Symbology Study Group Master List:

tabi

This is a study group for the symbols in the tarot cards, each deck is individual and each symbol reflects that. However sometimes we don't always managed to get the idea that the creator/artist is trying to rely to us. Hence why I asked if anyone was interested in this in this thread, there has been a lot of interest generated.

This obviously is going to be the master list where we link all of the cards we are talking about in here. I think we should start with the Tower card since Fudu started us out so well with it:

Fudugazi said:
What a fabulous idea, Tabi! I love the study of symbols - from different points of view, personal, cultural, historical, mythical, etc. Symbols are rich enough to fill rows of encyclopedias (and that's just the academic stuff, let alone what we can add to the collective thinking personally).

I'm pleased you chose The Tower as your example. It's one of my favourite cards. Not an easy card - though it has some fun sides to it - but a much misunderstood one.

Some key symbols on it: a Tower, lightning, people falling or leaping, or doing somersaults...

Towers mean different things to different people, and come in different shapes. I evoked some of this on another thread - but there is a difference between a watch-tower, a sighting tower, a space observatory tower, a prison tower, a mirador, a rook on the chessboard, a lighthouse, a birdwatch tower, a skyscraper, a library tower such as had Montaigne,... All these are towers, but when struck by lightning, different things get shaken. The destruction of a lighthouse is a disaster, the destruction of the miradors of the Berlin Wall was a joyful festival...

And lightning has all sorts of different meanings too - literally, being struck by lightning kills you, but metaphorically, it can mean you fall in love, have a sudden idea, are shaken by a shock, are blinded on the road to Damascus, have all your worldly goods burnt up in a stock-exchange crash,...

And then there are the different cards. Some show the whole tower being destroyed, like the Minute. Some show scenes reminiscent of war air-raids, like the Thoth - painted during the Blitz in London of course. Some simply decapitate the Tower, like the Marseille, and some show the tower strongly resisting the elements, like the Llewellyn. We read all these diffently, but will still have cultural referentials for "tower", "lightning", "storm", "surprise", "war".

There is always a shake-up in the juxtaposition of tower and lightning. The question is - a shake-up of what, and what's its effects?

It seems only fitting. ;)

After each round anyone can pick a card that they would like to study, but please only one card at a time for those of us who are trying to juggle too many things. Just add a post on this thread with the link to the new card.

Also you can use as many decks as you want to. If there is a card that you don't understand, maybe someone else can help you. If there is one that speaks volumes to you and you have no problems with, it may help someone else. Don't be bashful, speak up!

tabi

Card: Two Week Period of Study

1. MAJORS:
  2. Tower: June 03-June 17
  3. Hanged Man: June 18-July 2
  4. Fool: July 3-July 17
  5. Devil: July 18-August 1
  6. Star: August 2-August 16
  7. Death: August 19-September 2
  8. Wheel: September 3-September 17
  9. Chariot:http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1209718#post1209718 September 26-October 10
  10. Moon: October 11-October 25
  11. Emperor:http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1238759#post1238759 October 25-November 8
  12. World: Novermber 9-Novermber 22
  13. Hermit: Novermeber 23-December 13
  14. Sun: December 14-December 31
    [*]Judgement: Jan 1-Jan 14
    [*]Magician: Jan 15-Jan 28
    [*]High Priestess: Jan 28-Feb 10
    [*]Temperance: Feb 12-Feb 26
    [*]Strength: Feb 27-March 12
    [*]Hierophant:
    [*]Justice: March 29-April 12
    [*]Empress: April 12-April 27
    [*]Lovers: April 27-May 13
    [*]Miscellaneous Majors:May 14-May 31

COURT CARDS:
Kings: June 03-June 17
Queens: June 17-July 2
Knights: July 13-July27
Pages: Nov 2-Nov 17

MINORS: *****Three-Ten NOT LINKED YET*****
Aces: Nov 18- Dec 2
Twos: Dec 8-Dec 28
Threes:
Fours:
Fives:
Sixes:
Seven:
Eights:
Nines:
Tens:

tabi

Note to the Above Outline

I was thinking about having the group take a break from the 15th of December until January 4th (Friday) or January 7th (Monday) due to the holiday season and all of us celebrating in different ways and shapes but also some being out of town. If people still want to work with the group I would suggest going back through these above threads and working with them some more. Maybe with a new deck or a fresh look at them giving them a difference appearance.

tabi

And with the tolling of the bells the New Year begins and so with it comes more SSG! I seriously hope that I keep up with this better then I did in the latter part of well what is now last year. We only have 9 Majors to get through and oddly I seem to have managed to get all of the 'big bad scary' cards in the first 13 <--Seriously, count them. :confused: Ah well I'm sure we will struggle through some how. ;)

A few questions for you that I need you to PM me please:

QUESTIONS:

1. To do Minor cards at all?
  2. To have the Court as part of the Minors or seperate?
  3. To do them by suits or by numbers: IE: All Cups or All Aces?
  4. Random cards in decks that we have but we would like to share or get more help with?

Please copy or quote and paste this in a PM and send it back to me to have an idea of where to go after the Major.

Thanks tabi

tabi

Should we do the Suits also?

afrosaxon

tabi said:
Should we do the Suits also?

YES!!! :D

I've missed these study threads.

Err...did we finish the courts? I think we did Kings and Queens...and Knights. But did we do Pages?

T.

Trish76

THE go-to person LOL

^^ OK totally off topic BUT I had to laugh at your tag line!! LOL!!!! ;-)