reading the c/c

january

Re: CC fan here. (dodges rocks)

rota said:
Has the 'shadow card' been pointed out here? This is the one on the bottom of the deck after the shuffling and cutting is complete. It's not part of the spread, obviously, but some sources say that this bottom card provides a sidelight onto the question. I think of it as a stage-whisper from behind the scenery.

I always use the card at the bottom of the deck. what a perfect way to describe it as a "stage whisper". Sometimes it just reinforces the entire spread although not part of it and has no positional meaning. Also, i see it as a grounding force as it was on the bottom supporting the first ten from the top drawn for the reading.

~ january

pixienyc

Re: CC fan here. (dodges rocks)

rota said:

I had thought dislike for the CC practically a universal opinion here, until this thread gained a few more responses. I personally love the CC. Use it all the time, and find it immensely helpful for obtaining insights.

Hi rota,

Me too, on all counts! I was surprised to see such vehement responses in the other thread about the CC. Glad to see there are other people here who find it as useful and insightful as I do. I use this spread almost exclusively, though I agree there are better spreads for certain situations, or for quick answers.

Interesting point about the "shadow card." I'll have to try that out.

Thanks isthmus nekoi for starting this thread!

pixie

meatbox666

I tried the shadow card thing and I would like to thank you for that bit of information. You have reinforced an hypothesis I have made regarding shuffleing the tarot cards.

When you are doing a reading for someone, look at the bottom card while they are shuffleing them and that gives you insight to what the querent is thinking. Try it.

I used the shadow card and it helps to reinforce the reading. thank you so much.!!

Lee

Here is an interesting way of reading the Celtic Cross which is contained in the book to the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg by Cynthia Giles.

She uses nine cards, not ten. She doesn't use a crossing card .

Her position meanings are as follows:

1. Present situation.
2. (underneath) Unconscious knowledge.
3. (to the left) Past influences.
4. (above) Conscious knowledge.
5. (to the right) Future events.
6. Querent's view.
7. View of others.
8. Hopes and fears.
9. Future direction.

Now, she suggests reading the cards so as to tell a story, like so:

"Once upon a time, ________ happened (Card 3, past events). So later, ___________ (Card 1, present situation). The central character (querent) believed ____________ (Card 4, conscious knowledge), but didn't realize that ___________ (Card 2, unconscious knowledge). He/she perceived _____________ (Card 6, querent's view), but everyone else thought ____________ (Card 7, others' view). Then, unexpectedly, _____________ (Card 5, future events). The central character didn't know what to do because he/she was very afraid/hopeful that ____________ (Card 8, hopes and fears). If nothing changed, it seemed certain that ___________ (Card 9, future outcome)."

I think it's an interesting exercise to try this out. Ultimately it might be a little limiting to do all your readings this way, but I think it helps in terms of pulling the reading together into a story.

-- Lee