Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

coolpm 
Resident

reversals, should we or should we not?

In my opinioni think we should not, Its old fashion and i feel that if the cards want us to know something they would tell us without the reversals!
coolpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Pendle Hill 
Resident

I don't. in life's journey we can only go forward and not back, so reversals are unnecessary in the grander scheme of things. I make this clear to querents before i start too, ithink this helps create an air of positivity regarding the coming reading.
Pendle Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Papageno 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Hill
I don't. in life's journey we can only go forward and not back, so reversals are unnecessary in the grander scheme of things. I make this clear to querents before i start too, ithink this helps create an air of positivity regarding the coming reading.

I think I've lost you there. moving forward in life negates the importance of reversals?......and we should not use reversals (when appropriate) because it is old fashioned?
Papageno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Ahria 
Citizen

In some decks I do in some I dont. They chose or if they don't since they inanimate something choses for me. Lately I am seriously clumsy and seem to be dropping my decks and then everything goes upside down.

I use pendulums as well for my guides and out of curiosity I asked if I should or shouldnt they said yes, seemed fair to me so some decks I do some I don't.

Not sure I am making any sense.

Edit: Every card has a positive and a negative meaning and you can usually pick this up from the cards around them, although having reversals makes it easier to see where the negative is. Ying and Yang there is always good and bad no matter what, because there has to be balance.

“Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.”
Ahria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Roewyn 
Citizen

I personally don't use them (yet).

I am not opposed to them at all, but I am still getting comfortable with using Tarot upright.. so thats my reasoning.. lol

Eventually however, I do plan to try to incorporate them..

Roe

"Trauma and Tragedy. These often mark the beginning of a soul's ability to mature. Lessons learned by the soul are sometimes quickly forgotten by our earthly minds, thus hardship is required to relearn the lesson."

Roewyn <3
Roewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
finaflight 
Citizen

I too have been trying to understand reversals...I have been here a year and I thought perhaps I could handle trying the cards up-side-down.

But the more I try to understand, the more comfortable right-side-up feels.

I wa also thinking that I havent really been in a possitive zone lately, so maybe staying with right side up is best for me right now - Not that up-side-down is always negative - but it can feel that way if your not in a positive head space.

just my thoughts on that

Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Ahria 
Citizen

There is never a wrong or a right way just follow your heart.

“Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.”
Ahria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
coyoteblack 
Ball of Doom

I think if you dont use reversals( I do not) then make sure there is a position in the spread where the negative can come out . Or look at the card up right but know it has to meanings. or at least can be muted.

I know from the 78 week study group every card has a positive and negative meaning.

Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
sleepingcat 
Citizen

I do- I need to look at the art diffrently some times.

I dont go in with the preconcived notion that a reversal does somthing specific though.

Some times cards are reversed so the person on them is facing the right way! ^^

It's part of how they arrange themselves though.

Lately I've been getting a few spacefic cards reveresed a lot and I think they're blocking me from reading.

~Keeper of the Sacred Oils, herbs and spices~
sleepingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Seafra 
Citizen

I use reversals if the artwork allows me. I find it helps to clarify what I am specifically "blocking" in a given situation and that helps to clarify my thinking. With reversed courts it gives me a clearer hint at the mood or intent of an individual I may encounter.

I believe all of the cards have a negative and positive message upright or reversed which is further enhanced depending on how it falls in a layout. And sooo many additional meanings!

The card's creator gives a hint - do they include meanings in the LWB that comes with the deck? If so, they've created the deck to be used with reversals included.

But I agree, it is all in what you feel comfortable with. Go with your gut - your personal High Priestess. hehe - Sea
Seafra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today