :)

My $.02

Richard

I have an early mini Albano, which is very nice but too small for my medium sized paws. I got a standard Albano not long ago, but the printing is sloppy. I used the Universal for awhile, but it soon became rather cloying. The images are too pretty. They are easy on the eyes but, for me, seem to lack directness and incisiveness. I'm sure I would find fault also with the various other clones, so for me it's the regular deck. However, I would be hard-pressed to choose beween a good printing of the Albano and the standard Rider-Waite.

Le Fanu

I don't think there is "little love" for the Albano Waite. I never see anyone criticise it outright like they do the RWS but it has a very loyal and loving public! After the RWS, I think it's the one most people like.

If you've ever seen the laminated U.S Games version next to the original Albano Waite you'll see that - yet again - U.S Games haven't gone for authenticity.

I have a mini "Tarot Productions" 1968 Albano Waitefrom Moongypsy which has very sharp lines and lovely colours. I had the U.S Games "printed in Italy" Albano Waite but swapped it for a spread cloth. I also have an older "Printed in Belgium" edition.

Back to the thread title; I would say that my favourite RWS is the one with the best lines/intact drawing (PCS Commemorative set deck) with the colours (and backs!) of the Original RWS.

TarotCharioteer

I'd love to get my hands on those older, out of print RWS decks someday... I'm definitely a newbie to tarot... well, I'll rephrase: a newbie to a more serious learning of tarot ;) For a long time - until this year, actually - the standard RWS was the only deck I had (the one I have is, I believe, the one US Games still puts out - printed in Switzerland, I think? Bright yellow box w/ the Magician on it - I bought it in the mid-90s lol). Buying these different versions have made me fall in love with the deck again, even though I have new favorites.

I guess I should've rephrased my earlier post: by "little love", I simply meant that there's always a lot of negative criticism about, what I believe, is the most striking aspect of that deck: the coloring. For sure there's a dedicated following for it...but I'd think we're in the minority and that probably at least two or three various RWS editions/re-colorings would top it in a list of favorites.

But yes, I further my vote that the best RWS is still the Albano Waite :) If you love strong-hued colors, this deck will deepen your appreciation for Pamela Colman Smith's awesome artwork :)

Richard

I just wanted to remark that the coloring of the Albano is not arbitrary. For the most part it follows P. F. Case's color symbolism for the Majors and Courts. Since the Pips in the Case (BOTA) deck are non-scenic, Albano felt free to use his/her own preferences for the background colors. I find the green skies in some of the cards (such as the Pentacles) a bit oppressive, but one can get used to this Albano ideosyncrasy.

bhakti

For quite some time I held the very small-minded thought that a RWS deck is a RWS deck. All this talk of yellow boxes and blue boxes was all just a bunch of hooey to me......and then I woke up! Started exploring the world of RWS editions. I actually found that the favorite in my (admittedly small) collection was an early yellow box US Games edition. That was until my Blue box Waddington arrived in the mail. It is a luscious deck. The card stock is soft yet sturdy, the colors are beautiful and not nearly as bright and "in your face" other editions. The cards show their history, the years of shuffling and use, but with no sign of wearing out any time soon. IMHO, this is a deck to find if you want a really beautiful, vintage RWS. This is the one....until earlier editions find their way to me ;)

TarotCharioteer

LRichard- I had read in an online review that the coloring in the Albano Waite was more in line with the Golden Dawn color scheme than the other versions, and I must admit that that's what tipped the deck in my favor when I was deciding which of the different RWS decks I wanted to buy first. The Golden Dawn system of tarot is actually what re-sparked my tarot interest this year...which has turned into a full fledged tarot passion lol!

And I'm glad I did purchase it- some of the colors are just stunning (as I had written before, especially the blues and purples). I agree that the greens (and oranges and browns, imo) take some getting used to, though ;)

Richard

donvicente said:
LRichard- I had read in an online review that the coloring in the Albano Waite was more in line with the Golden Dawn color scheme than the other versions, and I must admit that that's what tipped the deck in my favor when I was deciding which of the different RWS decks I wanted to buy first. The Golden Dawn system of tarot is actually what re-sparked my tarot interest this year...which has turned into a full fledged tarot passion lol!
Indeed, P. F. Case was a GD initiate and incorporated the GD color scales into his coloring instructions for the Tarot. There is a lot of latitude in the GD suggestions, and Case merely made them a bit more specific.

Satori

Le Fanu said:
I don't think there is "little love" for the Albano Waite. I never see anyone criticise it outright like they do the RWS but it has a very loyal and loving public! After the RWS, I think it's the one most people like.

If you've ever seen the laminated U.S Games version next to the original Albano Waite you'll see that - yet again - U.S Games haven't gone for authenticity.

I have a mini "Tarot Productions" 1968 Albano Waitefrom Moongypsy which has very sharp lines and lovely colours. I had the U.S Games "printed in Italy" Albano Waite but swapped it for a spread cloth. I also have an older "Printed in Belgium" edition.

Back to the thread title; I would say that my favourite RWS is the one with the best lines/intact drawing (PCS Commemorative set deck) with the colours (and backs!) of the Original RWS.
How do you do it fanu?

Now I want that commemorative edition. I never usually want the RWS b/c of the awful coloring....but you make me want this one.