To buy or not to buy?

GlamourPuss

I have always been 'drawn' to the Thoth deck but have been put off by it's 'bad press'. Recently however I feel really drawn to it and am amazed by it whenever I see pictures of it. I must admit to being somewhat afraid of it-why exactly I do not know.

Should I buy it? If yes, which version?

Maybe someone could ask their deck for me?

Blessings

rogue

Afraid of the Thoth deck? Why? If you're seriously into tarot it's a staple. If you're going to get a copy, I suggest the regular-sized one in the purple box.

The crowned one

I personally do not like it at all, but if you are attracted to it, you owe it to yourself to go to your local store, pick it up and see how you feel with it in your hands.

Seems very popular with a lot of people so there must be something to it.

Disa

You can't let "bad press" stop you from what you are drawn to. If you don't get a copy for yourself, you will always wonder "what if". It's probably the bad press that's made you afraid of it. Gaining a greater understanding of that which we fear, causes the fear to dissipate.

I, too, was drawn to the Thoth deck and kept being pulled back to it over and over. I did finally get the deck in the purple box. While I don't feel the deck resonates with me at this time, I'm still glad I have it. One day, it may really have something to tell me.

Good Luck,

Disa

franniee

I bought the big one a couple of months ago because I was very curious! and I was at a meet up in NYC with some ATers and Scion suggested I pick up the Lon Duquette book to help me on my way to understanding the deck. To be honest I have purchased a lot of decks in the past few months and I haven't had the time to spend on the thoth - for me it seems like I will need time with it to digest it. I've been reading Tarot for 11-12 years - RWS clones - I looked thru it but really didn't have the time to devote - yet. :)

I believe if you are drawn to something go for it!

Someone warned me when I was learning about Thoth that the deck was dark and evil - and you need to be very strong to fight the forces that will pull you in..... OH PLEASE! I think that is a lot of nonsense - but then again }) I happen to be a very strong person. :D

go for it if you want..... don't let people sway you. be true to you. :love:

Grigori

GlamourPuss said:
Maybe someone could ask their deck for me?

I asked my deck, Queen of Cups. You should buy two versions so you can compare them :D

GlamourPuss said:
Should I buy it? If yes, which version?

The large in the green box is the easiest to study, though a bit large and not easily handled. I'd recommend getting the large and the smaller purple box also. You will have one easy to study, one easy to shuffle, and later when you are comfortable, I recommend you trim the borders off the larger one and have the best of both worlds.

GlamourPuss said:
I must admit to being somewhat afraid of it-why exactly I do not know.

Get DuQuette's book also and start your study of the deck with that book. It will help you understand the deck, as well as the reputation, and leave you better able to make up your own mind.

Have fun. Its really a great (the best) deck :)

GlamourPuss

Queen of Cups-wow! Seems like a yes to me from that alone similia. Thank you for doing that for me. I feel more confident now and feel I need to take the plunge. I have held back for so long on this one as I just never felt confident enough.

Thank you all again.

Little Baron

Buy it!

I have the large green boxed one, that you can get over here quite easily.

Makes the picture easier to see. And it is nice and chunky. But for everyday reads, like 'Little Similia' says, pick up a middle sized one.

There's absolutely nothing to be scared of. I was a bit dubious about it. And also about my Voodoo deck, but treated with care and respect, you'll have no problems, whatsoever. It is quite a light and airy deck in places.

LB

L'Etoile

If you're drawn to it go for it! I've never really liked it personally (the chaotic pictures really put me off) but I did buy it, even though I don't really like it. I did it mainly for study and comparison purposes and I have to say, even if you don't read with it much (or in my case at all) it will give you some insights into the cards that other decks won't. Keep in mind that Crowly was a mysogynist, and a lot of the cards reflect that (what, me biased?).

Abrac

It's hard to go wrong with the standard sized deck in the purple box, however, I would bypass Duquette's book. It is an attempt to 'dumb it down' for all those not bright enough to 'get it,' which is not only insulting, it only makes it more difficult when eventually confronted with the truth. To me, this book makes it painfully obvious that its author is one at least who doesn't get it.

Fear is compounded when it is coupled with the unknown. Why not just go straight to the source. Crowley's autobiography, The Confessions might be a good place to start, or The Great Beast by John Symonds. There are a few other good biographies available but most of them get the bulk of their information from the previous two sources. Then there is Crowley's The Book of Thoth itself. While it might take longer to work through books like these, in the end you will be much more richly rewarded than by taking the easy way with something like Duquette's book.